BinderPlanet.com

Welcome to BinderPlanet.com the World's Premier IH Website.

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Colonel Mustard - 1975 IH Travelall 150

Friends of BinderPlanet Facebook Group

stroker3

Lives in an IH Dealership
It's a strange spot for for sure. Don't know where a better spot might be with the tanks shape and position though. Believe locating a sending unit at the top of a tank like that would be a challange. No matter how good , bad or dangerous , the fumes let you know right away that something isn't right with the sending units seal and it's kinda hard to ignore things like that with the tank being where it is......LOL..... Unlike the underslung tanks outside of the cabin that tend to be ignored when seepage or leaks kick in only when the tank is full.

EDIT: Almost forgot. Very nice, quality work as usual.

Last edited:

RinTX

Y-Block King
Looks awesome.
I have not had any leak issues with the sending unit on the main tank. Been installed about 2 years at this point.

stroker3

Chris, lots of trucks with behind the seat tanks have the senders mounted on the side...
My fathers 58 GMC was like that. Back in the day when almost everyone smoked too. Most people actually survived all that danger too.....never heard of too many trucks blowing up.

MrKenmore

So I was seeing slightly higher coolant temps when I redid the gauges and sender. The only change in the system was moving the supply side of the heater core back to the #8 cylinder. It was previously off the stat housing which is where my new mechanical temp probe lives. Just to make sure I did not have any air trapped in the system, I did a bleed using the all in one funnel tool. Easy to set up. However, I did not see any gurgling of air come out. I did park on a hill to promote air finding it's way to the radiator. I also had the heat on to make sure coolant was circulating through the heater core. Mechanical temp gauge just went to just under 200 degrees and stayed there.
20210725_131838.jpg

I should probably do put a complete super duper flush on my list as the coolant that came through the bottom of the funnel as things warmed up was not a beautiful neon green. Definitely had a little brown tint.
20210725_132134.jpg

Also took the time to top off all the fluids. Power steering, engine oil and transmission were all a little low. No danger zone but definitely needed a topping off.

My next item on the to do list is the rear brake rubber hose and hard lines on the axle. I believe the rubber line I have now is original. I was able to get a replacement from Isa's IH.
442849C2b.jpg

That is really the only game in town for this rubber line. I tried all different kinds of options but you need the rear left port to face backward with a SUA configuration. The hard line would get smashed if the axle tube hit the bump stop if your used a normal style with the port on the side. I'm honestly terrified the inverted flare nut from the main hard line to the rubber hose will not come undone. I've sprayed it with Kroil with my fingers crossed. I have bent new lines for the axle using NiCopp and my favorite inverted flaring tool kit (Mastercool 72485).

RinTX

Y-Block King
My next item on the to do list is the rear brake rubber hose and hard lines on the axle. I believe the rubber line I have now is original. I was able to get a replacement from Isa's IH.
View attachment 211454
That is really the only game in town for this rubber line. I tried all different kinds of options but you need the rear left port to face backward with a SUA configuration. The hard line would get smashed if the axle tube hit the bump stop if your used a normal style with the port on the side. I'm honestly terrified the inverted flare nut from the main hard line to the rubber hose will not come undone. I've sprayed it with Kroil with my fingers crossed. I have bent new lines for the axle using NiCopp and my favorite inverted flaring tool kit (Mastercool 72485).
You made me look back at pics of my rear axle set up. I used a rear rubber brake line from a Ford. A little long but it fit and the attachments are both on the side and match the original config on my 1973. I was worried for a minute - did I miss something and could my brake line get crushed as you mentioned? I guess this is one of those differences 73 and earlier vs 74/75.
DC0C3E01-F8F1-4697-8A09-BCEE31C2689F.jpeg

Last edited:

Chris Cooper

High Wheeler
The above pic reminds me of a question I've had for a while: Dodge M-Series truck brake lines are entirely encased in that coiled wire-- is that armor?

Mrs Kenmore

Farmall Cub
S-U-C-C-E-S-S- That's the way we spell Success!

Third time is a charm- thank you to ALL of you that helped me source my one missing headliner bow clip to finish off my project. Special kudos to Jeff Campbell and the boys in Nebraska!! It is very much so appreciated! Paint to commence tonight! :tt1:

20210726_142432.jpg

MrKenmore

Rear brake line swap was a success last night. The inverted flare nut at hard line / rubber hose did not put up much of a fight. I was ready with some inverted flare couples in case I needed to cut the line back. New rubber hose and new NiCopp axle hard lines are installed. All the fluid drained out of the MC rear reservoir during the job so I'll need to bleed the MC using my favorite turkey baster technique.

Perdido

Binder Driver
Rear brake line swap was a success last night. The inverted flare nut at hard line / rubber hose did not put up much of a fight. I was ready with some inverted flare couples in case I needed to cut the line back. New rubber hose and new NiCopp axle hard lines are installed. All the fluid drained out of the MC rear reservoir during the job so I'll need to bleed the MC using my favorite turkey baster technique.
I’ve used this technique for saving brake fluid in my clutch and brake repairs and it really does work. Take the top off of the master and place a piece of Saran Wrap over the opening, press down until the Saran Wrap contacts the brake fluid. When you open a bleeder you’ll know if it worked or not, always has on mine. A few drips are normal, but the system won’t empty.
Rut

stroker3

Like the idea of creating a vacuum at the master.

Getting lazy as the years go by and began using gravity as a helper. I've had pretty good luck leaving the repaired connection loose, fill the master and do something else for awhile. Once the fluid drips out into a container at a pretty good rate, tighten it. Very little, if any air left in there to bleed after that.

MrKenmore

So MrsKenmore and I bled the rear brakes. We had one new connection that required further tightening at the tee on the axle. I got good flow out if the back using the pump pedal 1-2-3 times hold pressure crack bleeder technique.

I used the bleeder plug which replaces the emergency switch. This keeps the shaft from moving and thinking one circuit has a leak. But.....with that plug in to hold the shaft, I noticed brake fluid coming out. Ugh. So this means the internal seal is compromised. Who knows how long it has been allowing fluid past. With the switch installed, no fluid comes out (o ring seal). I reinstalled the switch and continued the bleeding process as normal. The shaft did not move so no emergency light came on.

This is my second "new" combo valve (both from a Light Line dealer). The first one leaked out of the front button (plastic cover). I'm convinced one supplier makes all of these and they are all garbage. You can read issues all over the interwebs from GM guys.

I'm going to test drive tonight. We will see if things behave exactly as they were before. I'm seriously considering getting a Wilwood style manual adjustable valve.

J.J.

My fathers 58 GMC was like that. Back in the day when almost everyone smoked too. Most people actually survived all that danger too.....never heard of too many trucks blowing up.

tanks inside the trucks were the way it was. My '47 flat fender features the fuel tank directly under the drivers seat. The military versions were that you pulled the drivers bottom seat cushion UP to fill the tank that way. Think about that and some GIs smoking away..

JJ in TN

stroker3

The military versions were that you pulled the drivers bottom seat cushion UP to fill the tank that way. Think about that and some GIs smoking away..
Yup...some of the stuff people did back then and thought nothing of it is kinda funny today. And going back further you must know about the dash/cowl location as well. And we're here now because those guys actually survived.........for the most part anyway....LOL.... guessing when one guy caught himself on fire, the rest learned something.