BinderPlanet.com

Welcome to BinderPlanet.com the World's Premier IH Website.

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bigger tires and front spring clearance

Friends of BinderPlanet Facebook Group

TravelerMan79

Binder Driver
I just noticed while moving my Traveler frame into its temporary resting space that when the front tires are turned to the end of travel they are very close to the springs. These are 215 or 225/75R15 tires, so what is up with getting larger tires to clear the springs? I can’t imagine it is to readjust the stop or is it? Feel like I’m missing something as my Lexus has coil springs and my 35s clear everything so I’m lucky.
A pic of the clearance, but this isn’t at full travel but should give an idea of what I’m talking about.

ABC3FAC8-027D-4068-A0BA-9D282FD05D2A.jpeg

winchested

Dreams of Cub Cadets
Those are nowhere near the springs. I'm running 35 12.5s with essentially 2.5" of back space because I've got 4" back space wheels but added 1.5" adapters.

And yes it's as easy as adjusting the knuckle stops to keeps the tires out of the springs.

After my first couple wheeling trips I realized my side lugs were into the springs when turning at lock and flexed out.

TravelerMan79

Binder Driver
Yeah, I couldn’t turn the tires in closer to the springs because it’s now on grass, but at full travel, there couldn’t have been more than 1.5” between sidewall and spring. Forgot about back spacing which is probably a must. Geeze, I thought I would just mount 33” tires on the stk rims.

winchested

Dreams of Cub Cadets
Yeah, I couldn’t turn the tires in closer to the springs because it’s now on grass, but at full travel, there couldn’t have been more than 1.5” between sidewall and spring. Forgot about back spacing which is probably a must. Geeze, I thought I would just mount 33” tires on the stk rims.
I'm sure you'd get away with that. I originally had 32s 11.5s on 4" back space with no spacers and it was still fine, but had to clearance the brake calipers for the 4" BS.

Patrick Morris

Lives in an IH Dealership
1.5" is as good as a mile. I've been using 32-11.5 tires on stock-ish rims (might have 3.75" BS). No issues at all. When I went up to 32 from 31 tires it was just a matter of turning out the limiter bolts on both the R and L sides. I think I set my tires to clear the springs by about .5" to .75".

It's very easily done if you raise the front axle on jack stands. Then you can push the front wheels from lock to lock, by hand. Just have to put the key in the ignition and unlock the column.

TravelerMan79

Binder Driver
Haha! Was wondering if anyone would notice. Local garage gave it to me. Initially they had no 15” tires out back, but the next day they called me and said they got a trailer tire.

TravelerMan79

Binder Driver
You do what you gotta do, just surprised me at how close a stk tire was to the springs. I could see more problems if you off-road, and air down. Not uncommon for us to airdown to 18 psi. I’m wondering if SOA setup might help. I’m definitely going to reverse shackle for better ride quality, but still on the fence with a SOA. We’ll see. Some of welds I see on the frame for suspension and other bits really makes me wonder about the quality/strength. I think I even saw part of a welding wire stuck to the frame at the front cross member. Lol!

winchested

Dreams of Cub Cadets
You do what you gotta do, just surprised me at how close a stk tire was to the springs. I could see more problems if you off-road, and air down. Not uncommon for us to airdown to 18 psi. I’m wondering if SOA setup might help. I’m definitely going to reverse shackle for better ride quality, but still on the fence with a SOA. We’ll see. Some of welds I see on the frame for suspension and other bits really makes me wonder about the quality/strength. I think I even saw part of a welding wire stuck to the frame at the front cross member. Lol!
They just mig'd it together at the factory, plenty of questionable spots on my frame too. I cleaned it all up re welded a ton of spots and beefed all the suspension and body mounts up with triangle gussets.

I wheel 35s at 10 psi...

TravelerMan79

Binder Driver
Ok. Good to know that I’m not alone. Will probably do same to some spots on frame. Haha, I’ve aired down to 10-12 psi just a few times. I’m sure the Toyo’s would be fine, but always worried about popping a bead at those pressures. Ok on soft stuff, but on big rocks, hmmm...

Patrick Morris

You do what you gotta do, just surprised me at how close a stk tire was to the springs. I could see more problems if you off-road, and air down. Not uncommon for us to airdown to 18 psi. I’m wondering if SOA setup might help. I’m definitely going to reverse shackle for better ride quality, but still on the fence with a SOA.
The stock Scouts had a pretty tight turning circle for sure. Not as tight as an early Bronco (coils up front), but pretty darned tight. I wouldn't worry about airing down. It only widens the tires at the bottom. Shouldn't affect tire width at 3 and 9 o'clock. I mentioned how tight my tire clearance is at the springs, and I sometimes air down to 15 psi.

Honestly, you will get used to that very slight increase in turning circle quickly and never think about it again. I still consider my Scout to be pretty nimble. And if you want a better ride, first invest in good shocks. That is a much easier project than re-engineering the whole suspension system, IMHO.

TravelerMan79

Binder Driver
Having never really driven my Traveler other than down the seller’s country driveway with no brakes, I have no idea about the handling characteristics, but I’m really looking forward to see how she handles both on and off-road. Being 18” longer than the shorter Scout, I’m sure I would not want to impact the turning circle if I didn’t have to. Good to know airing down won’t affect clearance. I’m pretty set on 33” so we’ll see what needs to be done to fit them.

Patrick Morris

I’m pretty set on 33” so we’ll see what needs to be done to fit them.
What @72soa said. If you want to run 33s AND want to off-road, you will need a lot of clearance to avoid rubbing those bigger tires against sheet metal. Rubbing on the front springs will be the least of your concerns.

TravelerMan79

Binder Driver
Haha! I guess I was spoiled with the Lexus. All I needed was a 2.5" lift and a 1" body lift to clear my 35s. 31s were stk on the Lexus though. Looking at SOA swaps it seems it can get spendy on the high steer kits if you decide to purchase vs fabricate. Really leaning towards the SOA though, but I'll need to work about that later. I will fab up my own reverse shackle parts though, and make that mod myself.

Patrick Morris

When people say Lexus, this is what I picture. LOL To me this is what Lexus builds (or built, in the case of this example). I guess they started rebadging and luxing out the Land Cruisers at one point though. Then the TLCs just disappeared from the USA.

On the Scout IIs, yep, back in 1970-ish, they were not designed with big tires in mind. The rear wheel wells are especially confining. They require a bit of surgery to allow for larger tires, unless you go WAY up in lift. Like with SOA.

1618851107058.png

TravelerMan79

Binder Driver
Haha! Yeah, Toyota stopped selling LCs’ in Canada in the late eighties, and then in 96 Lexus introduced the LX450 in US and Canada, but it was just a rebadged 80 Series LC. I think all the LX450s’ sold in Canada came with the “majic dial” (front and rear diff locks). In 98 they introduced the LX470, but gone was the solid front axle.
My trail beaten LX with newly installed rear tire carrier. Dropped the rear end about 1” with all that weight.
E4CF401C-4BC6-4992-9B8B-B54A4E235917.jpeg

5BAF55AC-F0EB-4003-B9C6-C436712B1C89.jpeg

Patrick Morris

It just blows my mind that they don't sell Land Cruisers (real ones) in the US/Canada. I bet they'd sell like crazy. Check out what can still be had in Australia. Screw Jeep, I be driving one of these: