"Approved rim width" question

Discussion in 'General IH Tech' started by Patrick Morris, Nov 26, 2013.

1. Patrick Morris

Patrick Morris Lives in an IH Dealership

Just wondering, does anyone happen to know if this is some kind of 'law' that tire shops won't violate, or tend not to? The reason I am asking is that I am looking into going up to 32x11.5 tires and putting them on my 7" wide rims. I know this combo will work fine---my buddy's been running 33x12.5 tires on his 7" rims for many years and they work great on his Scout II, highway and aired down for off-roading.

FWIW, I believe the min "recommended rim width" for 32x11.5x15 tires is 8".

Guess I'm kind of asking, if I get a set of 32x11.5 tires online and show up at the local tire shop, is there any likelihood of them saying "Whoa, no way man."

I know that some of you guys are in the business. What do you think?

2. scoutpappa

scoutpappa Farmall Cub

Here in TX the big national chains (Discount, etc.) won't mount a 10.50 on a 7" rim. They claim liability issues. It's getting harder and harder to change tire sizes with the big chains. Another reason to support your small local businesses.

3. blue smoke

blue smoke High Wheeler

here is no "LAW" but there are liability issues. While it can be done the question becomes should it be done.

The tire manufacturers have there own standard widths. The problem for the tire shops is if the tire manufacturer get wind of the shop violating their recommendations (thru a claim on a tire under warranty) they could lose that brand.

There are certain shop that will only mount tires that the vehicle calls for on the data plate on the car/truck. So you could hear ...Whoa, no way man."

4. Eric VanBuren

Eric VanBuren Lives in an IH Dealership

Half the guys at most tire shops won't even pay attention to what the width of your wheels are. If you are really concerned find some ricer who's car is "hella flush" and ask him where he got his tires mounted. Fitting a 8" tire on a 10" rim is unsafe but there seem to be shops that do it so that the car can be "stanced".

Putting a tire on a rim that is narrower than recommended can cause the tire to wear unusually but it isn't unsafe like putting a tire on a much wider than recommended rim.

5. Patrick Morris

Thanks guys. And thanks Eric! That's a good idea. I'll practice my lingo:

"I say there my good man. Your tires do seem to be quite hella flush. Could you point me in the direction of where a fellow might find an establishment agreeable to the installation of such mismatched tires and wheels? I would like very much to procure their services."

That new fad really cracks me up. I took the pic below about six months ago. Some small Lexus or whatever.

I'll ask my local Big-O first. See what they say. Then maybe a smaller shop if Big-O is too chicken. Worst case scenario, I can just install the new tires with new valves myself and have a shop balance them. Kind of a pain going that route, but it would be slightly cheaper.... except for getting rid of my old tires.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 26, 2013
  6. Comanche Scott

Comanche Scott High Wheeler

ROFLOL! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
    You may have to borrow an old Land Rover to pull that one off, and video is a must! :rockon:

7. TBAKPhi22

TBAKPhi22 Binder Driver

I HATE seeing those stupid tires and rims. I guess they want to scrape the crap out of their rims! I had my 11.00-16 tires installed on my stock '67 rims no problem (at a place that does car/truck tires) I think the 11.00-16 tires are meant to be mounted on 7-9 inch rims? Definitely not on 5.5" rims (but they have done just fine for 6 years)

8. Scavenger Scout

Scavenger Scout Binder Driver

If you're buying the tires from the mounting shop, will probably void any type of warranty.

If you're bringing in loose tires, 95% of places will mount them. But for example, my local tires plus won't mount any tire that's not purchased there, so your rim width would be a moot point :)

Functionally the only worry is if you ever approach the load rating with towing/hauling. That's when the scrunched beads are going to shorten tire life.

good luck

9. Patrick Morris

Thanks. For the last several sets of tires on both my vehicles bought them from TireRack.com and had a local Big-0 install them. For my Scout's tires they charged about $25 per to mount, balance, revalve, and dispose of the old tires.

I like buying through tirerack, but I'll have to go elsewhere this time if I get Coopers. Tirerack doesn't sell that brand.

BTW, I'm kicking myself for not doing this purchase a few months ago. A new law just went into effect for CA, and now we have to pay sales tax even for out of state purchases.

10. Scavenger Scout

Scavenger Scout Binder Driver

I've read some interesting stories about Big O suing all sorts of businesses that use Big or O in their name. The most high profile cases were when they were pro stock competitors, sued Motown over Big M heads. Later, Overstock.com. It makes for an interesting google search. I care enough about corporate ethics my money doesn't go there anymore. Not trying to poop on your local guys, they're probably super and are far removed from the corporate situation.

good luck with the scout!