BinderPlanet.com

Welcome to BinderPlanet.com the World's Premier IH Website.

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

CMP IHC Garands- Round 2

2021 Arizona International Harvester Rendezvous

Bill USN-1

Staff member
For those that are not that into all things IHC, which included the M1 Garand rifle, the CMP-civilian marksmanship program, has opened up a second round of selling these unicorns.

I got my dream order in for one so now it's just a sit and wait to see if I hit the lottery and win one.

attachment.php

All IHC M1 Garands are limited to one per customer. We will begin accepting orders March 11th. Any orders received prior to this date will not be accepted. The quantities available of the Garands listed below are limited and will be sold to qualified purchasers "first come first serve" with no preferential treatment. A small quantity will be offered in the stores with the majority going to mail order customers. The M1s are no exchange due to severely limited quantities available. The XM855 is limited in our inventory and probably the last we will ever see or be allowed to offer.

RM1IHCS- M1 Garand IHC Service Grade. Only part guaranteed to be IHC is the receiver. Some other parts could be IHC but not guaranteed. Please see M1 Service Grade description on website.
$960.00 - Free Shipping except AK, HI, PR.

RM1IHCF- M1 Garand IHC Field Grade. Only part guaranteed to be IHC is the receiver. Some other parts could be IHC but not guaranteed. Please see M1 Field Grade description on website.

$810.00 - Free Shipping except AK, HI, PR.

RM1IHCSLMR- M1 Garand IHC Service Grade with IHC receiver and LMR barrel. Some other parts could be IHC but not guaranteed. Please see M1 Service Grade description on website.

$1010.00 - Free Shipping except AK, HI, PR.

RM1IHCFLMR- M1 Garand IHC Field Grade with IHC receiver and LMR barrel. Some other parts could be IHC but not guaranteed. Please see M1 Field Grade description on website.

$960.00 - Free Shipping except AK, HI, PR.

RM1IHCSGAP4- M1 Service Grade IHC with 4 million Gap Letter IHC receiver and LMR barrel. Some other parts could be IHC but not guaranteed.

$1110.00 - Free Shipping except AK, HI, PR.

Attachments

• Garand_Posed (640x304).jpg
    Garand_Posed (640x304).jpg
    115.4 KB · Views: 1,326

Bill USN-1

Staff member
No "sold out" email has been received yet.
Doesn't mean they don't already have enough orders to fill them all tho.

72soa

High Wheeler
Can you get ammo for those vintage rifles. Seems I have read that the standard issue 30-06 modern rounds are too powerful for those rifles. The ejection system gets worn out too quick or something to that effect. Cool rifle though.

CoopVA

Binder Driver
There's still some milsurp rounds out there. CMP sells it and most gun shows have it available.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Bill USN-1

Staff member
all major ammo makers still make rounds for target, competition and hunting.
30.06 is still a pretty common/desired round.

mhouston

Farmall Cub
I have an IHC M-1 Garand that was re chambered in 7.62x51 NATO. It's a very similar round to the .308 and looks VERY similar, but you CANNOT shoot .308 out of my rifle. The round is slightly smaller and has a much higher pressure. 7.62 is a little harder to find than .30-06.

Though, all standard issue garands are chambered in the original .30-06, readily available, though not cheap when you consider $8-10 every time you load 8 rounds.

It's easily the most fun gun I own, I hope you can get one!

cudamank

Farmall Cub
I Have a M1 Garand, although Not an IHC, (hope to add one of those). I reload my own 30.06 for it. They are fun to shoot and a piece of U.S.A. History.

72soa

High Wheeler
I had heard that the modern 30-06 rounds were too powerful for the M-1 and would wear out the ejection mechanism. Supposedly the rifle could be modified to use the modern rounds. So did we ever get the rifle?

Bill USN-1

Staff member
Just arrived today.
It's the opposite of my last one.
It was almost all correct parts with the IH stock.
This one is beautiful with a brand new walnut stock, IH receiver and bolt, LMR barrel but most other parts are mix and matched during the armory process.
So I think this one will be my IH shooter and keep my original IH for the shelf.

DSC05273_640x480_.jpg

DSC05274_640x480_.jpg

DSC05279_640x480_.jpg

I also found a guy that does a lot of custom engraving and he duplicated the M1 heel stamp so here is mine for my custom coffee cups.
theblastingcabinet.com

Mugs.jpg

Mug2.jpg

Garand_Design_-_Bill_s_Proof1_495x640_.jpg

72soa

High Wheeler
Very nice rifle. One of these days I will get one of those so it can ride in the gun rack in my Scout.

dixiedrummer

Farmall Cub
I had heard that the modern 30-06 rounds were too powerful for the M-1 and would wear out the ejection mechanism. Supposedly the rifle could be modified to use the modern rounds. So did we ever get the rifle?

There is a risk of damaging the op rod if you run commercial loads. The pressure curve isn't the same. In order to run those, you would have to get an adjustable gas plug. Pretty easy fix. I hand load for everything, so I just load milspec rounds. I do have an adjustable plug if I want to load something hotter.

Nice rifles Bill! Hope you enjoy shooting them as much as I enjoy shooting mine. I got me a nice doe this past deer season from 230 yds with my tractor rifle.

Cold Eythel

Farmall Cub
I have always wanted an IHC M1, but my friends always try to talk me out of it saying that they were never the most reliable. My response is always :censored: you!!!! Its says IHC that makes it the coolest rife anyone could ever own I dont care about the reliability I wanna hang it up in the rear window of my truck! lol.

Great to see that there are others who appreciate a fine weapon made by one of the best companies to ever grace the U.S. :beer:

binderdan

Farmall Cub
I have had my IHC Garand for about 12 years and I love it! I can shoot the nuts off a mosquito with it.
A great piece of American history and IHC history all in one!

There is a "Ported Gas Plug" available that allows you to shoot modern commercial ammo with less risk of damage to the op-rod but I play it safe and either shoot surplus stuff or the new commercial M1 Garand specific ammo made my American Eagle(Federal) and PPU and Hornady. It has been decent ammo for me so far.

That's a nice rifle Bill! I hope you enjoy it! :beer:

Bill USN-1

Staff member
I received my new IH Garand coffee mugs to go with the rifles. I think they came out great.

I'm hoping someday when I actually retire, I can take my rifles and compete in some of the "as built" class of military shooting competitions.

As to the reliability......The M1 is revered as one of the best rifles used in combat. All manufacturers built the rifle to the same specs and all parts are interchangeable between all makes. So the design of the Garand is very dependable and all makes are equal. Saying a Garand is unreliable is like saying an IH is unreliable. It all comes down to who is taking care of it.

Here's a link to the ported plug and commercial ammo.

IMG_20150407_090815_640x442_.jpg

IMG_20150407_090923_1_640x460_.jpg

IMG_20150407_090955_1_640x475_.jpg

IMG_20150407_091059_640x480_.jpg

IMG_20150407_091604_640x472_.jpg

IMG_20150407_091708_640x479_.jpg

Last edited:

CoopVA

Binder Driver
Bump. Just got the email from CMP today and was excited for about a minute. Unfortunately, they aren't offering the service grade this time. From what I've read field grade can be in really poor condition.

I got that too. If I had $1000 to burn I might have, but then I thought... No.

Bill USN-1

Staff member
Yep, I really considered it if nothing more then to cull a couple IH parts off for my SG IH and then sell it on Gun broker for a profit like most others are doing.
But I have one for the Son and myself now and that's all I really wanted.
Kind of wished I would have went for the gap letter last time just to have something different.

IHC-fan

Farmall Cub