How do you store your top when it’s off

Discussion in 'General IH Tech' started by Heyyouguys, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Heyyouguys

Heyyouguys Farmall Cub

Looking for ideas on how to store my 800 top when I take it off. Would like to see all of your designs, ideas, and suggestions. Pics are welcomed.

I plan on taking mine off this spring until the end of summer. Cannot think of a better way to spend it after chemo and radiation treatment. I know my GF will really enjoy it!

I know I have to come up with something. Movable or on wheels, not sure what I need?

And I realize I can just set it on the ground or in the yard, but would like something with a little less contact with the elements and dirt! After all, Washington state isn’t known for its sunny dry weather!

Thanks

2. scout2000

scout2000 Lives in an IH Dealership

Assuming that you haven't already read thru this thread, hoping you thank me (vs curse me) here for recommending this, but, as I recall, Davis Brown (db1115) rigged up a pulley setup in his garage, and had documented that in his build thread here:

http://www.binderplanet.com/forums/index.php?threads/my-69-scout-800-project.78442/

Full disclaimer, it is a long build thread, but I highly recommend it, and if you do take the time to go thru it, I fully expect you will pick up more than just another option for removing the top from your 800.

Hope this helps.

Heyyouguys likes this.
  3. Heyyouguys

Heyyouguys Farmall Cub

Holy cow! 87 pages!! Yes, will read through it, it’ll take a few hours I imagine!

I should say that my garage is a steel building (not a pole barn style) and is, I think 20-22’ high in the center. Having not seen the pulley pics yet, I won’t be able to really rig from the ceiling. It is just too high to get up there.

I look forward to reading the thread though. I think I may have stumbled a crossed it in my searchingly did perused a page or two only.

scout2000 likes this.
  4. scout2000

scout2000 Lives in an IH Dealership

Hopefully someone with actual experience will jump in and make comments based on learning from "the school of hard-knocks", but as I'm sitting here stewing on how to accomplish your task with just one person, it seem obvious to me right now, that you have (2) obvious options.

* lift your travel top, up, from the ceiling/rafters/etc.
    * figure out some way to lift it from something ground-based.

I can't think of any positive ground-based methods right now, off the top of my head, to do this. I recall from my youth, seeing pickup based bed-campers that had jacks on the side, where, while camping, those side jacks could be used to lift up and level the camper. Like this image for reference:

https://fourwh.com/wp-content/gallery/option-pictures/Mechanical-Camper-Jacks.jpg

Even if removable when not in use, I'm pretty certain this isn't something I want to do to my traveltop.

Are you really expecting your 800 to go around topless a significant amount of time? Maybe just have a few buddies lined up for removal and re-install when needed?

I'm really digging here. Sorry this wasn't of more help. :(

5. timetraveler77

timetraveler77 Farmall Cub

I just lay mine on the tailgate:laugh:

Attached Files:

6. mallen

mallen Y-Block King

Usually folded in a drawer. My girlfreinds, I just wad up and toss by the bed....

Last edited: Jan 29, 2019
    oneof3k and DeepSoutBulldawg like this.
  7. Heyyouguys

Heyyouguys Farmall Cub

That is a definitely an easy way to go! Looks good too.

It will have to ground based stand or similar. I will have two people minimum to help. How much does an 800 top weigh? If I have to lift it and prop it up and carry to some sort of support, that is fine too.

Just hoping to get some ideas on how best to remove and store it.

The top will most likely be off it the entire spring and summer. And when the 800 is not in use, it will be in the garage.The entent is to be reliable as a daily driver but used for driving during the nice weather months a couple times a week. This is the reason for the post.

8. Heyyouguys

Heyyouguys Farmall Cub

I figured this would’ve been the first reply with the topic I posted!

9. Darrel

Darrel Lives in an IH Dealership

How about a jib crane on one of the main columns?

10. Av8ing1

Av8ing1 Farmall Cub

I recently used a Racor heavyLift storage rack off Amazon to lift my top. It worked out okay, not perfect and I think the Scout II top is pushing it a bit (its heavy.) Overall I'm happy with it and it worked out well in my small garage. 3.JPG 1.JPG 2.JPG

veehjay and Heyyouguys like this.
  11. Heyyouguys

Heyyouguys Farmall Cub

I like he idea, but the price of one, I could buy 2 post car lift!

I like what you came up with and maximized your space to store your top! Sadly my ceiling is way too high for me to the same. Thank you for sharing!

12. David Banner

David Banner High Wheeler

Have a beam with pulley bolted in between the rafters and use a Harbor Fright electric winch (or small chain hoist) to raise and lower the top.
    For around $200 parts n' pieces you'll be self sufficient after some help setting the beam and pulley.

Mustang and Heyyouguys like this.
  13. Scoutcamper

Scoutcamper Farmall Cub

I used some leftover 2x4 and harbor freight wheels to make a dolly / cart to move mine around. It doesn't do anything for the problem of taking it on & off, but it lets you move it around for storage a LOT easier.

I can get measurements if you are interested. Took about 5 - 6 full 2x4s, the 4 wheels, steel rod for axle, some cheap cotter pins and washers, and about 3' of 1-1/2" diameter pine dowel.
    Can't remember for sure, but I'll bet I was in it for less than $100.
    -Josh

20181125_162354.jpg
    20181125_165426.jpg
    20181125_174658.jpg
    20181125_183426.jpg

Heyyouguys likes this.
  14. SSIIbuild

SSIIbuild Binder Driver

A1DE68C1-AE7C-40E5-AF86-D7662B63FC15.png 01A9F44B-DFBD-44C3-AD5C-3D07F0B1ECFC.png 0EE9E9BD-2A2C-42E2-B94D-61329B073144.png I have done this at two of the places I have lived at so far. The first I tucked a harbor freight winch up into the trusses after I reinforced them to distribute the weight further. The second I built a loft in my barn to hang it under with the use of a harbor freight winch.
    The first garage was much smaller and a pain. I had just enough room to back the scout in and lift the top 2 inches. I then had to drive out and spin the top 90 degrees to miss the garage door opener then I could to raise it higher. That way i could park under it.
    Once I have both of them raised I just use 2x4s and eyelets to clip axle straps to hold it, that way the weight isn’t always hanging on the winch and it doesn’t blow around in the breeze.
    I use unistrut for the framework, but you could just use straps. The frame just allows me to raise it up a bit higher than just straps would.

veehjay and Heyyouguys like this.
  15. Darrel

Darrel Lives in an IH Dealership

Then build it yourself!!! I know you weld.

16. sabercat

sabercat Farmall Cub

i built a rack in the back yard for the top out of wooden 2x6
    i use the terra top and convertible top in the summer
    steel top goes back on for the winter
    its the same height as the scout its a couple of inches wider than the scout and the up-rights extends beyond the scout so top wont slide off when removing it
    i back into the frame unbolt the top and slide off the steel scout top
    i can do this by my self
    i just lift the terra top by hand it is easier to move than the the steel top
    20190129_170609[1].jpg 20190129_170557[1].jpg

Last edited: Feb 1, 2019
    Heyyouguys likes this.
  17. oneof3k

oneof3k High Wheeler

Not quite close enough to the CO San Juan Mnts
    I used some cheap kayak lifts. If interested, I could probably dig up the mfg of the lifts.

IMG_1003.jpg

IMG_1004.jpg