BinderPlanet.com

Welcome to BinderPlanet.com the World's Premier IH Website.

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Evolution Of My Scout--Photos

2021 Arizona International Harvester Rendezvous

David Fulford

Binder Driver
Just thought I'd post a few pictures of what my '79 Scout has gone through since it was born...

Stock. Dad bought it new (that's him driving).
1375scout_dad.jpg

1375scout_before_shop.jpg

After high school body shop to "fix" the rust and all the dents I put in it while driving it in high school.
1375scout_after_shop.jpg

After sitting in my parents' pasture for 10 years.
1375myscoutbeforeSOA.jpg

SOA by D&C, 33" tires, "new" doors, complete overhaul of the 304 and 727.
1375After_SOA.jpg

New everything (almost). Chris Keck is to credit for this work. He listed everything he did to it in a post below.
1375Tub_Primed3.JPG

Prepped for paint
Primed_and_stripped.jpg

And the finished product.
FrontPassenger.jpg

P1010293-960.jpg

Last edited:

Damian Grihalva

High Wheeler
Signed sealed delivered. Sweet man. Last time I saw your scout it was at Kecks getting the body work done. I cant belive how in-depth chris had to go to get the rust out, but I know its as 'Rusty Free' as it can get. He even got into the trans tunnel, replaced most (if not all the step up to the bed) and replaced just about everything else.

Quite the job. Glad to see it back in your hands. Can't wait to see where it goes from here. Make sure you put some serious undercoating on that thing ~ or just don't drive it in the winter.

Keep posting pictures as it progresses.

Chris Keck

Binder Driver
I like it white myself. I replaced, both Inner/outer rockers, all 4 rocker extensions, both front floor pans, all 6 floor supports, both front cab mounts, both center cab mounts, Lower front fenders on both sides, fiberglass 1/4's both sides, 1/2 of both inner 1/4's, both tailgate pillers, tailgate, patched the rear cargo floor, replaced the top, windsheld frame, DS door, all 4 kick panels and i'am sure i'am missing something. Not much of it wasen't replaced. Diffently keep it out of those winters and it should last a long time.

IH64Scout

Dreams of Cub Cadets
man that's the best part about these old trucks, hearing the stories behind em. seeing the first pic you'd never think that it's the same truck. i kno i'd love to see pics of my '64 scout when it was new, where it's been, same thing with my '80 diesel. good stuff there. :cool: :D keep up the good work!

Greg R

Lives in an IH Dealership
I'm IMPRESSED! Keep 'er washed out good and clean underneath. I'ts been awhile, but I can remember those Eastside winters and all the salt ;)

David Fulford

Binder Driver
Thanks for the replies and compliments guys. I remember the first day my Dad brought it home. I was 8 years old. For some reason I have been completely taken by it every since. Can't explain it, but you know what I mean. It's one of the most powerful pieces of my history. Ever seen the "No Rain" video by Blind Melon? That's how I felt the first time I found this web site.

Anyhow, I have some other pictures of it right after I finished it out the first time. I'll try to dig them up and post them. The second picture is after it had sat for about 10 years.

IMO, Chris Keck is a freakin' genius. The picture doesn't do what he did justice. I have a ton of pictures that I took before, and Chris took a bunch during and after the repairs he did. I'll post them soon. If you're impressed now wait 'till you see these!

Midwest winters are a nasty, slushy, salty ordeal. You can bet all you want that this truck will be babied. My car sits out; not this.

Keep a lookout for this thread. I'll be adding pictures frequently.

-Dave

Last edited:

scoutman800

Y-Block King
cool pictures, great story! thanks for sharing this david. i see it's had some excellent care/repair along the way. wish i had dads old 68 today!

Ricky77

High Wheeler
Chris Keck said:
I like it white myself. I replaced, both Inner/outer rockers, all 4 rocker extensions, both front floor pans, all 6 floor supports, both front cab mounts, both center cab mounts, Lower front fenders on both sides, fiberglass 1/4's both sides, 1/2 of both inner 1/4's, both tailgate pillers, tailgate, patched the rear cargo floor, replaced the top, windsheld frame, DS door, all 4 kick panels and i'am sure i'am missing something. Not much of it wasen't replaced. Diffently keep it out of those winters and it should last a long time.

[hijack] Chris, is this something you do for a business or is it one of those things that you do for friends because you're damn good at it? After looking at those pictures of the before and after that is some great work.[end hijack]

David,
That Scout looks great!!!! It's nice to have a cool background story to go with a great looking rig.

Ricky

David Fulford

Binder Driver
Thanks Ricky. I'm excited about getting it painted, hopefully this year sometime.

I don't want to speak for Chris, but I don't think he's taking on any jobs right now. He was doing it kind of on the side. I left my Scout with him when I moved to Ill. for him to do when he had time, then I had it shipped back to me. He's a great guy, and he really did a nice job.

Damian Grihalva

High Wheeler
Ya, Chris told me that he wasn't taking anymore jobs. He's got plenty to do already, and wants to focus on his own scout (he's like me, you work on everyone elses, and never have time for your own). Since he won 1st in state and 11th nationally, he's also teaching body work at the local CC.

I'm trying to get him to put suicide doors on the T-ette. :cool: :eek: :cool: We'll see.

Chris Keck

Binder Driver
I was doing it on the side after my normal job to make extra money to pay for upgrades on my Scouts, but guess what i haven't touched my own trucks for about 3 years. So its time i enjoy my own stuff for a change.

Damian Grihalva

High Wheeler
That's after you work on my T-ette man! :mad:

Just kiddin' :D

Speaking of which, want to help me do a rust-oration on it? I'll bring it down, and come back when you finish. :D :D :D J/K

IH64Scout

Dreams of Cub Cadets
i know this has nothing to do with this post..... but damian how do you have a icon with out being a supporting member, i didn't think it was possible? :confused:

Damian Grihalva

High Wheeler
"Rico, STATUS REPORT!" We 'penguins' are very covert people you know. We just kept stompin on the keys until it went into 'manual overide' ~ then we changed course, due south, and it allowed us to have an avatar! ;) :D :D

In reality, I didn't go threw the normal channels for becoming a supporting member. Instead of going through the link thingy to subscribe, I simply sent $20 to the BB via my paypal account. Since it didn't go through the normal methods, it didn't update my "status".

On top of the $20/year, I'm sure my $80/month to be an advertiser had something to do with it.

:D :D :D :D

IH64Scout

Dreams of Cub Cadets
Damian Grihalva said:
"Rico, STATUS REPORT!" We 'penguins' are very covert people you know. We just kept stompin on the keys until it went into 'manual overide' ~ then we changed course, due south, and it allowed us to have an avatar! ;) :D :D

In reality, I didn't go threw the normal channels for becoming a supporting member. Instead of going through the link thingy to subscribe, I simply sent $20 to the BB via my paypal account. Since it didn't go through the normal methods, it didn't update my "status".

On top of the $20/year, I'm sure my $80/month to be an advertiser had something to do with it.

:D :D :D :D

oooooohh... ok got ya. ;)