BinderPlanet.com

Welcome to BinderPlanet.com the World's Premier IH Website.

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mini-Build 11 ~ Steve L

Binder TV

Damian Grihalva

High Wheeler
Welcome to yet another Mini Build. This one is a prelude to a major build on our site, and will eventually take its place among the great builds in D&C's great history or buildups. Some of you will not like this build. If you're faint of heart or a purist that can't bare seeing a sweet IH built up beyond your own goals, you may want to stop right now ~ because this build might get a little ~ well ~ on the wild side.

No one builds Scouts like D and C. Unlike all other scout shops, D and C has continually pushed the envelope in developing the latest and most innovative suspension solutions. As we've seen with the Evolution Build we started proto-typing a link and coil kit where other guys are still toying with leaf springs ~ some don't even have their own Reverse Shackle kit. Well, as you've read in the Evo project, I've decided that its time to make a big change on how we build our scouts. So to showcase the 'Xtreme Link Conversion" (get it ~ XLC. Sorry, bad joke) lets get down and dirty with a really sweet and clean original Super Scout II.

Steve has been a customer with D and C for quite some time. About a year ago he called us for help building his Super Scout into a real super Scout. We sold him everything needed to perform a Competition SOA along with gears, lockers, springs, alloy shafts and a much of other stuff. The goal, 35-37" tires. Well as many of us Scout guys know, things don't always go as quickly and cleanly as we plan. That was last year, this year it became appearant that the Scout wasn't making much progress towards its destiny on its own. So with another call ~ plans were set for an extended stay in Colorado. The goal, one reborn scout that will redefine the term "Super Scout".

Background. Steve is the original owner of this SuperScout II. He bought it in 1982 from an IH dealer who couldn't sell it. The price: $7,000. Steve and his father SOA'd the rear and built some extended spring mounts up front to match. Although this could be considered cheesy in our day and time, it was about as good as it gets in the 1980s. Once the lift was complete, Steve took it to the tire shop and started sizing up tires. He wanted the biggest tire he could fit, and the answer was a 35" Mud tire ~ I think they're called Gumbo mudders ~ I have to check when I get to the shop Monday. Although he's had it for about 25 years, the Scout only has 25,000 original miles. But don't think because it looks so nice that Steve has babied it, it's had some paint and body work done as well as having a dent or two pulled.

Either way, here's the begining rotating picture:
mb11start.gif

The goal of this build will be to highly modify the scout while keeping it streetable ~ AND full bodied. Steve has always said that this SSII can go anywhere ~ and many of his friends have tried to prove him wrong ~ but now its time to make this scout be able to go anywhere a full bodied rig can go ~ on or off road. Although Steve wanted 40" tires, his near perfect body, good paint and the desire to keep the scout from being completely cut up quickly changed his mind. However, any attempts to talk him lower than 37s proved pointless. After all, isn't the deviding like between the men and boys at 35"? ;)

Last edited:

Damian Grihalva

High Wheeler
I forgot to attach these pictures to the last post ~ sorry.

So far the build will have the following components:
  • D and C's new XLC (Xtreme Link Conversion) Suspension Kit. This includes Sway-A-Way Coil-over Shocks up front and Coils in the back.
  • HySteer w/ Ram Assist
  • Engine will get a DUI dissy and a TBI conversion.
  • Trans will get an Automatic swapped in with RV Gearset, shift kit, higher stall converter, bolt-in sprag and a Jeep tailshaft housing.
  • Transfer Case will be swapped to a twin-sticked Dana 300, 4:1 TeraLow Gears, Heavy Duty Outputs w/ CV shaft front and back.
  • 64.5" WMW axles will round off the powertrain. Custom HighPinion Dana 44 up front and a 9inch rear axle. Both will be stuffed with 4.56 gears and ARB lockers. Alloy shafts will round out the axles as well as rear disc brakes.
  • The interior will get some rust fixes (driver floor has a hole from the only year Steve drove this Scout after a snow storm), Rhino Lining, Full Cage w/ aftermarket seats.
  • The exterior will be shod with a full compliment of D&C bumpers and sliders.
  • Tires will be an agressive 37" on alluminum beadlocks.

