BinderPlanet.com

Welcome to BinderPlanet.com the World's Premier IH Website.

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

In-line 6 - 345 swap

Friends of BinderPlanet Facebook Group

Owen76

Farmall Cub
Hello,
I have a 71 scout 800B with an in-line 6 that needs a rebuild and a "tractor like" four speed. I have always dreamed of putting a 345 V8 and 4 speed from a scout II in it as the scout II drives so much nicer than scout 800s.
Recently I was offered a great deal on a really solid driving scout II with a 345 and 4 speed. So now I have the opportunity to do what I always wanted but this is a much bigger project than I've ever done and I won't have the two scouts next to each other unless I buy this one so I can't compare details.
My question is:
-has anyone reading this done this?
-If so, what are the major obstacles I will hit?
-my major conserns are:
-different motor mounts
-transmission mounts
-Clutch opporation
-radiator compatibility or room for 345 radiator swap

If this is possible, the next steps I would want would be:
-swap the 4x4 transfer case
-swap axles
-add power steering
-anything else I can swap to make an 800 drive a little nicer
Is any of this possible or do I sound like an idiot?
Is there a website or YouTube channel that I can find instructional videos?
I have a mechanically inclined friend who knows scout IIs pretty well but he is not going to do the research for me so I need to have my ducks in a row before I buy the parts scout.
Thank you very much for any help.
image.jpeg

Josh800A

Farmall Cub
Good luck with your swap. I have the six, AMC 232, same as you, but with a three speed. Can I put in my dibs for your four speed? Where are you located?
Thanks,
Josh

Owen76

Farmall Cub
Santa Fe N.M.
I'll try to keep this post to remember you. It may be a bit till I do the surgery as winter is rolling in and my workspace is outside.
Good luck with your swap. I have the six, AMC 232, same as you, but with a three speed. Can I put in my dibs for your four speed? Where are you located?
Thanks,
Josh
Thanks,
Josh

Chops24

Farmall Cub
I’m in Albuquerque with a scout II if you need measurements or have questions

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Josh800A

Farmall Cub
Santa Fe N.M.
I'll try to keep this post to remember you. It may be a bit till I do the surgery as winter is rolling in and my workspace is outside.
I can wait.... :yes:
Thanks,
Josh