BinderPlanet.com

Welcome to BinderPlanet.com the World's Premier IH Website.

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Jumper cables

Binder TV

scout2000

Lives in an IH Dealership
there's never a best anything, only what makes sense for you, your needs and your budget.

According to my Amazon history - I purchased these (2) items in April 2016 - and I have been exceedingly happy with both.

The 2-gauge jumper cables show currently unavailable - but my order history shows that I paid $134.xx USD.

Some people slide by with pretty much anything. That never works for me. I get what I pay for, and when I go cheap, I typically spend twice as much, because I bought some cheap junk, had it fail, then end up buying what I should have in the 1st place.

Not sure where you (or anyone here) lands in the above comment, but its always a wonderful thing to have nice, quality tools.

steve bridge

Binder Driver
I have three sets, two made of welding lead and one set is the same as Jerry's. I had no idea how good the Deka jumpers were until I used them. I got them for nothing at an auction and thought they were cheap ass cables, but I liked that they were in a small bag. I was pleasantly surprised.
Welding leads: one is two twenty-five foot lengths of 4/0 welding lead and the other set is made with four 10 foot 1/0 stingers sparkies use to weld studs to beams. They work the same, but the 4/0 set is fairly heavy. The nice thing is the car being jumped thinks it has the good battery installed. Pull up behind the dead car, shut your car off, string the jumpers, and start them. It's a good idea to let a dead battery charge, but shut your car off when starting the dead car. With welding lead, there is no amperage loss. 2/0 is selling for less than $2 per foot delivered on eBay. Good clamps aren't cheap.

Snowbinder

Farmall Cub
there's never a best anything, only what makes sense for you, your needs and your budget.

^^This. For my limited needs, I get away with these cheap buggers. They were a great upgrade from a shorter set (no more having to care which side the battery is on when I'm parking). They don't take up much room when they're rolled up in the case they come with, and the clamps are decent. The actual wire ain't much, though, so they may take a while to get the job done. If I used them more than a couple times a year, I might shell out for a better set.

If you're looking to jump semi trucks and tugboats, Steve's 4/0 set would be perfect!

TheCrazyFarmer

High Wheeler
^^This. For my limited needs, I get away with these cheap buggers. They were a great upgrade from a shorter set (no more having to care which side the battery is on when I'm parking). They don't take up much room when they're rolled up in the case they come with, and the clamps are decent. The actual wire ain't much, though, so they may take a while to get the job done. If I used them more than a couple times a year, I might shell out for a better set.

If you're looking to jump semi trucks and tugboats, Steve's 4/0 set would be perfect!
That's nice, they're nice and long. With the cheap Harbor Freight ones, length is often an issue.

dwengi

Farmall Cub
OK, so believe it or not I've had these for more than 30 years. Purchased from Wrangler Power Products. The plugs/sockets are available from various sources including Wrangler but they are Anderson SB175 made by Powerwerx. The plugs and sockets are identical. I have a socket hardwired to my battery and mounted on the grille - I plug the winch into this connector. When I need jumper cables I unplug the winch and plug in the jumper cables. When jumping I always hook up the battery clamps first - when the plug is inserted the sparks happen well away from the battery. It also prevents the second end of clamps from coming in contact with each other after the first have been installed. I've seen all sorts of jumper cable debacles over the years...

IMG_1047.jpeg

Patrick Morris

Probably time for me to upgrade. The jumper cables I've always carried are at least 25 years old now. And not terribly long either. I can see the advantages of cable longer than my old set. It sure would be convenient to be able to park BEHIND a vehicle and still have the reach to jump its battery. Or vice versa.

And I've also been running a Deka AGM battery in my Scout for a few years now. Absolutely no complaints.

RBS

Farmall Cub
Stay away from the ones that have the cheap clamps..
Excellent advice from Greg. Heavy gauge, low resistance cable does no good when it is crippled by clamps that add resistance through poor quality and the inability to provide a good connection to the jump contacts.

Worse are the really bad clamps that are just waiting to jump off the terminal creating sparks and/or a short.

And if you find you are having to jump start a vehicle often, replace the battery or fix the current drain issue because even a good quality alternator will have its life shortened if it is continuously running at high output trying to charge a depleted dying/defective battery. And although not as critical with the more robust and primitive electronics in a classic IH, a good battery also serves a role in clamping voltage spikes which it can no longer do when it develops high internal resistance with age. This is why it is easy to damage modern vehicle electronics via jump starting when it has a battery that is bad (open or high resistance cell) or a bad connection from the rest of the system to the battery because the spikes normally "snubbed" by the battery instead create high transients on the bus.

Jumper cables with poor connectors exacerbates this issue because every time they spark through poor contact they are creating voltage spikes.

Rodger

Darrel

I have one pair of heavy gauge industrial quality and maybe 3 pairs of Walmart quality.

To be honest the "good" ones are huge so I always carry the cheap ones which have never failed to work on every thing from compacts to semi trucks.
Accordingly my advice is to not buy expensive cables unless you're a tow truck driver.

ruderunner

High Wheeler
I carry a nice heavy long set in my diesel truck because it's a diesel. I think from Napa.

I have a few sets of cheapies in the other vehicles because they don't need as much oomph to crank.

kdsmit

Binder Driver
I have a heavy set that are made from welding style cable. They were originally the same style as Dwengi had, but the plastic special connector was broken, so I cut the cable and put a good set of clamps on them. My brother got them for me, they came off of a tow truck and that company was throwing them away. So he pulled them out of the trash and gave them to me.

The local interstate dealer (the guys that sell the batteries to everyone else) makes battery cable and also sells cable, so I would assume that you could have it all made there.

Low crank voltage takes out starters!

1975IH200

Y-Block King
Our Sears closed a few years ago too.
I have a great set of broken bolt/stud extractors from Sears....plus many other common tools.

They used to have a Jeep & Scout parts catalog, for mail order only.