There will be little things we haven't included ~ such as the air system ~ but that goes without saying. I'm glad to say that this build will yeild a full bodied Scout when finished ~ and we'll even attempt to keep the trimming to a min.

So with that, I hope you like what you see, and I'm sure you'll enjoy seeing the rebirth of this SuperScout II.

EDIT:
If you've noticed, the Mini-Build directory thread shows this build as 1 of 4. We are building 4 Scouts with our new XLC suspension package for a special price. If you like what you see here, as well as what you saw in the Evo Build, and would like to be part of these 4 special builds, please contact me via PM or Email.
mb11_1.jpg

mb11_2.jpg

mb11_3.jpg

Last edited:

Damian Grihalva

High Wheeler
Frame sleeves aquired on Saturday, Axles delivered to Tom to convert the Driverside HighPinion to a Passenger side on Sat as well. Parts are arriving: ARBs, 4.56s, master rebuild kits, Alloy shafts, Disc brakes, Joints, brakets, and several small stuff was delivered last week. Scout is getting torn down now ~ got pictures on the way.

Still waiting on DOM tube (going with 2.25" lowers, 1.75" uppers) ~ it was supposed to come in last Thursday but will be delivered on Tuesday instead. Once that's done we'll be ordering the TBI and DUI system, buiding a TF727 for it, and a 4:1 D300.

Pictures taken, but left the camera in the truck. ~ POSTED.

EDIT: Steve (aka Heman) didn't even realize that was posted by you. Sorry about that!

EDIT X2: Just got the call, Coil-overs have arrived.

mb11_4.jpg

mb11_5.jpg

mb11_6.jpg

mb11_7.jpg

Last edited:

Damian Grihalva

High Wheeler
looks good so far, is the exshaust tube kinked? i wonder if that was causing the hot floor???

The exhaust is kinked in a few places, underbody is considerably more dirty than I thought it'd be ~ so I'm sure there is some rust holes in there that are contributors.

As for updates. A few things came in, we finally got the DOM in, that took longer than expected, as well as the coil-overs and a few odds and ends. Just to give you guys some comparison, the new XLC are MUCH more beefy than my past 4-link systems. Here are some pictures. The first two are just the difference between the old stuff and the new stuff.
mb11_8.jpg

The first shows the difference in DOM we are using. it lacks proper perspective but the one on the right is the old 2" x .250 wall DOM we used on projects 2, 3 and Rusty. The new stuff (left) is 2.25" x .375" wall DOM. Needless to say, its BIG!

In the next picture, you see the size difference between the new large flex joints and the old 3/4 x 3/4 hiems. Easily dwarfed by the new, the flex joints sport a 1 1/4" thread that is 5" long and is all forged. Unlike the hiems, they incorperate misalignment spacers and 'bush-down' to a 9/16" bolt (versus the 1/2" of the old). They are also completely rebuildable when they wear out years down the road.
mb11_9.jpg

Middle picture is the tube, w/ insert and joint all together. Doesn't look very big until you see the next picture w/ my hand in there as reference. Just to give some scale, my glove size is XL ~ so next time your at HomeDepot, got into their glove isle and try one on. You'll quickly realize just how beefy these links really are.
mb11_10.jpg

mb11_11.jpg

Last edited:

Damian Grihalva

High Wheeler
Well lets move to the upper links. They don't need to be so beefy, so they aren't. We made these links out of 1.75" x .281" wall DOM. Still big and beefy, just not AS big and beefy as the lower links (seen above).
mb11_13.jpg

Here are a couple pictures. As you can see, even the 'little' stuff is pretty big in my hand.

The other picture shows 3 sets of upper links at the lathe ready for some fine threads (no we aren't buying them t-shirts ;) ~ sorry bad joke)
mb11_12.jpg

Last edited:

Damian Grihalva

High Wheeler
Ya, I know. I'm not sweating it ~ if I sweat things like that ~ I'm in the wrong business. I've seen and worked on worst. Besides, everything that can be froze up will be cut off anyway :devil2: ~ that's the benifet of this suspension. ;) I may have to do some preasure washing under there after we get it back on its feet ~ just to clean things up a bit.

