BinderPlanet.com

Welcome to BinderPlanet.com the World's Premier IH Website.

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Lock o magic hubs

Binder TV

Perdido

Binder Driver
In case the lock o matic hubs end up being problem, is it difficult to change them out to modern manual hubs? Dana 44 axle on a 75 Scout.
Thanks, Rut

J.J.

Lives in an IH Dealership
Not at all, regular old Warn 9062s. New around $220 and up. Not the same quality as the original ones, but I don't see you doing any heavy duty off road stuff with yours either.

JJ in TN

winchested

I've wheeled pretty hard on the 9062s and had no issues. Other than even with fine thread studs holding them in you have to re tighten the nuts after every day on the trail, otherwise they will break. This is a known issue with all external hubs as the torque acts directly on them.

J.J.

I’ve actually seen them grenade on the trail, taught me to always carry a spare.

Greg, the stock IH ones were probably made by warn, they are nearly identical, but the older ones the castings are slightly thicker and overall just more robust and better quality. Heavier springs, slightly bigger brass on the inside etc.

Personally too I don’t like the automatic or the lock o matic style, maybe I’m too much of a control freak hahahaha. Would rather stop and turn them by hand, feel the clock, then I know for sure they’re engaged.

JJ in TN

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk