!@#%$#^&* hood wont #@%! fit

Discussion in 'General IH Tech' started by corncrasher, Dec 15, 2005.

1. corncrasher

corncrasher Farmall Cub

I used parts off of 2 different scouts when I put mine together, a 78 and 79. I go to put my freshly painted hood on and it sets allmost an inch and a half to high in the front when it is closed. I have messed with all the adjustments and can't get it right. I think it is a 79 hood bolted to a 78 front end. Did they change something between the two years? I have all the different parts and looking at the stuff it all looks the same. My other scout as well as others I have seen ,the hood doesn't fit very good but this is really bad. :mad:

2. mark stabolito

mark stabolito Farmall Cub

Well corncrasher I know how ya feel, this is actually a pretty common fitment problem area but an inch an a half is pretty severe! The parts are interchangable but often they are tweeked a little and or the loose tolerances add up in the wrong ways. Try this, remove your headlamp buckets to get to the hinge bolts where the hinge bolts to the core support. loosen these bolts and slip some body shims in to effectively lower the hinge. also move the hood forward to achieve a slightly large gap at the back (cowl) this also tends to lower the front.You may even have to resort to slipping shims under the fender bolts to gain the last bit. i always find it best to remove the latch when doing hood alignments so its not pulling the hood in any direction, once your done center the latch mechanism. Take your time and good luck!

3. Darel

Darel High Wheeler

Mark is right on. When I put glass fenders on my Scout I had to lower the hinges with washers, slide the hood forward (it's shimmed open an inch or two so you can't tell) AND put 1/4" plate steel spacers under the fenders. Man, every time this comes up thinking of what I paid for those junk fenders and what it took to get them on just kills me. As it sits now the hood very loudly rubs the SSII grille when you open it but that's the price I have to pay becuase I was stupid and bought glass fenders. :(

4. CareyWeber

CareyWeber Diesel Herder / Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Thank you very much Mark. ;)

Carey

5. corncrasher

corncrasher Farmall Cub

I thought about putting washers under the hinges but these are not even close. I got to looking at it a little closer and comparing it to my other scout and it looks like the hinges are a little tweaked. I remembered one of my parts scouts some idiot was trying to open the hood the wrong way, they ruined the hood prying on it with a pry bar. These must be the hinges I happened to use and they pried hard enough to bend them :mad:

6. Erik VanRenselaar

Erik VanRenselaar Y-Block King

LLLLLLLOL...!

Thanks for the great laugh. Idiots like that make me laugh. Then I get angered that they wasted perfectly good Scout parts due to their ignorance and impatience.

7. pweeks3

pweeks3 High Wheeler

Darel,
    I know what you mean about the glass fenders. My glass fenders fit my '72 like a glove, perfect. I put them on my '77 SSII and they sit way too low. Had to shim underneath them. Someday I'll put some steel fenders back on.