Speaking of which, the rear axle is being rebuilt and cleaned up, frame ties are done and ready to go in. By the end of the week we'll have quite a bit of progress to add to this page. Stay tuned.

heman

Farmall Cub
hey, happy 4th. haven't heard or seen anything for quite some time, have you heard anything from the rim guy? are there any picture updates? i hope everthing is going as schedule???

Damian Grihalva

High Wheeler
Well, the rear suspension hit a snag with the guy making a custom tap to tap the upper links. As soon as that is done ~ which I've been told "will get that done today" since last Monday. I went over there yesterday and gave him hell about it and now he's doing it.

As soon as the upper links are tapped (Thursday Morning) we'll have the rear suspension ready. The axle is stripped, truss and frame sleeves are done, and lower links made. Just need those darn uppers ~ that's what last weeks progress was going to include, but since the tap has been a no-show ~ well, you get the idea. At least we need to make only one tap. Once done, I'll have it.

As for the front suspension, I picked up the front DOM yesterday and we're starting on putting that together. More updates on that as the week wears on.

Rims and tires. I can order those rims as quickly as you'd like. Just waiting the go ahead. I'll call you about the tires.

heman

Farmall Cub
hey, what's up no new info? or updates? anything new or exciting? did the wheel and tires come in? any up dated pics? Billy is stacking up the boulders the pile is twice as big now.

Damian Grihalva

High Wheeler
Wheels are on order, the custom anodizing takes a week to do. Tires will be here later this week. Front axle is still not done getting converted to pass-side, but will be by weeks end. Camera's at the shop so I don't have much to report, but I'll be getting some up later today or tomorrow.

D

heman

Farmall Cub
today gone and pasted, tomorrow gone and past, WHAT HAPPENED TO THE PIC'S:confused: how is the rear suspention coming? i thought the front was in on the 2nd. or what is a DOM? well other then that how is the family, hope all is good and healthy, are you finished will the scott that was in your garage? that's must be taken all your time, do you have pic's on that one or were is it on the bulletin? haven't had alot of time to play on the computer. well get to get back to work, oh yea, the boulder pile is double the size now and he is bring telephone piles in to now, and laying them on the ground in a tripod shape? can it go over that? i think he is going a little crazy:gunsmilie:

Damian Grihalva

High Wheeler
today gone and pasted, tomorrow gone and past, WHAT HAPPENED TO THE PIC'S:confused: ...[snip]...how is the rear suspension coming?

There coming, there coming. Lots of clean up really, TONS of grinding on the frame to prep it ~ it was a little dirtier than I expected but at least its not done. Frame sleeves go on tomorrow. Rear axle is prep'd and we'll have the links and rear suspension set by Friday.

The big problem is that the front axle hasn't come back from Tom's. He keeps telling me 'this week' and I've been holdin' out. I did go up this past weekend for a swift kick in the butt so it should be very quick now ~ Denver is not a easy trip empty handed.

i thought the front was in on the 2nd. or what is a DOM?
DOM and parts got here then. We were supposed to get a #$@-of-a-lot more done but keep getting interupted with visitors. Lately we've been resorting to working till the wee hours of the night to get things finished.

As for the front suspension, I've got a little surprise coming on the coil-over mounts :gunsmilie: Its going to be awesome.

well other then that how is the family, hope all is good and healthy
Actually I've had a cough for a bit, now the kids have it. Other than that, the big news is that we may be able to adopt the baby in September. I'm not holding my breath, we've been down this road before ~ just hopefully we'll get all the way down it this time.

are you finished will the scott that was in your garage? that's must be taken all your time
STill working on it. Got your and its ram assist in, put in floors, put in dash, started the cage ~ and little invisable stuff ~ but that's not this build.

, do you have pic's on that one or were is it on the bulletin? haven't had alot of time to play on the computer.
Its the Evolution Build in this forum. Mini Build #10 officially.

the boulder pile is double the size now and he is bring telephone piles in to now, and laying them on the ground in a tripod shape? can it go over that? i think he is going a little crazy:gunsmilie:
Post a pic man! Or you can send me one and I'll post it. Well you never know until you try. Glad we're going to be putting some serious body protection on the scout. Sounds like you're going to need it.

2022 Arizona International Harvester Rendezvous
2022 Arizona International Harvester Rendezvous