IH wrenchin

Discussion in 'Mid-South Binders' started by Arkansas Dave, Jan 28, 2016.

1. J. David Oldham

J. David Oldham Farmall Cub

Been a real busy month or two. Wheew!
    Went up to Ka. met a real nice guy Binder Mark. Picked up 2 front seats & stuff for wifes Scout. Took them to interior guy in Tx. Drove her Scout back to Ar. A long harrowing trip in the rain at night.
    Riped out & scraped out the Astroturf carpet. Ugg!. Wire brushed any rust spots inside her Scout & primed. (can't find any body rust troughs, few pin holes in top) Put peal & seal all on the inside & covered it with that bubble wrap insolation. ( don't know the name)
    Shimed & realined alternator & instaled new belts.
    Been driving the snot out of her Scout. Adjusted carb & kick down (throttle valve control arm) linkage, and this thing will haul ass. If this engine is stock, the best running 345 I've ever sat in. It does have an Edlebrock carb. on it, but the rest looks stock.
    We have driven to Farmerville La. for catfish and all over S. Ark just tooling around. We probley put 5-6 hundred miles since we got it home. ( going to have to stop going to D. Q. & Sonic in evenings for icecream) :ban:
    Now just need paint & interior finished, shim front axle, replace all A. C. hoses & replace donut gasket rt side.
    Now she want's a roll bar and a Bikinie top for it for summer riding. :clap:

2. J. David Oldham

Now on to the 66 pickup. Been a lot of work going on around here.
    I vacumed around valve covers (acorns & dobber nest), removed v. covers squirted Marvel Mistery Oil on all valves & in spark plug holes. ( let sit for 2 weeks) Changed eng. oil to Rotella & added high Zinc additive, replaced oil filter.Turned eng. trough by hand a few rounds. Primed oil pump with drill motor till had oil out of all rocker arms. Left plugs out and spun eng. with starter for first time. Spun eng. a good 10 min. off & on with starter. Put M. M. O. back in spark plug holes & let it set. :cornfused:
    Got a fuel pump for it that needs installing & need to go trough the carb. for a look see. Then hook up a remote fuel source and start it up. Want to add a remote oil press. gage water temp. before starting.

3. BigRigg

BigRigg Y-Block King

Hey david! How do you like the peel and seal with bubble insulation? I am doing the same on my scout, but don't have any real world experience with results. Did it quiet down the road noise? Was it worth the effort?

4. BO185

BO185 Y-Block King

I used it on a project years ago and couldn't tell a difference. I have used dynamat and dynaliner and got a noticeable difference as well as Db difference on a meter app on my phone.

5. J. David Oldham

It is a lot quieter than painted metal. It may be the quietest & coolest Scout I've had. I think when the carpet is installed it will be super quiet.
    We just drove in from Shreveport La.tonight & the floor stayed cool & we could talk at 70 mph going down I 20. We where playing raidio going down there this afternoon listening to Fox news with no problem.
    We went to Craw Daddy's for shrimp & fish while there & stoped in Sonic for a milk shake in Minden La. on way home. The burbon & brownsugar shake is bad to the bone. Great!
    PS the Scout likes fuel with no ethanol. Found some unleaded with out it. :clap:

6. Arkansas Dave

Arkansas Dave High Wheeler

Been busy working on a little of everything worked on a blower motor one weekend, installed some projector headlights and led tails then this weekend I was in the shop until 3 am Sat night installing a lift kit on my boys ride, we're getting back on the Scout this week.

Arkansas Dave

7. Arkansas Dave

Been busy doing all kinds of stuff to the Scout . I ordered new windows for the house and bought some paint I am about to be on that but I still plan to work on the Scout some too. I have to caulk and replace some wood before I paint and eventually start putting vinyl siding on probably this next spring. But anyway the Scout is still moving forward I plan to work every second I can find. What you all been up too lately?

8. Mater

Mater Farmall Cub

I need to get new windows for my house. As the wife says "more energy efficient" and get rid of the 1960s windows. Also, I need to replace my crawlspace door to my house. That's also on the honey dew list. I've been married 10 years now....does the list ever end? Arkansas Dave...how long you been married?

9. BO185

BO185 Y-Block King

Add insulation to your attic. Usually old house have none or very little. It will make a difference on cooling and heating bill.

