BinderPlanet.com

Welcome to BinderPlanet.com the World's Premier IH Website.

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

almost new owner with some questions

1970IH800a

Farmall Cub
Well I finally pulled the trigger on my first scout,a 1970 Pickup,basically stock. PO states he thinks its a 345 V8, but after some research I believe the 800 a only came with a 304? The vehicle has some rust ,drivers floor,in the bed,panels bneath the doors, and some bubbling etc... I plan on getting the replacement weld in panels,whats the best method? cut out the old rust,apply an inhibitior(like POR-15) then either undercoat or rhinoline?
Suspension questions,I will need to replace the tires,Im not going to be doing any off roading(mabey some beach driving) whats the largest tire size I can go with without rubbing issues? (30",31"?)
The cap i understand is removable ,can I put a cap from another model on to cover the bed?
I plan on doing a small amount towing,where can I get a hitch or bumper,class III? I located a very nice custom bumper with an integrated reciever, but it was built for an 80/800, will it mount up without modification?
The motor runs,but has a small fuel leak at the pump,whats the best place to source a replacement pump?Tune up parts?
Im sure Ill have tons of questions once I get into the vehicle.
Thanks,
Jerry

1970IH800a

Farmall Cub
Oh ,I would also like to replace the wheels/rims,I believe the bolt pattern is 5x5.5? But what type offset or backspacing?
thanks again

scoutboy74

Lives in an IH Dealership
Congrats and welcome. You're correct about the 304 with a caveat. In true ORIGINAL form, the 304 was the only V8 option for a 1970 S800. That was over 40 years ago. Engine swaps are known to be done on these vehicles with impunity. So don't rule out the possibility that a 345 was swapped in at some point in the past until you positively ID what you have. Understandably you have many questions, nearly all of which have been asked and answered numerous times over the years on this forum. The search function will be your best friend allowing you to self-educate on a wide variety of topics pertinent to your ride. With that said, I'll briefly address a couple items and get out of your way so you can do the rest.

Consumable tuneup parts are readily available from most any respectable auto parts store. Same goes for the fuel pump if its shot.

30's should work well for your intended use. Narrow is better. Might even be okay with 31's if you don't articulate the suspension much and the stock springs still have some arch to them.

Wheel lug pattern is as you say. The choices are almost limitless. The same wheels fit Scout II's, mid 90's and older Ford Bronco/F-150, and older Heeps. Just get some 7 or 8 inchers and the standard offset will be fine.

Good luck and have fun!:punk:

250gibson

Binder Driver
Well I finally pulled the trigger on my first scout,a 1970 Pickup,basically stock. PO states he thinks its a 345 V8, but after some research I believe the 800 a only came with a 304? The vehicle has some rust ,drivers floor,in the bed,panels bneath the doors, and some bubbling etc... I plan on getting the replacement weld in panels,whats the best method? cut out the old rust,apply an inhibitior(like POR-15) then either undercoat or rhinoline?
Suspension questions,I will need to replace the tires,Im not going to be doing any off roading(mabey some beach driving) whats the largest tire size I can go with without rubbing issues? (30",31"?)
The cap i understand is removable ,can I put a cap from another model on to cover the bed?
I plan on doing a small amount towing,where can I get a hitch or bumper,class III? I located a very nice custom bumper with an integrated reciever, but it was built for an 80/800, will it mount up without modification?
The motor runs,but has a small fuel leak at the pump,whats the best place to source a replacement pump?Tune up parts?
Im sure Ill have tons of questions once I get into the vehicle.
Thanks,
Jerry

The engine if equiped originally with a V8 would have been a 304 in 1970, However it could have been swapped out. Look at the boss located above the fuel pump. The displacement is stamped there.

There are a lot of sheet metal patches available for the 800 series, and whatever is not available can be fabbed from 16ga sheet metal. Most of the "inner" metal is flat.

The cab top is removable, and a travel top ie: full top from any 800 and most 80s will fit (early 80s mounted different up on the windshield frame). There may be differences with the size of the side windows.

