BinderPlanet.com

Welcome to BinderPlanet.com the World's Premier IH Website.

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Daniel's 800 Project retro wheeler

Friends of BinderPlanet Facebook Group

oldironoffroad

High Wheeler
Looks like we got mixed feelings about the wheels. The cool part is that it is your rig and we can put whatever you like on it Daniel. Your opinion is the most important.:D

TNSportTop

Farmall Cub
I appreciate the words of support Levi, but I could run them both. This is a part of the decision making process. I just don't want a wheel that people are gonna look at and say, WHY?

oldironoffroad

High Wheeler
Got Daniels rig in the shop for some mo work. Got the old junk out and the new stuff sitting in its new home.

For the Scout II 44 I ended up widening the pas. side perch and moved the driver side.

Blended in an old spring perch and drilled a new center hole.

All purdied up. :D

Spring hangers reworked.

Almost in.

Sitting in its new home so I can check shackle angles and do a final weld on the hangers.

oldironoffroad

High Wheeler
Well she is back on the road till the next set of upgrades come around. We started with a box full of parts to finish up the front end. New U joints, ball joints, calipers, rotors, rubber brake lines and the bearings got cleaned and repacked.

Heavy duty tie rod.

I researched around on this and didn't really come up with a solution I liked, but for the pitman arm we ended up just converting the factory pitman to a tre style by using a tapered insert after removing the ball. I was worried that it would change the way the steering felt due to the longer arms on the SII knuckles but after driving it the only thing that I can complain about is the loss of turning radius. We still have a better turning radius than the factory closed knuckle but not full stop to stop on the knuckles. Now worries though I think Daniel decided to make it power steering.:yes: Anyway here are some pics of itback on the road and stretching in the ditch for shock measurement.

Little dead air

TNSportTop

Farmall Cub
Hey Levi, Start thinking about another East and Middle TN get together. These NC and SC guys can't have all the fun. Its good to hang out and have fun without worrying about dues and formalities that come with membership to other Car clubs. Scouts and Skeet. Me and LeftofLucky will bring supplies

Last edited:

TNSportTop

Farmall Cub
Appologies I will be more specific The dues comment is directed toward local Antique car alubs in the area that Us Knox boys have had run ins with. I willl edit my post to say so.
As far as Ya'll across the mountain goes its a bit far to drive an 800 to SC or NC for a ralley. Bring the love over to Levi's and lets party. We'd like to meet you guys. bring some clay pigeons when you come.

Who has dues and formalities? SEBA doesn't!

You must be thinking of the other club in the area.

Last edited:

Mitch Neal

High Wheeler
Appologies I will be more specific The dues comment is directed toward local Antique car alubs in the area that Us Knox boys have had run ins with. I willl edit my post to say so.
As far as Ya'll across the mountain goes its a bit far to drive an 800 to SC or NC for a ralley. Bring the love over to Levi's and lets party. We'd like to meet you guys. bring some clay pigeons when you come.

No apologies neccesary!

C'mon, I drove my 800 to Ohio to the Nationals with no top in September. 1000 miles in a weekend. When we left Greenville it was over a 100 degrees! After Levi gets through, you should be able to drive it to California, if you wanted!:D

I realize ya'll are a ways away, and understand.

TNSportTop

Farmall Cub
Speaking of Heat. What is the general Thoughts on an aluminum radiator. Aluminum doesn't evap heat any better than Brass. as a rule it is only lighter. So Im tempted to just stay with the 3 core brass stock unit
No apologies neccesary!

C'mon, I drove my 800 to Ohio to the Nationals with no top in September. 1000 miles in a weekend. When we left Greenville it was over a 100 degrees! After Levi gets through, you should be able to drive it to California, if you wanted!:D

I realize ya'll are a ways away, and understand.

mcsmythe

Farmall Cub

TNSportTop

Farmall Cub
I like #1 but I'm partial to the original steelies. Your 235/85-16 tire selection is right-on :thumbs up: I've got 750-16LT bias ply's on mine and love em....retro to the max.

I don't have ay original 16s but do have the original 15s with stock stainless 800 hubcaps. BFG makes a 33 9.50 15 all terrain that i think would improve the stance and still look like pizza cutters. Later i'll do blackrock wheels with KM2s as trail tires

TNSportTop

Farmall Cub
Clutch at clutch shop not terrible. The Radiator was shot so here goes. Looks Like its Aluminum Rad time. No matter how restrained you try to be with a build it tries to pull away from the mild side. One day I will embrace the Wild.

oldironoffroad

High Wheeler
Yep... Then one day you are casually working on your rig, pick up a sawzall , start to twitch, and all kind of crazy things happen. Been there done that.:D . I will post some updates in the next few days.:beer: