BinderPlanet.com

Welcome to BinderPlanet.com the World's Premier IH Website.

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hydroboost Brake Conversion Hose Question

Friends of BinderPlanet Facebook Group

Matt005

Farmall Cub
The son and I started a hydroboost brake conversion this weekend. We need a little help with understanding the hoses. I bought the power steering pump from Anything Scout (https://anythingscout.com/collectio...17-power-steering-pump-with-hydroboost-return). The attached picture shows a hose connection port with a red plastic cap (#1). The Scouts stock hose connection would not thread into this. What do I need to make the connection from this port to the steering? Their is also two hose attachments (#2 and #3 on attached picture) and I am not sure where either of these are supposed to go? The attached schematic doesn't' really show this very well.

In general the more information about hose routing, what fittings I need to buy, etc. would help. Thanks

pumpnumbered.jpg
schematic.jpg

Darrel

Lives in an IH Dealership
#1 is the high pressure output. #2 and #3 are the low pressure returns for the HB and the gear.

The two types of pressure hose fittings are o-ring and inverted flare. Can't tell you which type is hiding under the red cap. If your Scout is pre-1980 your gear originally was inverted flare.

Sammy

Y-Block King
What year is your Scout? 1980 models came with o rings on the fittings, older models were flared. All the fittings on the hydroboost should be o rings.

Matt005

Farmall Cub
#1 is the high pressure output. #2 and #3 are the low pressure returns for the HB and the gear.

The two types of pressure hose fittings are o-ring and inverted flare. Can't tell you which type is hiding under the red cap. If your Scout is pre-1980 your gear originally was inverted flare.
It is a 1980. Does it matter how you hook up the low pressure hoses?

Darrel

No. Hold on, we're getting to that. Can you confirm that your factory Scout hose has o-rings on the ends?

Matt005

Farmall Cub
No. Hold on, we're getting to that. Can you confirm that your factory Scout hose has o-rings on the ends?
Yes, it appears to be the o-ring style

Attachments

• hose end1.jpg
    hose end1.jpg
    164.1 KB · Views: 36
  • hose end2.jpg
    hose end2.jpg
    321.8 KB · Views: 35
  • pumpport.jpg
    pumpport.jpg
    589.6 KB · Views: 38

Darrel

Ok. What I would do is remove the pressure valve from your Anything Scout pump (the large 1.XX inch fitting under the red cap) and replace it with the pressure valve out of the factory Scout pump. That will change the Anything Scout pump from flare to O-ring style.

Once that's done run a pressure hose from the pump to the HB. Then another pressure hose from the HB to the gear. I've posted part numbers for these in the past. Then run your return hoses. Use hose clamps with a screw and nut sometimes called fuel injection hose clamps instead of worm gear hose clamps.

If that 1993 HB is out of an Astrovan use this adapter bracket. https://www.ihpartsamerica.com/store/CPT-SII-HYDBST-ADPTR.html

Matt005

Farmall Cub
Ok. What I would do is remove the pressure valve from your Anything Scout pump (the large 1.XX inch fitting under the red cap) and replace it with the pressure valve out of the factory Scout pump. That will change the Anything Scout pump from flare to O-ring style.

Once that's done run a pressure hose from the pump to the HB. Then another pressure hose from the HB to the gear. I've posted part numbers for these in the past. Then run your return hoses. Use hose clamps with a screw and nut sometimes called fuel injection hose clamps instead of worm gear hose clamps.

If that 1993 HB is out of an Astrovan use this adapter bracket. https://www.ihpartsamerica.com/store/CPT-SII-HYDBST-ADPTR.html
Really appreciate you taking time to help guide me through this. I have spent a few hours poking around the internet (including this site) trying to get a better understanding of what hoses I would need. I'm sure you all get tired of us newbies asking the same old questions, but we do appreciate it! To that point, knowing how long I tried finding the hose question/answer, would you be able to direct me a little more to the post of the part numbers and location of where I can get those hoses?

Thanks again for all your help!

Darrel

Try a search with my user name and "hose" for the keyword.

Matt005

Farmall Cub

Is it fair to say that having two ports on the power steering pump (#2 and #3 in above picture) means that the low pressure lines do not T off like shown in the above diagram? Should one port go to low pressure hook up on the steering gear, and the other port go to the low pressure hook up on the master cylinder? If so does it matter which port goes where? Just want to be sure before cutting the hoses. Thanks

Darrel

That's correct, you can connect either low pressure return hose to either of those tubes. They just dump into the canister.