Brutus Build

Discussion in 'Binder Builds' started by SteelBuck, Nov 4, 2020.

1. SteelBuck

SteelBuck Farmall Cub

I posted a couple things prior to this but decided to do a build thread. Recently bought a 1963 Scout 80, all original from what I can tell at this point. My daughter named it Brutus so I decided to go with that. Just got the motor pulled yesterday. This is my first build, and really the first time I’ve done major work on a vehicle so it should be interesting. I attached some pics of the motor, standard 152. If you see anything that looks bad, feel free to let me know. I need all the help I can get diagnosing things and deciding what needs replaced. She ran when I got her, but sounded rough. The only thing I've done so far is rebuilt the Holley 1904 carb. Then I got to work on pulling the engine. Best part about it is my 15 year old son has started to show an interest in it so we will have some good times ahead working on it together. Thanks everyone.

62446913878__0FFA4DE4-4CF8-4564-B48B-F45A90480930.jpg IMG_4108.jpg IMG_4379.jpg IMG_4438.jpg

IMG_4454.jpg IMG_4450.jpg IMG_4448.jpg IMG_4447.jpg IMG_4445.jpg IMG_4444.jpg IMG_4443.jpg IMG_4441.jpg

Arkansas Dave, J.J. and 800bman like this.
  2. Randall Barringer

Randall Barringer Y-Block King

Welcome! Great looking Scout.
    This picture caught my attention. Not sure if you're aware or not, but all of those welds are not factory. Someone must have been having some clutch issues.
    [​IMG]

800bman and SteelBuck like this.
  3. SteelBuck

SteelBuck Farmall Cub

Thanks Randall. Yeah I saw the welds and figured something wasn’t quite right. I’m not sure what they were trying to fix, but it is something I’ll have to address. I know the PO said he replaced the slave clutch cylinder but I don’t what the welds are about. I’m sure it won’t be the only mystery!

4. mongocanfly

mongocanfly High Wheeler

Oh the horror..!!..somebody welded IH logo bolts..!!..haha
    Should make a great project.. your in the right place..lots to learn on here..
    20201104_192755.jpg

J.J., SteelBuck and 800bman like this.
  5. 800bman

800bman High Wheeler

I was thinking the same thing! Ruined some history there!
    Very nice starting block for a scout build here still!

Bryan Johnson and SteelBuck like this.
  6. J.J.

J.J. Lives in an IH Dealership

Congrats!!!!! Looks like a great start, and nothing better than getting your family involved!!

thats kinda sad. Hope Ed doesn't see it, since he was trying so hard to find some recently.

JJ in TN

SteelBuck likes this.
  7. SteelBuck

SteelBuck Farmall Cub

Well I finally got the motor pulled. Over all it went pretty smooth, especially for a first-timer. It was a great feeling when that thing started to raise up out of the engine compartment. I thought for sure I had missed a bolt or cable somewhere. Here are a few pictures I took during and after I started taking it apart. If you see anything of concern please let me know. I've been doing a lot of research but am still concerned about being able to pick out the things that need replaced, fixed, etc. Thanks everyone! IMG_4440.jpg IMG_4474.jpg IMG_4446.jpg IMG_4559.jpg IMG_4554.jpg IMG_4529.jpg IMG_4563.jpg IMG_4565.jpg

8. Randall Barringer

Randall Barringer Y-Block King

That rocker assembly looks pretty clean from here. That oil drain hole even looks clear.

SteelBuck likes this.
  9. SteelBuck

SteelBuck Farmall Cub

Just a quick note...I just received my Line Setting Ticket a few minutes ago. It looks like the motor may not be original? Not a big deal, just wondering if I am looking at the right number on the engine. The ticket shows engine number 92046. I attached a picture showing 863714 on the engine . Anything else in the ticket stand out or does it seem like a pretty standard Scout 80?
    IMG_4578.jpg IMG_4583.jpg IMG_4584.jpg

10. Gringo Gomez

Gringo Gomez Farmall Cub

I don't think 863714 is the engine serial number.
    It should be stamped into a machined "pad".
    I've never seen a 152 but according to IH service letter SLM74-12 regarding unit serial number locations it should be on the left side near where the coil is mounted.
    upload_2020-11-18_19-9-0.png

Attached Files:

SteelBuck likes this.
  11. oneof3k

oneof3k High Wheeler

Not quite close enough to the CO San Juan Mnts
    Gringo Gomez is correct; the engine serial number is located about 10 inches from the coil, between the engine mount and the lower radiator hose. Scrap off the dirt, oil, and paint (unlikely) and hope that the number matches with the number on page 2 of your LST.

