Floor pans or patch panels for 1971 scout 800?

Discussion in 'General IH Tech' started by 71scout800b, Oct 28, 2010.

1. 71scout800b

71scout800b Farmall Cub

Here in lyes a question that will spark some tension.

I am building a 4x2 1971 Scout 800B. The body has some needs but my main focus at this point is getting it safely on the road. My fist step is replacing the rusted out floor pans. I have been unable to find a set of replacement floor pans for what I feel is a reasonable price. That being said is there any harm in sand blasting, cutting out the rusted sections, and welding in patch panels with new sheet metal? I will then rubber coat the underside of the truck when I finish making my patches. As far as the interior look is concerned I plan on rubber coating and fully carpeting the floor which will cover any "ugly" welds.
    :wrenching:
    No purest knocks please. I have two four wheel drive trucks that get terrible fuel mileage and this little truck is going to be my daily driver with a 4.3 V6, 4L60e, and 10 bolt rear end.

2. 250gibson

250gibson Binder Driver

Why go through all that trouble, just get some 16ga steel and bend up your own using what is existing as a template

3. 71scout800b

71scout800b Farmall Cub

That's pretty much what I was thinking, but no bending, cut and weld works better for me.

4. cosmicgigs

cosmicgigs Farmall Cub

That is what I did, completely from the tunnel out to the rockers. I do have the body on my rotessorie which really helps.

Attached Files: