BinderPlanet.com

Welcome to BinderPlanet.com the World's Premier IH Website.

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

!!HELP!! Is my timken SET 10 in backwards?

Friends of BinderPlanet Facebook Group

72soa

High Wheeler
Mr Womack, what type of set 10 bearing is that in your picture? I have been looking for Green bearing units that are similar. Thanks

jeff campbell

Staff member
so then,you really don't know ifn the axle was bent when you took it in for the bearing install?if it wasn't then THEY shuda bought the other axle?an another new set of bearings.jeff :eek: :confused: :cool:

80scout

Farmall Cub
In my opinion if the original parts guy installed the bearings wrong and you didn't know if the axle was bent prior I would push to at least have that person cover the cost of the new bearings.

Jim

High Wheeler
I am reviving this thread as I am about to press my set 10 bearings onto my new rear axle shaft, 77 Dana 44. My old axle shaft was nicked bad enough that it leaks thru the outer seal. I want to get it right since not doing so gets expensive. I got the heavy duty mounting plate from Anything Scout, it goes on first, then the oil seal, then the bearing, then the retainer/collar.

(1) I'm also pressing in new wheel studs as the new axle came with studs but not yet pressed in. Never done this. I expect it will make sense once I start the process, but I was wondering if it is more efficient as far as setting things up if I press the studs in before or after the bearing and retainer? I'm guessing I press each stud in one at a time.

(2) Also, it is really hard to see which way the cone tapers on the set 10, but based on above posts, we don't want to put on backwards and mess things up. I've done this before, but its been several years. I'm thinking I measure the ID on each side of the bearing, then put the larger ID toward the wheel and the smaller ID side toward the differential? In other words, when installing bearing onto the inner end of the axle shaft, put the larger ID side on first.

(3) Lastly, do I press the bearing and retainer on at the same time? If I recall correctly, I think I did the bearing, then the collar last time.

tahoedonner

Binder Driver
I am reviving this thread as I am about to press my set 10 bearings onto my new rear axle shaft, 77 Dana 44. My old axle shaft was nicked bad enough that it leaks thru the outer seal. I want to get it right since not doing so gets expensive. I got the heavy duty mounting plate from Anything Scout, it goes on first, then the oil seal, then the bearing, then the retainer/collar.

(1) I'm also pressing in new wheel studs as the new axle came with studs but not yet pressed in. Never done this. I expect it will make sense once I start the process, but I was wondering if it is more efficient as far as setting things up if I press the studs in before or after the bearing and retainer? I'm guessing I press each stud in one at a time.

(2) Also, it is really hard to see which way the cone tapers on the set 10, but based on above posts, we don't want to put on backwards and mess things up. I've done this before, but its been several years. I'm thinking I measure the ID on each side of the bearing, then put the larger ID toward the wheel and the smaller ID side toward the differential? In other words, when installing bearing onto the inner end of the axle shaft, put the larger ID side on first.

(3) Lastly, do I press the bearing and retainer on at the same time? If I recall correctly, I think I did the bearing, then the collar last time.
1) Press one at a time. Very easy process.
2) For the bearing, if I remember correctly, the race will come off towards the inside. Thus tapers that way.
3) Can’t answer this as I had it done for me. I feel like you’d want the race on to protect the needle bearings.