I been trying to get my truck back together but been busy at work. Going to try to finish my hydroboost swap today.

10. Mater

Mater Farmall Cub

Added insulation about 8 years ago right after I bought the house.
    Keep up the good work on your IH.

BO185 likes this.
  11. Arkansas Dave

I replaced mine once about 12 years ago but I bought aluminum double pane but they sweat real bad in the winter and make a mess in the window seal. I been Married since 93' Mater. I have a really good woman she puts up with me so she must be pretty good. She likes my vehicle projects and lets me work on them she knows I love doing that stuff and we have allot of the same interests. My brother says "you can be right or you can be happily married" LOL I think he is on to something there. When you going to put some new pics up of that truck Scott?
    AD

12. BO185

BO185 Y-Block King

Got the the HB unit mounted finally. Got the lines hooked up as well. Still have to redue the brake lines. But shouldn't be to hard. Have to run a new brake line to the back. But not to bad install wise over all. The unit is off a 1992 burbin. Got the HB, MC, and distribution block (with the fittings). I made the adapter plate on my plasma table. The MC is from donor but new off rock auto. The lines are from the donor as well (new from RA as well.) The lines fit pretty good had to bend them to fit. Then cut what extra metal off then simply install the old pressure line flare fittings and reflare on the pump and box. I might redue the supply from pump to HB as its not really good. Might just cut the end of and get a 90* fitting crimped on. I got around $100 in the swap maybe little more.

IMG_0864.JPG IMG_0865.JPG

13. Arkansas Dave

that's looking pretty sweet, that should bring it to a hault. Have you done anything else to the Scout?

Dave

14. BO185

BO185 Y-Block King

As soon as the truck is out of the shop. I will get back on the scout asap. Plans, for the scout are powder coat the frame. And get the axles back under. Then the tub I have to redue some things then it will get bedliner and go back on the frame. The only bad thing is I sold the 6.0L and 5.3L I had so I have no motor for it. I will buy another 6.0L, thinking about running a LSA blower and get 500hp at the wheels.

15. Arkansas Dave

16. Arkansas Dave

Well these windows are really cutting into my Scout time but I gotta get them done. Then paint and get everything ready so siding can go on next year. Hopefully I'll get a little time this afternoon to work on the Scout.

AD

17. Arkansas Dave

been pressure washing and painting since Thursday be glad when i get done I got to put on window trim and paint the trim tomorrow afternoon. Ready to get back on the Scout.

AD

18. BO185

BO185 Y-Block King

I here you! Stuff always seems to pop up. My dang rear wheel bearings on my DD are going out so had to park it. Need to get them fixed. They lasted 280,000 miles at least! Hope to get those swapped out today or tomorrow. I got to get back on my truck to get it out of the shop.

On a side note I had forgot to say that I took my little trailer to the local media blaster to get painted and bedlined. He uses speedlner. If it looks and feels gooing going to get him to shoot my SII tub interior and underside. Then powder coat the frame and remate the too. So got goals just need time to complete them,

19. J. David Oldham

If you haven't worked on your IH ride in awhile, check for critters. :cornfused: I bet u guys are smarter than me.
    I've been all involved with wife's Scout & neglected my old 66 truck. I thought I would get it running & maybe put a for sale sign on it.
    I had already done prelube, Marvel in cylinders & spin eng. by hand and starter. Thought I would clean carb. out & try and start.
    They let me take off linkage and unbolt the carb. But when I used sidegrinder with a wire wheel. They lit me up! :censored:
    Red Wasp DO NOT LIKE side grinders!
    Use to a wasp sting would raise a knot and hurt that's all. But now I'm older 4 stings and I've felt bad for 2 days. Look for critters before grinding.
    I know better (old equipment mechanic) but forgot. :stupid:
    P. S. Neither wasp or I like Ethanol gasoline. :angel:

Last edited: Aug 5, 2016
    Packerrailway likes this.
  20. Arkansas Dave

well i finally got all that remodeling done on the house actually did some finishing up this morning now I start 76 hour work weeks for about 6 weeks with one day off and I volunteered for nights! don't know what I was thinking.... anyway be back on the Scout full throttle after that's over can't wait. I did put a performance muffler on the truck it sounds more like a truck now. The work car has to have a new power steering line it is spraying on the exhaust so I got to fix that. Anyway the weather is getting more bearable now so it should be easier to work now.

AD