BinderPlanet.com

Welcome to BinderPlanet.com the World's Premier IH Website.

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cannister Oil Filter leak on a 1963 Scout

2021 Arizona International Harvester Rendezvous

Rogerhh

Farmall Cub
How do you keep the 1963 Scout Canister Oil Filter from leaking ... ?? When I order a filter I get a 1 narrow rubber gasket and 1 little wider rubber gasket with the filter.. they are essentially the same diameter.. I put both gaskets in but it leaks on three attempts ...

Last edited:

Dana Strong

Lives in an IH Dealership
Cannister Oil Filter leak on a 1942 Scout
How do you keep the 1942 Scout Canister Oil Filter from leaking ..

I once owned a 1961 Model 80 Scout that I understood was from the first year Scouts were made. Something about your question seems odd...

And I don't have a FSM or Parts book for the earlier Scouts, so couldn't look up the canister and related parts, even if I assumed you meant 1962, but would suggest your editing the title and text so that someone else might try to give a definitive answer. Pictures are always good for demonstrating exactly what you have (what is leaking where), but...
If I had to guess (my memory isn't good enough to recall such details from 50 years ago), I'd say there should be a gasket on top of the filter body sealing either the inlet or outlet hole where it seats against the base; perhaps a spring between the filter bottom and the canister, and a seal in a groove where the canister mouth mounts to the filter base. A copper washer-like seal under the holding-bolt's head, too?

Randall Barringer

Y-Block King
I´ve only used one gasket on my straight 6 in the Travelall and the 4 in the Scout 80.
Take off the canister, clean everything, and place the gasket which fits best into the channel of the canister base. One of them should fit better than the other.
This all will work better if you use a strong light to be able to see what you are doing.
Place the canister on the gasket and make sure it is centered all the way around.
Once it is good, tighten it down.
I understand your frustration. On my last oil change in the Travelall, it took me many attempts to get it right.

Rogerhh

Farmall Cub
Really really appreciate the response. Would a little grease to the o ring make it stay in place better? I don't have a lift.
Yeah... the 'ole slip of the digit..

stroker3

Lives in an IH Dealership
As Randall said, one gasket should fit better. It should stay put in the groove. Are you sure the old gasket is out? Might be worth a check. If you can't see, an awl will help by feel. It can be tough to hold everything in place perfectly as you're starting the bolt but one other thing that helps is to turn the canister back and forth slightly now and then as it being tightened and the canister starts to make contact with the housing. It helps to ensure that it's setting in the groove evenly.

George Womack

Y-Block King
As Randall said, one gasket should fit better. It should stay put in the groove. Are you sure the old gasket is out?

^This. If the old gasket has been in there a long time, it will be very hard and can look like it's part of the metal. And yes, only one gasket, the one that fits better.

Oh, and The Machine Shop is a sub-forum, and Anything Scout is the name of a business. Your posts will get more attention if posted in General IH Tech.

Last edited:

Rogerhh

Farmall Cub
Really appreciate the info. The little skinny one fits in the grove and that's the ticket. The fat gasket that is in the pack is just an option..