I wouldn't suggest towing anything real heavy with an 800. The wheelbase is only 100" and the stock brakes are drum all around, no power assist. The bumper should fit if it fits an 800/80. There was a stock step rear bumper offered by IH which had a hook hitch, but may fit a ball hitch also.

Where is the fuel leaking from the pump? It may be that the bail that holds the glass bowl on is not tight or missing the gasket, or a line is not tight. Not really anywhere else where it would leak. So if it still pumps, ie: the diaphram is good, then it more than likely can be tightened. The OEM type of pump for the 800 had a vacuum assist pump intergrated into the top of the fuel pump. These pumps are rare. You can replace it with a standard non vacuum pump fuel pump, but it will not have the vacuum assist function and your wipers will not work well.

1970IH800a

Farmall Cub
Thanks for the info,the PO said it was 100% stock and has 54xxx miles. I had a 1999 TJ with the straight 6 and sold it after finding out what a poor towing vehicle it was. I was hoping the Scout weighing in @ 3600lbs and a small V8 would be more equipped to tow.
Thanks again and Ill try searching first in the future.
Here are a few pics.
Jerry

Attachments

• scout5.jpg
    scout5.jpg
    283.2 KB · Views: 77
  • scout7.jpg
    scout7.jpg
    177 KB · Views: 86
  • scout10.jpg
    scout10.jpg
    330.6 KB · Views: 94
  • scout14.jpg
    scout14.jpg
    172.8 KB · Views: 87

1970IH800a

Farmall Cub
some pics of the rust I need to tackle,any tips would be greatly appreciated!

Attachments

• scout12.jpg
    scout12.jpg
    269.9 KB · Views: 73
  • scout4.jpg
    scout4.jpg
    159.3 KB · Views: 66
  • scout3.JPG
    scout3.JPG
    720 KB · Views: 69
  • scout2.JPG
    scout2.JPG
    707.9 KB · Views: 72
  • scout1.JPG
    scout1.JPG
    677.2 KB · Views: 68

1970IH800a

Farmall Cub
and a few more

Attachments

• scout6.jpg
    scout6.jpg
    155.2 KB · Views: 69
  • scout8.jpg
    scout8.jpg
    235.3 KB · Views: 73
  • scout9.jpg
    scout9.jpg
    218.9 KB · Views: 67
  • scout11.jpg
    scout11.jpg
    216 KB · Views: 69
  • scout15.jpg
    scout15.jpg
    216 KB · Views: 68

1970IH800a

Farmall Cub
I would like to keep it as stock as possible. Mabey a roll bar,wheels and tires. If I need to convert the brakes to safely tow then so be it.

Let me know what you guys think.

Jerry

Mark B 70SR2

High Wheeler
Looks good! I'd definitely go after that driver floor pan before you get run over by whatever you were towing! I towed a 2500# boat all over AL and GA for years. It tows much better than it stops.

1970IH800a

Farmall Cub
Looks good! I'd definitely go after that driver floor pan before you get run over by whatever you were towing! I towed a 2500# boat all over AL and GA for years. It tows much better than it stops.

Lol,took me a while to visualize,but when I did I got a kick out of it.

db1115

High Wheeler
couple more pics,why do you feel it was repainted? just out of curiosity

The "V" emblems on the fender are gone. The "all wheel drive" emblem is in the wrong spot for a V-8 with no holes I can see in the correct spot. And both the "Scout" and "all wheel drive" emblems have been stuck back on with what looks like emblem tape instead of using the factory studs and nuts.

Plus I think all the 1/2 tops may have been white.

1970IH800a

Farmall Cub
The "V" emblems on the fender are gone. The "all wheel drive" emblem is in the wrong spot for a V-8 with no holes I can see in the correct spot. And both the "Scout" and "all wheel drive" emblems have been stuck back on with what looks like emblem tape instead of using the factory studs and nuts.

Plus I think all the 1/2 tops may have been white.

Impressive! I guess thats what happens when your around these vehicles long enough.

1970IH800a

Farmall Cub
well I took delivery of this major dissapointment tues as scheduled,the more time I spend under the vehicle the worse the situation gets,rust everywhere,including the chassis,Im now trying to come to the decision of parting her out and giving up the dream?

any advice or input would help:no: