BinderPlanet.com

Welcome to BinderPlanet.com the World's Premier IH Website.

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

frame VIN number location?

Binder TV

mike goodwin

Farmall Cub

Paul Morgan

Banned
Hey Mike
I just cleaned the hell out of my frame along the driver's side along the outside frame rail right behind the wheel
I don't know if it's the same on a SS but that was on a 74 SII

Erik VanRenselaar

Y-Block King
On the Scout II (incl. SS-II), the *partial* VIN is stamped on the frame: on the driver's side, if you look at the vertical aspect of the frame that is visible in the front wheelwell behind the tire tread and in front of the firewall/floorpan.

It is the last 8 digits of the VIN.

mike goodwin

Farmall Cub
I FOUND IT!! It took a while and it is nothing like I expected it to be, but sure enough there was all along. It is on the outside driver's front frame rail, just in front of the fire wall. You can see the frame hook slot just at the right of this picture. I outlined it with a red sharpie to make it stand out for this picture. Thanks for everyone's help.
3342063783_7f9f813c25.jpg

Last edited:

EagleMark

Banned
A buddy of mine has moved to Texas and his Scout is registered here in Wasington. The frame and body are two Scouts. He removed the body VIN plate when he painted (rhino liner in and out) it. What will Texas want when he moves the Scout down there? He has all titles and the proper VIN plate for the body, but it is differant then frame.

What should he do? What do they inspect on out of state vehicles?

Elijah G

Farmall Cub
Couple years ago friend bought a car in Illinois and brought it here. Said he went down to the DMV showed the title and insurance. Filled out a couple papers and gave them money. Pretty easy he said. Still has the title from Illinois.
Will have to have a state inspection. Has to be reg and insurance. 20 years and older is saftey and parameters. Original smog if so equiped and the basics. Lights, horn, emergency brake.

Last edited:

Korllach

Farmall Cub
Am going through hell in Idaho trying to register my scout that was in oregon. the Oregon title says UT as the style and Idaho thinks that means a utility traler. I am pretty sure trailers dont have VIN's correct? especialy not ones that say 1973 International.

pete.rogers

Farmall Cub
A buddy of mine has moved to Texas and his Scout is registered here in Wasington. The frame and body are two Scouts. He removed the body VIN plate when he painted (rhino liner in and out) it. What will Texas want when he moves the Scout down there? He has all titles and the proper VIN plate for the body, but it is differant then frame.

What should he do? What do they inspect on out of state vehicles?

Go to www.txdmv.gov and there are forms there. I would take all titles and such to a regional TXDMV ("VTR") office such as the one we have in San Antonio. I would also bring a couple pictures of the build - both vehicles, especially if he has any VIN data plate, etc. Technically, the vehicle should be registered by the frame # since it is the chassis that is rolling down the road. I've built several Scouts and generally, if you have the title to the actual chassis and the numbers match, there won't be any problem. They may require the vehicle to get inspected, which they do every wednesday morning here in San Antonio. They also have a self-verification form. Remember though - all vehicles in Texas must go through an annual inspection! This is mainly to verify the vehicle has insurance - comparing a copy of your proof of insurance to the actual VIN number of the vehicle. If all you have is a chassis number and not the complete VIN, you may want to order a line setting ticket. For Texas, this can be considered the "Origin" document. The annual inspection is not hard and depending on what station you go to, generally they just check lights, horn, VIN, and proof of insurance. I've been to "Texican" shops who do inspections and all they do is check the insurance card to the vin. I've been to others where they test drive the car and check all kinds of crap so ask around in your area to find the easy ones. Inspections stations do not make very much money out of the $25.00 state fee so generally the faster they do it, the more they can do and the more they can make money - plus most inspection stations (like Jiffy Lube) make money on other stuff so they try to get you in and out in just a few minutes.

Long story short, tell your friend to bring absolutely everything with him that he has and he should be fine. I would get the inspection done BEFORE applying for a title Or you can go in to TXDMV and request a title only if it will be a long time to get it on the road or it will be off-road/ranch/lease only. You can get titles at the local tax offices too but if you go to the TXDMV regional offices, you can walk out with a new title right there instead of waiting forever. Also, TXDMV DOES NOT DO "REGISTRATIONS"! You will have to go to the local county tax office for that.