BinderPlanet.com

Welcome to BinderPlanet.com the World's Premier IH Website.

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Colonel Mustard - 1975 IH Travelall 150

2021 Arizona International Harvester Rendezvous

MrKenmore

Dreams of Cub Cadets
My truck apparently didn't come from the factory with any door-activated interior light switches, so I'm interested in this. I don't even know where they go.
I've been thinking about this recently. I'm nearly certain that door switches for the dome lights was an option. I found it in the 1975 brochure. I also wondered why I had this random green wire all by itself outside of the main wiring harness. It's like it was an add on. I noticed the fancy map light and cruise control are wired the same way. A mini harness outside the main harness. I wasn't happy when I discovered the map light has zero fuse protection. It hooks up directly to the main six terminal always on Packard 56 connector.

All my door switches are installed now and working great. The passenger side got the GM style with the 3/8-24 thread. The drivers side used the 1/4-20 version. The GM style is nice. More robust. I used clear vinyl on both leads to prevent it from accidentally grounding to the body within the cavity.

MrKenmore

Dreams of Cub Cadets
So I am thinking again about a fuel tank in between the frame rails (28" clear). This will of course require the replacement of the IH weight distribution hitch with something with less reach. The Curt 13028 which covers many Ford and Chevy trucks appears to be pretty close to the frame dimensions the Travelall has (Curt is 31 1/8" center to center of mounting holes). I'd really like to get my hot little hands on a 1990's Suburban tank. It's 29 3/4" wide but i don't know if that is the seam joint or the actually tank. I'm aware I'll have to make a hole in the frame and also relocate the cross member that is riveted in the frame. The search continues!

mongocanfly

High Wheeler
("I'd really like to get my hot little hands on a 1990's Suburban tank.")
If only I'd known...I had one from the burbn I parted out last yr.....its long gone now..

stroker3

Lives in an IH Dealership
This will of course require the replacement of the IH weight distribution hitch with something with less reach.
Unsure how much difference there is in the rear portion of the 74/75 frame but 73-87 chevy hitch's are nearly a bolt in on the 73 and earlier IH. The reese hitch for the chevy worked well on a 70 t'all when I put a small aux gas tank in between the frame rails back there.

MrKenmore

Dreams of Cub Cadets
Unsure how much difference there is in the rear portion of the 74/75 frame but 73-87 chevy hitch's are nearly a bolt in on the 73 and earlier IH. The reese hitch for the chevy worked well on a 70 t'all when I put a small aux gas tank in between the frame rails back there.
The Blazer one is slightly different but the pickup version I mentioned above seems to cover a lot of years, models and makes. I may give it a go. I need to drop the existing hitch now to confirm the holes 100%. I got a rough idea right now.

Chris Cooper

High Wheeler
So let me take a look at my IH LMC catalog.....oh wait! We don't have one LOL!!!!!

Here is my fix for the tailgate weatherstripping (outside portion only). Repops was trying to send me a workable prototype but the clips were way too big. They have not sent the revised piece with new clips that would fit the 3/16" slot so it was time to make my own fix (as usual). I drilled out each location with a 17/32" drill bit. I opened the access panel and removed the rubber bumps so the glass could go further down. I then secured the strip with Auveco Ford 19425 clips. Stem diameter is 7/32" so it grabbed the 3/16" slot fairly well. I do wish the Christmas Tree portion had some more "branches" as it appears some locations had trouble grabbing. I may look into alternatives in my Auveco catalog.
View attachment 182849

View attachment 182848

View attachment 182847

View attachment 182846
View attachment 182845 I believe 19449 would have been a better choice as there are "branches" all the way down. I'll order a box of them in my next Auveco order. It also have the same 7/32" stem diameter which seemed to grab a 3/16" hole pretty good.
View attachment 182850
Matthew, you just made my long-delayed door repaint doable with that post. Those are what I need to pop the (early D-Series only) weatherstrip off the top of the doors, paint, and reinstall the weatherstrip after I (seemingly inevitably) destroy the old clips removing them.
:clap::banana:

Thank you, thank you, thank you...

MrKenmore

Dreams of Cub Cadets
Matthew, you just made my long-delayed door repaint doable with that post. Those are what I need to pop the (early D-Series only) weatherstrip off the top of the doors, paint, and reinstall the weatherstrip after I (seemingly inevitably) destroy the old clips removing them.
:clap::banana:

Thank you, thank you, thank you...
Nice. I attribute finding those clips to having the complete Auveco catalog (hard copy, not a PDF!). Funny how IH made all these slight changes with the D Series over the years. I had to go back into your thread to see a picture of the second weatherstripping.

MrKenmore

Dreams of Cub Cadets
It's funny how once stuff is done you're like, "Oh, I shoulda coulda woulda done such and such while I had it apart." I'm having that feeling with my dash wiring harness. I should have run a ignition on wire to power a future voltmeter (could also be used for a tachometer). It would have been nice to incorporate it into the main loom. I also realize I should have wrapped up the door switch wire into the main loom and not kept it loose the way IH did it!

RinTX

High Wheeler
I second guess myself all the time. I obsess about stupid stuff that has me go back and redo things all the time.

MrKenmore

Dreams of Cub Cadets
So I removed the existing weight distribution hitch. This thing looks like a metal shop project for first year students. The welds are so sloppy! It is secured to the frame with eight 1/2" bolts. Six of which were fine thread. Here is the patient.
20201127_134954.jpg

With the hitch off the frame, I got a nice view of the available holes on the frame. Kinda like swiss cheese. This is the passenger side.
20201127_142939.jpg

I'm considering ditching the existing hitch and going with the Curt 13028. This fits a lot of Ford and Chevy trucks through the years. Here are the measurements. Looks like I can make it work.
Curt 13028 Dimension 2.jpg

Curt 13028 Dimension 1.jpg
The drop of the stock hitch is 4" so this one is 1/2" lower.
Curt 13028 Dimension 3.jpg

My max tow would be about 3,500 pounds. It's a small 16 foot Airstream Basecamp. It looks like this one would be very adequate. I also want to free up space underneath for either a gas tank or maybe an underslung spare tire.

Last edited:

MrKenmore

Dreams of Cub Cadets
Thats not a factory hitch,the center tube might be,but the rest is not,the 2 side channels have been added.
Hahahhahaa!!!! That sounds about right for Colonel Mustard. It's on the LST but this is not the correct one. Classic. Anyone have pics of the correct one? Now I really won't feel bad about replacing this one!
20201018_142611.jpg

stroker3

That looks slightly different than the 73 and earlier hitch. Guess would be your's may have been a earlier one that was modified to fit the 74/75. Our old 73 that has the hitch listed on the LST was a reese hitch on the truck IIRC.

Jeff Jamison

There are 3 different ones I have seen,all 3 will bolt into any travelall from 67 to 75 ,the one on my 75 seems lighter duty than the one off of my 68.Some have tubes like pictured in the book,others have angle irons,and they use different size hardware

J.J.

Ive got a couple of stock ones, Reese is stamped into the top part. Buried in the small shed. Sorry no pics available. I did put an aftermarket one on my '74 100, think it is a Curt. Was on a GMC pickup.

JJ in TN