BinderPlanet.com

Welcome to BinderPlanet.com the World's Premier IH Website.

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

"best year"?

Ruffian

Farmall Cub
among VW nuts, 1967 is considered the best year for a number of reasons that I don't need to go into here. Is there a "Best Year" for Scout II and why?

on another note, I tried to go to the Binder e-zine and got this:

<<Ruffian, you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

Your user account may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. >>

Drew (wishing for a '76 Centennial :D )

MUDDAWG

Equal Opportunity Offender
yep the binder news letter is a perk of being a supporting member
and lots of great info and writeups

id say 1980 because of the factory castor in the front axle
and the only year with a dana 300 transfer case

but the early 70s sheetmetal was better

mike

G. Knight

Farmall Cub
1976 I think was the first year that came with the 4 barrel option on its v8, that would be kinda special. I'm kinda partial to my 75 ..... cause its mine.

There all pretty close to the same with minor changes.

Greg

Ruffian

Farmall Cub
MUDDAWG said:
yep the binder news letter is a perk of being a supporting member
and lots of great info and writeups

hey- since when did I go from a supporting member to a Registered User? :eek:

nobody told me :confused: :mad:

MUDDAWG

Equal Opportunity Offender
its $20 every year
looks like ya been here since 05 so it probably expired in 06

if your supposed to be still a supporting member try posting on the feedback forum
or "i.m." john donnelly for the skinny of your status

mike

mspgs2

Farmall Cub
G. Knight said:
1976 I think was the first year that came with the 4 barrel option on its v8, that would be kinda special. I'm kinda partial to my 75 ..... cause its mine.

There all pretty close to the same with minor changes.

Greg

i've got a 75 but i prefer the older 73 and 74 grill.

apart from that I tend to agree that the 80 was probably the "best". Axle's aside didn't they also get rust resistant sheet metal?

Next is the 76 Patriot Scout, even though it seems not much more than a color scheme.

One other thing i've wondered. Did IH change ANYTHING other than the grills from year to year? (SSII's not considered)

jasonm658

Farmall Cub
mspgs2 said:
i've got a 75 but i prefer the older 73 and 74 grill.

apart from that I tend to agree that the 80 was probably the "best". Axle's aside didn't they also get rust resistant sheet metal?

Next is the 76 Patriot Scout, even though it seems not much more than a color scheme.

One other thing i've wondered. Did IH change ANYTHING other than the grills from year to year? (SSII's not considered)
i dont know much about internationals, but i can guarantee '69 travallalls did not have rust resistant sheet metal. there are places on mine that it looks like a spitwad would bust thru. its still my favorite one tho! also my only one :rolleyes:

CCCTrumpet

Farmall Cub
Best year?

Mid-'60s larger trucks.

Harvester was in its Zenith. Design, production and sales were good. By the '70s labor issues were taking their toll, the recession had impacted the economy, the gas shortage cut sales and the cost-cutting measures were in full force. Compare any '70s model to a '60s model; you'll see what I mean. I feel that the larger the truck, the better it was made.

Read the book, A Corporate Tragedy: The Agony of International Harvester Company by Barbara Marsh

http://www.amazon.com/Corporate-Tragedy-International-Harvester-Company/dp/0385192096

It is a telling tale of the rise and fall of IHC.

Curt

ScoutmanSV

Y-Block King

No CAT, 1st year of the higher GVWR/HD springs (XLC), disc D44 front axles, 2 1/4" wide brakes on D44 rear axles, no CAT, no AIS on 304's (Fed), no smog inspection required anymore (Cali), round headlights, no CAT. ;)

:cool:

PS: Did I mention > no CAT? :p

Carl Wiese

Staff member
Easy 1980, for three reasons.

Turbo Diesel, Dana 300 and Caster. You can't beat the combo.

Dave Nuenke

High Wheeler
I think it depends on the exact model as well as what you are looking for, and where you live. For Scout II's 1980 had the D300, caster in the front axle, and the turbo diesel. '80's were also saddled with tons of emissions stuff which is a concern for some folks depending on where you live. Pickups are foggier yet. I personally like the styling and body design on the 60's fullsizes to the 70's rigs. I've also found the build quality to be higher, some of the stuff that IH did in the 50's and 60's is really amasing. The 70's trucks recieved a bunch of great driveline improvements though, and the more modern cab suits many folks much better for daily driver use. Personally, I have a little bit of everything, but have been gravitating more towards the older trucks the past few years. Most of my stuff has also seen some to a ton of mix and match, either becasue that's what I had on hand, or that's what I wanted.

