BinderPlanet.com

Welcome to BinderPlanet.com the World's Premier IH Website.

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

It’s about to get REAL!!!

Binder TV

Matt harris

Farmall Cub
First off I want to say any help would be greatly appreciated! I’m completely new to the Scout world and now I’m obsessed! I recently purchased a 1976 scout ii with 345 and 4 speed Manual in running condition but needs a LOT of love! I’ve been reading a lot and trying to do as much research as possible to help me with this restoration. I have a lot of questions but will try to narrow it down to the most important ones. First one is I pulled the oil fill cap and looked inside and it’s extremely dirty so I’m going to do a compression test and then pull the engine and clean it very well. Any recommendations on getting everything really cleaned? Chemicals, procedures etc... also I want to keep the 345 but I’m worried that it’s gonna be extremely expensive especially if it needs any head or block work. Does anybody have any idea of cost for getting it all cleaned up, rings replaced etc. Next question is I have two body mounts and of course some floor board that I need to replace and before I completely tear into all the body work I want to make sure I weld in some frame/body stiffness to prevent the body from getting out of square. Is there some general measurements that everybody goes off of? What lengths and from where to where? Lastly I have to put all new seats in and I’ve seen where people go to pick and pulls and get PT cruiser seats, ford box body seats and some other models that will work but I’m wondering if it would just be easier to get new Corbeau seats like I see a lot of people buy or is there other models of used cars that the seats work real good with scouts? Again thanks for any help and I hope this thread is in the right place!

TorqueMonster1

Farmall Cub
Congrats on your Scout II purchase AND welcome to the forum. You’ll find a wealth of knowledge here. Some of what you’re interested in can probably be found by doing a “search” on the forum. Especially the seat topic. And you can also post a question to a previous thread you come across and get members commenting again.

A word of caution to you, it’s been my (and many others) experience that these Scouts have a way of multiplying. Some even call it a sickness. Mark

mongocanfly

High Wheeler
Welcome...your in the right place..
Theres all kinds of good engine cleaners....I personally like purple power and mineral spirits and pressure washer...just be sure to cover all the electrical up...drain all fluids afterwards...be a good time to change some gaskets....but no real need to pull engine just to clean,,,unless your just wanting to...
Do the compression check,,check oil pressure if possible...
And then theres the rust battle...not many people get the opportunity to work on a rust free project...but theres always a been there, done that thread on here..
And as always...wheres the pics?..!!!

Last edited:

Scout76

Farmall Cub
Congrats on your Scout II purchase AND welcome to the forum. You’ll find a wealth of knowledge here. Some of what you’re interested in can probably be found by doing a “search” on the forum. Especially the seat topic. And you can also post a question to a previous thread you come across and get members commenting again.

A word of caution to you, it’s been my (and many others) experience that these Scouts have a way of multiplying. Some even call it a sickness. Mark
Thanks Mark I’m excited to get started!

Scout76

Farmall Cub
Welcome...your in the right place..
Theres all kinds of good engine cleaners....I personally like purple power and mineral spirits and pressure washer...just be sure to cover all the electrical up...drain all fluids afterwards...be a good time to change some gaskets....but no real need to pull engine just to clean,,,unless your just wanting to...
Do the compression check,,check oil pressure if possible...
And then theres the rust battle...not many people get the opportunity to work on a rust free project...but theres always a been there, done that thread on here..
And as always...wheres the pics?..!!!
Mongocanfly the main reason I’m wanting to remove the engine is because I need to clean and paint the frame anyway as well as get the engine all cleaned up and paint so I figured I might as well do it all at once. And Ill try to post pics soon, its in pretty rough shape though.