IMG_5429.jpg

SteelBuck likes this.
  12. SteelBuck

SteelBuck Farmall Cub

It's been a while since I last posted but I made some progress. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction about the engine serial number. I was way off. I found it in the place you described covered by a half inch of dirt and crud. The engine is not the original, as it has a different serial number, but it is still the original model, standard 152. I have it torn all the way down now. I'll post some pictures of the progress later today.

jeff campbell likes this.
  13. SteelBuck

SteelBuck Farmall Cub

Here are some pics of the progress on the engine. It's going slow but with this being my first time I that is to be expected. I ran into an issue with some of the parts in the motor...I have the service manual and parts catalog for the Scout, but I'm finding that some parts in the motor are not listed in the catalog. Just an example, main bearings have a part number stamped on them, along with the IH logo, but the part number is not listed in the catalog. The number will be close, like the stamped number is 812 544 and the number in the book is 812 538. However the 812 544 is not listed in the index or the diagram of the engine in the parts manual. Not a big deal, just curious what the reason is. I'm thinking this was rebuilt in the past, but where did the parts come from that they used if they are not listed in the manual?

If anyone out there minds giving there opinion on a couple things, I would greatly appreciate it. I plan on replacing all bearings, main and cam, lifters, freeze plugs, valve guides (just to be safe), all gaskets, and probably some other things that I can't think of right now.

-Do you think I'll be ok keeping the springs, rods and valves? They seem to be in decent shape, I posted pics of the valves. The rods roll true and are not bent. I haven't measured the springs.
    -The PO installed umbrella seals on the valve stems and also has the regular O-ring seals. Should I stick with the umbrellas, O-ring or both? I've read some conflicting info, so just wondering what peoples experience has been with them.
    -I think I made my first major screw-up. Pretty sure damaged my cam when I was trying to remove the gear. I could not get the damn thing to budge, and instead of walking away and coming back to it later, I tried to improvise with the wrong tools and brut force. Lesson learned, I'll own it. I posted a pic of the damaged area and circled it in yellow. Looks cracked to me...is there any chance of salvaging this cam or should I mortgage the house and start shopping for a used one (haha).

So far this has been a great learning experience. My son has been helping which is awesome, and my 12 year old daughter wanders into the garage and tinkers around every once in a while too. We even threw some Christmas lights on the Scout.

Thanks for taking the time to read...any suggestions, criticisms and advice would be appreciated. Have a great day!

IMG_4599.jpg IMG_4668.jpg IMG_4674.jpg IMG_4614.jpg IMG_4803.jpg IMG_4831.jpg IMG_4861.jpg IMG_4880.jpg IMG_4935.jpg IMG_4940.jpg IMG_4922.jpg IMG_4952.jpg

14. winchested

winchested Dreams of Cub Cadets

Stick with the umbrella seals only. As to the cam... Um I don't know it's def cracked. And the woodruff key could easily come out and time be lost. But with the clamp bolt in place, I doubt it would come out. That's hard to say. We were just talking in another post about 4 cyl cams being unobtanium new.

SteelBuck likes this.
  15. Perdido

Perdido Farmall Cub

I hate to say it, but that cam looks cracked to me. A lot of us 4 cylinder British car guys have had great luck with Delta Cams for repairs and regrinds/custom grinds and I bet they can help. https://www.deltacam.com/camshaft-grinding/
    Perdido

SteelBuck likes this.
  16. mongocanfly

mongocanfly High Wheeler

Yeah...that looks cracked..

17. Alex

Alex Farmall Cub

Your cam is probably gone.
    If you look around, there seems to be a lot of 152's that are quickly discarded in favor of more powerful mills. Maybe you could find one of those engines for a decent price? Two into one?
    I would stick with umbrella seals. I've never seen both umbrellas and O rings on the same head. How does that work?
    I love the fact that your kids are jumping in a bit. Now, if only you can convince them that grease washes off...

18. SteelBuck

SteelBuck Farmall Cub

Hey all. Been a while but I've been plugging away at this thing. Had to take some time off when my family got hit with damn Covid. I attached a couple pics of the head after I cleaned it up and replaced the valve guides. I got a question about replacement valve springs that I'm hoping someone can help me with. For some reason I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around it (along with many other things!). If there is a level below newbie/rookie, that is what I am when it comes to motors. Anyways, I sent my cam to Cam Craft to have it cleaned up. They were able to fix the problems listed in my earlier post. They put a performance grind on it, but now it changed the spring pressure recommendations and I can't seem to find a set. I called Cam Craft and they said they don't really deal with valve springs anymore and couldn't recommend a set. They also said I could probably get away with stock springs and be OK. I've searched for a set that matches the pressure recommendations, but if I find some that are close, some other spec is off (like ID, OD, ect.). Can someone point me in the right direction as far as a good replacement set that would work, or at least some info on what specs I HAVE to meet, and what specs I have some wiggle room on. The specs in the book say "free length" 2.065, "test length" 1.429, and pressure at test length is 188.1 (lbs). Thanks for any advice you can give on this. I also attached a pic of the spec sheet from Cam Craft.
    IMG_5166.jpg IMG_5167.jpg IMG_5169.jpg IMG_5207.jpg

scout2000 likes this.
  19. 'Mater

'Mater Binder Driver

Chevy 454 valve springs will fit. They are quite a bit stiffer than stock. Makes it harder to turn over but allows for higher engine RPM before the valves “float.”

should be perfect for your hot rod 152 ha ha ha

SteelBuck likes this.
  20. SteelBuck

SteelBuck Farmall Cub

Haha. At least I won’t have to worry about getting any speeding tickets! Thanks for the response!