Any interest in reproduction dash pads for your Scout 800?

Discussion in 'General IH Tech' started by Buckeye, Mar 10, 2017.

1. Buckeye

Buckeye Farmall Cub

Hello All,
    I am in the process of restoring my Scout 800 aristocrat. My dash pad is nearly perfect with one decent sized crack. I have decided that I might not be able to settle with the crack and may need a flawless dash pad for my restoration. Because of this, I have found someone with the ability to reproduce the dash pad to factory specs. As you can imagine, producing 1 dash pad would be rather expensive, but increasing the volume could help bring the costs down. So, I thought I would put out a feeler to see if there is much of an interest out there for a reproduction dash pad for the 800's. Is a factory dash pad something you would like add to your Scout? Your feedback is much appreciated.

Thanks!
    Buckeye

2. gillis51

gillis51 Binder Driver

sure, let me know if this come together i would be interested in one

3. bull

bull Binder Driver

Look at just dashes..probably be cheaper to have them repair...we just had thread on dash repair service here..not cheap but fantastic job

4. BigRigg

BigRigg Y-Block King

I would be interested. The best place to ask this question is directly to the light line vendors. Given the shortage of 80/800 aftermarket items, they might be willing to stock their shelves..

5. Royce Stephens

Royce Stephens Binder Driver

I'm in. Can't find a decent one anywhere.

6. Phil B

Phil B Farmall Cub

I am interested as well. Justdashes.com quoted me $600. That is way more that I am going to spend on that small of a pad. What kind of price point do you think we can get?

7. ihscoutmatt

ihscoutmatt High Wheeler

I'll take one too

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

8. Buckeye

Buckeye Farmall Cub

Hello All,

Thank you for the feedback. Bull: I realize that I could have my current dash repaired but I thought it may be work spending the extra money to try to come up with a solution that could help other Scout owners who do not have a dash pad.
    Phil: $600 seems like a ripoff to me. I found a used pad on Ebay for $400 so that tells me that even $400 is too expensive (because it hasn't sold)
    It seems like with even the few of you who have responded to this thread, this may be a project worth pursuing. The biggest expense to proceed with the project will be in having the moulds made. Do you think if I could get them produced for @ the $250.00 range that makes them affordable enough? Another thought/question I have is the factory pad has/had metal clips across the top that insert into the slots on the metal dash, then the rest of the pad is glued to the metal. I see no reason in recreating the metal tabs when a urethane foam pad would glue onto the metal dash just fine without the tabs. Thoughts/suggestions? I suppose the metal tab feature could be recreated with these new pads, but it would add to the cost of the finished pad. Do you think people would care?

Thanks!

Buckeye

9. BajaIH

BajaIH Farmall Cub

Count me in.

10. jtorre4272

jtorre4272 High Wheeler

Hey Buckeye,

With labor rates these days, I don't know how you are going to be able to have your contact produce a reproduction dash to look like factory original for less than either a nice used pad or one from JustDashes.

Unless the gentleman is working for $10/hr and still wants to turn a profit, I'm skeptical. I could be wrong, but since Justdashes has been in the business for a while, I think if this route was cheaper than remanufacturing an existing dash they would have done it by now. Of course, Justdashes produces A+ quality. Perhaps if the general appearance expectations were reduced somewhat, the cost could go down. Tooling bills are always a factor, and if you amortize the cost of the equipment into the demanded annual volume (likely modest at best), you'd probably find that each person ordering a dash would be paying a small chunk of change just in that piece alone.

I am by no means advertising people use JustDashes. It's just that as an engineer myself, $600 was a fair price considering the labor and effort required to get the dash to look exactly like original, even down to the satin-style finish and graining.

either way, best of luck. I am sure you have several people hoping things work out. Please show me I am wrong!

11. Phil B

Phil B Farmall Cub

20170403_074953.jpg This thread got my gears turning and I decided to do it myself. I stuck the pics of my dash together with silicone caulking and recovered it in marine vinyl.

Attached Files:

BajaIH likes this.
  12. BajaIH

BajaIH Farmall Cub

Looks very nice....

Phil B likes this.
  13. dustin howarth

dustin howarth Farmall Cub

3 years later ... Did this reproduction 80/800 dash pad project ever happen? Mine isn’t terrible, but I could treat my scout if reproductions were available.

Thanks!

14. steve bridge

steve bridge Binder Driver

Last time I looked into something like this, it was a Boat Bra I wanted to make and sell. A plastic triangle with hinges on the edges that would fit to themselves to make a shield for my boat when I am going down gravel roads. They said the mold would be $20K, and each triangle piece would be $5.
    $20 K plus would be a big nut, but how many 800's have a great dash? Lot of customers out there. The challenge would be getting the colors right. At his $250, I might go for it when most everything else is done and the Dash is looking crappy.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2020
  15. Don B

Don B Binder Driver

I don’t have any dash pad but could you not make a splash form off a existing dash then use it for the base of a pad? You could then fill the base of the splash with foam, carve to shape and then cover with leather. There is a guy with wild leather skills who shows how to cover dashes (and other things) with leather called cecchi, he’s on YouTube ...great stuff. I’d like a pad but the old ones are wrecked anyway and $$$.

Don B