Lighting problems

Discussion in 'General IH Tech' started by danslaw, Jun 30, 2008.

1. danslaw

danslaw Farmall Cub

I am having 2 lighting problems on my '77 scout 2:

1. My left turn signal indicator next to the speedometer is always on when i have my lights on. Also the running lights on the same (left) side do not work, but the blinker does work and both bulbs are fine. I think I must have a ground problem but I don't know where to start looking. Any ideas for me?

2. I have unplugged my interior dome light because it will not turn off. Any ideas on the problem? I'm thinking it might be another ground issue but I just don't know....any help is appreciated.

2. scoutboy74

scoutboy74 Lives in an IH Dealership

Your front turn signal/park light issue is most likely due to a bad ground as you mentioned. Remove the housing assembly from the body and clean away any corrosion, grit etc. from the area surrounding the screw holes. Your courtesy light staying on is not a ground issue. If those lights weren't getting a ground, they wouldn't come on. Check both of your door pillars where the hinges attach. There should be a small button that threads into that surface. Perhaps it is missing or damaged on one or both doors which is somehow allowing a constant ground. Those lights can also be turned on when the doors are closed by rotating the knob on your headlight switch all the way counter-clockwise. It's almost too simple to mention, but sometimes the simple things are the ones that get ya.

3. danslaw

danslaw Farmall Cub

thanks for the response. I'll clean up the ground on the turn indicator and let you know how it goes.

On the interior light, one of the switch pillars on the door is stuck in...would that do it.

BTW-I already checked the headlight swithc to make sure it was turned off.

4. fredsterra

fredsterra Y-Block King

It could be a bad headlamp switch for the dome lamp. And I agree it's a ground issue. I bet it's a front turn signal.

Clean the ground and use a star washer. And a little antiseize on the ground will also help.

5. turbogreaser

turbogreaser Farmall Cub

I had a weird ground on the front turn that caused the indicator to stay on in the dash panel, when fixed it went off
    Eric

6. scoutboy74

scoutboy74 Lives in an IH Dealership

It's possible. That'd be the place to start. Button pushed in is meant to defeat the ground when the door is shut so the light goes out. Then when the door opens, the button pops out and completes the circuit. But, even if it's stuck in, the insulated connector in the inside may be damaged enough so that a constant ground is being achieved.