BinderPlanet.com

Welcome to BinderPlanet.com the World's Premier IH Website.

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

CMP IHC Rack Grades

Binder TV

Bill USN-1

Staff member
Not sure how many IHC's will be left in the future but they are down to the Rack Grades(fair) and list about 100 of them. The sale just started today so they may not last long.
$760
RACK GRADE: (Fair)
Rack Grade Rifles. Most of these rifles have been refinished or rebuilt at least once while in military service and will likely have some parts from other manufacturers. Rifle wear will be exhibited by worn and mixed colors of the finish; there may be some minor pitting on the metal parts; wood will be basically sound but may be well used with minor hairline cracks, poor fit, and many digs, scratches and gouges; wood may not match in color, type of wood or condition. These rifles may have some foreign parts and wood may be Walnut, Birch, Beech or other variety. Rifles do not have import marks. Bores will be generally good with only minor imperfections; the barrel crown may be nicked, and the muzzle may gauge more than “3” on muzzle gauge. The Throat Erosion will gauge more than “5”. The overall appearance and condition of the rack grade will generally be rougher than any other grade. Fair condition.

Manufacturer selection only guarantees the receiver was produced by the manufacturer listed. The barrel and the other parts may have been produced by other manufacturers.

RACK Grade M1 Garand
ITEM # DESCRIPTION PRICE
RM1IHCR CMP has a very limited amount of M1 Garand, IHC Rack Grade Rifles available. These rifles will be offered mail order, sold as is, with no exchanges. The rifles are rack grade (rough but functional and have been test fired).We have approximately 105 of these rifles. Due to the limited quantity and popularity of IHC rifles, if your order is not in house on 11/16/15, more than likely it will not be filled. We expect these rifles to sell out the first day.
We will begin accepting orders 11/16/15. Any orders received prior to this date will be returned. Once your order is received in house, they are put into a container with all orders received that day. We DO NOT time stamp orders.

$760
Delivery time 1-2 weeks from placing order

Free Shipping
Each customer is limited to one rifle.

Bill USN-1

Staff member
Mine arrived today.
It's not the prettiest one I have gotten but it is a Tractor!

Looks like the receiver and op rod are the only IH parts.
Finish is fairly worn and the gas tube is almost bare.
Plan is to load it tomorrow and see how it does.

IHC_Garand_457.jpg

IHC_Garand_457_3_.jpg

IHC_Garand_457_4_.jpg

IHC_Garand_457_5_.jpg

IHC_Garand_457_6_.jpg

IHC_Garand_457_7_.jpg

IHC_Garand_457_8_.jpg

IHC_Garand_457_9_.jpg

IHC_Garand_457_10_.jpg

IHC_Garand_457_11_.jpg

IHC_Garand_457_14_.jpg

IHC_Garand_457_17_.jpg

Ron A

High Wheeler
Very Nice. When I was younger, and shot M1s in Service Rifle Matches, nobody wanted the IHC versions. Now it seems like they are some of the most sought after.

Rob Walker

Farmall Cub
I never knew IH made rifles...pretty cool. I've got 20 yrs in the Army and always wanted an M1, now I really want an IH M1!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

gpa

Binder Driver
A Line Materials barrel made in Milwaukee, WI. Interesting.
Intrigue with the IH guns led me to discover that manufacturing these guns was not as easy as it may appear & they outsourced barrels to a Milwaukee Co. that made High tension line insulators among other things.
The building still exists in Downtown & is being converted in Apartments/Condos or some such thing.
http://content.mpl.org/cdm/ref/collection/HstoricPho/id/518

mallen

Lives in an IH Dealership
Intrigue with the IH guns led me to discover that manufacturing these guns was not as easy as it may appear & they outsourced barrels to a Milwaukee Co. that made High tension line insulators among other things.
The building still exists in Downtown & is being converted in Apartments/Condos or some such thing.
It makes sense. Most of the parts of a riffle are just machined pieces of metal. Some are heat treated but the same sorts of equipment that make internal engine components or mechanical typewriters can make rifles. Barrels are something special though. They are made on special equipment, which in fact I'm told has not been made for many many years. (It was explained to me that if you need one you have to buy and perhaps refurbish one of the old ones) Theres actually quite a bit of argument over whether barrels made the old way are better (or not) than the more modern way of using a rotary hammer over a mandrel and squeezing off barrels by the meter. (The Germans invented the technique of using a rotary hammer to swage a blank over a mandrel with a rifling pattern back before WWII. The idea was to be able to economically make cheap barrels for small caliber arms as an end run around treaties.) I understand that all Ruger barrels are now made this way so the process these days seems to be very good. Still, some people swear by barrels made the old way.

I seriously want one of those,but at this time there is just no way. I guess if I really really want one I can always pay the price later from someone reselling one. :-( Reminds me of the time the local sporting goods store had a brand new Winchester 1895 in 405 winchester, essentially Teddy Roosevelt favorite rifle, marked down from 1400 dollars to 700. I had the money for it,but decided to wait a day. That night I realized my fat lazy 20lb Siamese cat had a bad infection in his back teeth. Cost me $790 dollars to have those back teeth pulled.

Last edited:

gpa

Binder Driver
Would you believe that today we are home to Badger, Krieger & Obermeyer? There is a fourth premium barrel manufacturer in the area that I can't think of right now.

540fan

Farmall Cub
Would you believe that today we are home to Badger, Krieger & Obermeyer? There is a fourth premium barrel manufacturer in the area that I can't think of right now.
I scored for Boots Obermeyer once at a Racine match. It was a 4 gun 600 or basically 80 rounds shot prone at 600 yards. He was using a banged up bolt gun while most had shiny custom builds. He shot a 798 with 53Xs and told me that he dropped the two points because he over corrected on his windage! He won the match.

When I lived up there I would buy my powders from him and had been over to his shop a number of times and it was neat to see some 80 year old equipment clicking away making barrels.

Jack Krieger makes a Critireon line of Garand barrels. Get one if you need a spare, they're good.

Also shot with a good friend who had a Swed Mauser getting ready for a bolt match. We took it over to Ernie's place at Badger barrels and he had one of his guys hand lap the barrel. It shot lights out! He also lapped my IHC Garand and it's a sleeper in battle rifle matches!

If you could spend a day with the three of those guys like I have a few times, you are humbled by they're knowledge and ingenuity.

540fan

Farmall Cub
Those LMR barrels are some of the best shooting barrels on a Garand. IHC had they're struggles learning how to manufacture a rifle as it was a little out of the wheel house but they turned one a great product. Line an IH up next to a Winchester Garand and IH is better quality hands down. Winchesters were sloppy, because they're Winchester and they could. Also made in a different time period (war years). H&Rs and IHs never saw combat they were part OD the production dispersion during Cold War years. If the Russians laid an egg in MA, good bye small arms production...

Ron A

High Wheeler
Bartlein is in Wisconsin. Single point cut rifling just like Krieger. Criterion which Krieger owns I believe button rifles . The Machines Mallen refers to are old Pratt Whitney cut rifling machines. Bartlein has a new machine, as does Krieger from what I understand. The real trick with a rifle barrel is to start with a good stress free blank. Drill it straight, turn it to dimensions and impart the rifling in the barrel without adding stress to the steel. Bartlein is every bit as good as Krieger IMO. Both are very top shelf.