Dave

Erik VanRenselaar

Y-Block King
ScoutmanSV said:

No CAT, 1st year of the higher GVWR/HD springs (XLC), disc D44 front axles, 2 1/4" wide brakes on D44 rear axles, no CAT, no AIS on 304's (Fed), no smog inspection required anymore (Cali), round headlights, no CAT. ;)

:cool:

PS: Did I mention > no CAT? :p

I take it that you hate *cats*, Kev?

Erik VanRenselaar

Y-Block King
IIRC, '79 was the first year for a stock 4-bbl carb (Carter ThermoQuad) on a Scout II. It was also the first year for a catalytic converter.

'74 was the first year for front disc brakes. IIRC, some '74s had front disc Dana 30 axles, the rest had Dana 44s. From '75-on, they all had front disc Dana 44 axles.

Some years did not have the 196 4-cyl engine as an option, and the earlier years ('71 to '74) had the AMC-built inline-6 as a base engine.

'77 was the first year for the SSII, and '79 was the last year for the SSII.

The diesel was first offered in '76. It became a turbo-ed engine in '80.

The longer Traveler and Terra models came out in '76.

Numerous trim/appearance packages were offered during the production run of the Scout II.

1980 was the only year for the Dana 300 transfer case. Other years used a Dana 20 or a single speed chain-drive transfer case.

So, it really is a personal choice as to what is the *best year* for a Scout II.
It depends on what *you* want in/on your Scout II...

Mike DQ

Farmall Cub
I like the '78 - better wiring and distributor than previous, last year of dual exhaust and before the cat. converter.

binderbound

High Wheeler
Carl Wiese said:
Easy 1980, for three reasons.

Turbo Diesel, Dana 300 and Caster. You can't beat the combo.

X2

Carl has that scout and I hate him for it :p

If I were to go back in time and order a scout from the dealer it would be a 1980 diesel scout II(not traveler or terra), T19 wide/D300, 4.10 gears, base model interior/trim. Out of the box wheeling machine!

Erik VanRenselaar

Y-Block King
binderbound said:
X2

Carl has that scout and I hate him for it :p

If I were to go back in time and order a scout from the dealer it would be a 1980 diesel scout II(not traveler or terra), T19 wide/D300, 4.10 gears, base model interior/trim. Out of the box wheeling machine!

I've heard that the close-range T19 trans is better for the diesel and its limited rpm range. The 4.10 axle gears probably wouldn't be too good for highway cruising.

Carl Wiese

Staff member
Erik VanRenselaar said:
I've heard that the close-range T19 trans is better for the diesel and its limited rpm range. The 4.10 axle gears probably wouldn't be too good for highway cruising.

You can make do and with 4.10's you could probably get off just fine in second. Did you read, it's an out of the box "WHEELING MACHINE"!! :D :eek: :D Besides the wheeler he has now only does 45, so the 60 he'd get out of the diesel would be scary fast.

scoutman800

Y-Block King
as to my knowledge, the 1980 has the caster, but don't assume a dana 300 and also has no firewall plug with the wiring. you can always rewire any scout (did mine) and a pertronix unit (also in mine) can upgrade the ignition. i would look for specifics that you want such as a certain grille (they can be swapped out too)or whatever and go accordingly. one thing i'd lean towards if you are not going to keep it a bone stock daily driver is to look for a "newer" model with 44s at both ends and disc brakes. BUT. those can be swapped in too. lots of info in the FAQ sections. best year is mostly opinion (in MY opinion). :rolleyes:

fredsterra

Y-Block King
Exept for the steel being crap I like the 78. Last year before the cat. and all the smog stuff. But the 80 was nice with caster and Finaly put a turbo on the diesel! If they would have put the turbo on from the start or made a 400 diesel out of the 392 like they made the 6.9 out of the MV446 they would have been KING! :D

My Dad had ordered a 76 Traveler Diesel automatic and it could not even get out of it's own way! :eek: