BinderPlanet.com

Welcome to BinderPlanet.com the World's Premier IH Website.

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Colonel Mustard - 1975 IH Travelall 150

Binder TV

MrKenmore

Dreams of Cub Cadets
A tale of two paints! I'm not really sure what happened here but as we were going through all the paint cans making sure we had pictures of the formulas, it looks like we mixed two Buckskins. The formulas are slightly different. The first can was used on the interior.
20200619_150158.jpg

But this was the one used on the exterior and the inner door panels.
20201031_165228.jpg
For future reference, the 2nd one (dated 6/22/2020) is correct. You can't really tell the two different colors.

The "tanbark" we used was from the Valspar color book (18S1438).
20201031_094410.jpg

20201031_095420.jpg

MrKenmore

Dreams of Cub Cadets
We spent a very spooky Halloween installing the exterior trim. On Friday we went to our neighbor's sign shop. He bought is a roll of matte black Avery peel and stick vinyl. We cut strips on his larger cutting table. It really came out incredible. Far easier than masking the area to spray. Measure twice, cut once.
20201030_141115.jpg

20201030_145550.jpg

20201030_145844.jpg
Very serious work!
20201030_161812.jpg
All done!
20201030_163926.jpg

MrKenmore

Dreams of Cub Cadets
We used the beautiful NOS clips from Jeff Campbell for install.
20201020_195203.jpg
Prior to install, MrsKenmore hit the backside of the trim where the vinyl folds back with some clear nail polish to keep it from coming undone.
20201031_112424.jpg

Before:
20201031_104454.jpg

After:
20201031_162818.jpg

20201031_163426.jpg

20201031_164252.jpg

I was really blown away at the difference it made. The large lower pieces in between the wheel wells each get a #8 oval head screw. We used stainless steel but it appears IH used black. The doors and rear quarter tiny piece can take a 3/4" long screw. The fender needs a shorty, probably 3/8". I just took a 3/4" screw and cur the end off. Perfect fit! Another important tip is the top thin trim on the front door has a clearance issue. The forward most clip needs to be trimmed otherwise it will not go in.

You will notice the alignment is off from the fender to the front door of the top trim. This was the same when I got the Colonel. I believe this is due to that fender not being original to this vehicle. In retrospect, I could have corrected this by drilling new trim holes on the fender or the door. We also learned it is tricky to properly mask where the white and buckskin change. The rear trim is real thin so we screwed up a small spot. You can see some buckskin where the white should be. First one to spot it in person gets a beer from me!

Exterior open items include:
1. Polishing the grille (which we now know what to do)
2. Tailgate glass weatherstripping (waiting on REPOPS to send me another prototype)
3. Drop hitch and paint black
4. Caulk/seal rear quarter glass black (I'm trying to find the most appropriate product, any suggestions?)

oneof3k

High Wheeler
I've only been to Duane's "junkyard/museum" once looking for Scout 80/800 parts, but I noticed he had a lot of the larger IH's. Perhaps in passing, I did indeed spy the Colonel in his waiting-for-a-new-home deep sleep!

stroker3

Lives in an IH Dealership
Wow...that came out soooo nice.
Couldn't resist a before and after look. It looks the same..... only better...LOL

Found myself looking for all the suttle changes, almost like those pictures in a childrens book.
You two did a awesome job bringing it back to what it was probably like when new...

index.php
index.php

JDMJNKY

Farmall Cub
18 pages in, 10 from the end and backwards; then 8 from the start, forward. The detail oriented photos truly get me fired up! I geek out to this stuff. I can't stress functionality enough. Function>Form. Love this thread both you and your wife are maintaining this T'all very well. I can't wait to go through it all.

RinTX

High Wheeler
Black polyurethane caulk

I’m working on the interior roof on my Travelall. After I epoxy prime it - I intend to pull the back glass and treat the rust back there. I have the same new gaskets that you used. My thinking is that I will mask the exterior area, put a thin bead of black polyurethane caulk around the gasket where it pushes against the exterior and then reinstall the window and gasket.

MrKenmore

Dreams of Cub Cadets
Black polyurethane caulk

I’m working on the interior roof on my Travelall. After I epoxy prime it - I intend to pull the back glass and treat the rust back there. I have the same new gaskets that you used. My thinking is that I will mask the exterior area, put a thin bead of black polyurethane caulk around the gasket where it pushes against the exterior and then reinstall the window and gasket.
I want to make a bead on the outside encompassing the painted metal, rubber and glass. That's what I did before the resto and it worked well.