BinderPlanet.com

Welcome to BinderPlanet.com the World's Premier IH Website.

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Best Vendor for Scout 2 Steel Gas Tank: Need Old Thread Link or Suggestions Here

Binder TV

GrlSctII

Farmall Cub
Looking for suggestions on steel tank for ‘75 Scout II. Haven’t found an existing thread after a brief search. If someone has a link can you post here?

Purchased a 19 gallon (should’ve gone 33) poly tank from TRex Auto Parts in October. Could never fill up without stop start or filling the tank up all the way without gas spitting back out. Figured it was the angle of the dangle and new nozzle fun. Recently, it’s been dumping gas out at the tank. 1. Tank was empty both times. 2. Smoke test and it’s at the seal and tank. Can’t go any tighter without cracking the tank.

Any suggestion? I just want to leave the station with a full tank and without it taking a half hour or leaving $12 on the asphalt.

Attachments

• 43E2FA4D-3B9D-4693-A003-C817FEACFDC9.jpeg
    43E2FA4D-3B9D-4693-A003-C817FEACFDC9.jpeg
    3.7 MB · Views: 44

William1275

Farmall Cub
33 gal steel tanks are not made anymore.
Only options are to find an old one, find a fab shop to make you one or contact Binder Boneyard about his 33 gal aluminum tanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

winchested

Dreams of Cub Cadets
Anything scout offers a 30 or 31 gal tank.

Ihpartsamerica.com also does have brand new steel 33 gallon tanks. $560

I just sealed up my 19 gal poly tank and it works 100% fine now, permatex aviation on the gasket for sender.

1/2" fuel line for the vent, brand new Tanks Inc. Filler hose.

No leaks.

However doesn't hold 19 gal closer to 18.

Due to the 1.5" fuel fill nozzle and putting a 3/4" fuel nozzle in it you're not going to fill it without paying attn and stopping it when you hear the fuel coming up the filler neck.

It just cannot create enough back pressure to stop the fuel nozzle quick enough.

NorOntSCout

Farmall Cub
Sunset Metal Fab
Doesn't list prices, but offers 33 gal metal tanks.
Don't know about them, just one of the links that comes up on a search

winchested

Dreams of Cub Cadets
Anything scout has a 30 gal option I believe. Shows theirs as sold out too. and also $770.

(2) 5 gal Scepter military fuel cans cost me $30 at costco...

Looked at all other vendors and no one shows any stock for 33 gal tanks.

Last edited:

Dreamingofbinding

Farmall Cub
Anything scout has a 30 gal option I believe. Shows theirs as sold out too. and also $770.

(2) 5 gal Scepter military fuel cans cost me $30 at costco...

Looked at all other vendors and no one shows any stock for 33 gal tanks.

Shoot, that’s what I’m seeing too. I guess I’ll install the poly 19 gallon and hope for the best

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

winchested

Dreams of Cub Cadets
Shoot, that’s what I’m seeing too. I guess I’ll install the poly 19 gallon and hope for the best

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Just seal the sender with Permatex aviation on both sides of rubber or cork gasket and on the threads of screws and you should be fine.

Michael1971

Farmall Cub
When I put my poly tank in the first time I had the same problem. The gasket I got with mine was more of a rubber band, similar to the ones I use to bag minnows at work, than it was any kind of real gasket. I had the same problem as you, leaked terribly when installed, I replaced my factory steel tank that I could only fill the 3/4, with a new one that I could only fill to half. On the second try I covered everything in black permatex, including the self tapping screws they use to install the sending unit. After that it worked, and filled perfectly.