BinderPlanet.com

Welcome to BinderPlanet.com the World's Premier IH Website.

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Do you use lead substitute in a 74 Scout II?

2021 Arizona International Harvester Rendezvous

eyeluv2fish

Farmall Cub
I just picked up a 74 Scout II with a 345. When I pulled into the gas station the other day it occured to me that I might should use leaded gas. I checked the owners manual and it clearly says use leaded gas. However, I asked a couple of binder buddies about it and they say it doesn't matter as long as you use high octane gas.

To lead or not to lead...that is the question... :confused:

SCscoutguy

Staff member
Your engine has hardened valve seats in it so the unleaded gas wont hurt it. As far as the hight octane stuff I dont see any reason for running it. The SV engines were made to work not to be hot rod's. I have run just regular 87 octane for years in my trucks and they run fine. Semper Fi, John

Munchies

High Wheeler
No reason to use lead. No reason to use octane booster. The octane booster will usually hurt your performance unless your pining, (high compression, turbos/supercharger) and IH SV engines are about as low compression as they come.