BinderPlanet.com

Welcome to BinderPlanet.com the World's Premier IH Website.

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Colonel Mustard - 1975 IH Travelall 150

2021 Arizona International Harvester Rendezvous

J.J.

Lives in an IH Dealership
Losing the old mechanical one is the way to go. I have converted mine over many years ago. The old push/pull system leaked when they were new. I remember (I must be a geezer).

JJ in TN

stroker3

The stock configuration allowed the switch to perform independent functions which I liked. You could check your tank levels and switch the tanks as independent actions.
Like that as well but the downside is the operator..... LOL. Sister switched tanks once and forgot to turn the knob. Thought she had gas but she sucked one tank dry. Luckily we checked all the simple stuff before calling for a tow.

RinTX

High Wheeler
A thought popped into my head when you mentioned discrete location of the switch between fuel tanks - would it be possible to have an off position on that discrete switch as an anti theft device?
One cool thing about my diesel Scout - the manual fuel shut off is a sort of anti theft device. Most youngsters out there don’t know how to operate it.

Lars-S

Farmall Cub
I did that with my CJ and it does 2 things - the anti-theft you mention and if need to turn engine but not start or de-flood it. Yes I have flooded the TBI. If cranks but doesn't start a potential thief, especially newbies lol, will give up rather than risk having attention drawn to them.. Not sure if I can do something similar with an FI in tank system I am putting in Scout but should be doable

MrKenmore

Dreams of Cub Cadets
Well, Mom is coming home which means Colonel Mustard comes home. My complimentary winter garage storage is up!!!
20210228_105638.jpg

I found out the Scout II jack is I-DENTICAL (My Cousin Vinny reference to those who get it) to a Jeep Cherokee XJ jack. The XJ jack is nice. It was included up until the early 2000's so they are easy to get in good condition. I had already replaced the jack on the Terra with an XJ jack. I decided to give it a try on the Colonel. Remember, I have the IFS front end so a bottle jack could be tricky. Then I remembered my IH owner's manual.
20210228_111802.jpg

Sure enough, this did the trick. So it's bye bye bumper jack!!!!!
20210228_102339.jpg

20210228_102334.jpg

While I had the tires off the ground, I gave them the old shake test. I really need to do the wheel bearings. Quite a bit of wiggle. I already bought all the front wheel bearings and seals so I am ready to go. It's a priority item.

Other thoughts........
1. Still need to locate the exhaust leak on the driver's side. May need to replace the exhaust manifold to head gasket with the JJ special edition gasket - guaranteed to make a seal (or your money back LOL)!
2. It probably makes sense for me to pull the intake manifold, valley pan and valve covers to clean up, paint and re-gasket. I know the valve covers are leaking (big shock).
3. Transmission still leaking from who knows where. I need to wipe down the entire area to properly pinpoint the leak. I already replaced the shifter seal and the pan seal.

MrKenmore

Dreams of Cub Cadets
Ehhh, kind of in the middle. Still some snow on the ground here but it's been raining quite a bit over the past week. Not sure of Florida weather!!! Never seems to get that warm in the winter.

stroker3

Not too concerned about most things but that stuff IS nasty. Have to use it sometimes.. (takes the curse of so called 'weather beaten' glass caused by screens in old homes) ......if a small gust of wind comes by the wrong way when your rubbing it your eyes water and any exposed skin feels like it's burning. Only use it when I absolutely have to. Kinda wish it didn't work so well.....LOL....

.OH..almost forgot........very nice work on that grill. Looks great!

Lars-S

Farmall Cub
Good to be respective of it. In addition to the sodium hydroxide (caustic soda/lye) it has 2 other ingredients that attack fats and grease. In essence 3 that can melt your skin away VERY SCARY. You may not even feel it unlike with acids that burn so definitely lots of water was a good idea but a mild acid to neutralize can help too (vinegar/citric). The fumes are really bad plus on aluminum it gives off hydrogen gas - kaboom so being outdoors is definitely better - yet they still allow it for ovens go figure.. On our metal prep line we used it to anodize and deanodize aluminum. It did make it look very clean and purdy but even with the electric hoist to get it in and out of tanks all of us were very respectful (FEARFUL lol) of it ... so yep ...SCARY stuff

RinTX

High Wheeler
My Dad owned a small family restaurant when I was growing up. Closed Saturdays and 2-3 workers came in and basically tore the place apart, scrubbed everything and put it back together. I started working there on Saturdays when I was around 8. Used lots of Off for a lot of years. That stuff is strong and quite nasty.

MrKenmore

Dreams of Cub Cadets
The horizontal black interrupting the shiny aluminum really makes it nice! All fasteners are 1/4-20 body bolts with the built in washers. The three fasteners in the front are 1/4-20 oval head stainless steel machine screws. 1/4-20 U nuts used throughout on the sides and at the stainless oval head screws.

I believe it left the factory using 5/16" bolts on the sides that you access from inside the fender. The 1/4" gives you a little more wiggle room and accomplishes the same thing.