BinderPlanet.com

Welcome to BinderPlanet.com the World's Premier IH Website.

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

A 78 Traveler build

Friends of BinderPlanet Facebook Group

TravelerMan79

Binder Driver
Trail looks tough. I know pics never do justice to what the terrain actually is. Did you have any issues with it hanging up due to long wheelbase?

amp831

Farmall Cub
Trail looks tough. I know pics never do justice to what the terrain actually is. Did you have any issues with it hanging up due to long wheelbase?
No never got stuck really up on the trail with the length, did bottom out a few times but never stuck. There were a few spots the length helped out but it did really well. I have about 2.5-3in of lift with rough country springs, Bilstein 5100's, stock shackles and am running General Grabber AT/X 31X10.5R15LT on the mickey thompson classic III's. It helped having a II lead the way to get the lines before me for sure.

Here's a few short videos of it on the trails.

J.J.

Lives in an IH Dealership
Ive found with my '76 Terra the length and its width (it rides on 1975 IH 150 axles) help. I can straddle ruts and do things others can't.

JJ in TN
IMG_9488.JPG

amp831

Farmall Cub
So Jealous ... may have to stop reading forum for a while .. seeing the shows, people on the trail(s), others out and about ..
But then I'd miss all the great tips, ideas, successes, and dare I say HUMOR ...
Congrats ..
Gotta get out now down here before the heat sets in. This is the best time of the year from now till early June. So I have until then to get the AC going or just pack a change of clothes for when I get places.

TravelerMan79

Binder Driver
T
No never got stuck really up on the trail with the length, did bottom out a few times but never stuck. There were a few spots the length helped out but it did really well. I have about 2.5-3in of lift with rough country springs, Bilstein 5100's, stock shackles and am running General Grabber AT/X 31X10.5R15LT on the mickey thompson classic III's. It helped having a II lead the way to get the lines before me for sure.

Here's a few short videos of it on the trails.
Thanks for sharing those vids. Awesome looking rig. Makes me want to get out and hit the trails.

amp831

Farmall Cub
Yes sir, its all about the wheel base. Sliders and a spring over essential. She's never let me down.

Now back to Andrews build!! Hijack over..

View attachment 207200

JJ in TN
haha always welcome a little break for another long wheel base binder. I don't think I'll get that level of rock crawling but I'd never say never.

After this weekend the talk has been about tackling the Georgia traverse over a few weekends, so hopefully more trails are in store this year. Tough to find time, after all the postponements last year we have about 10 weddings to attend as well as everything else that goes with that.

amp831

Farmall Cub
God forbid I leave the Traveler alone for an extended period of time. I drive it around town a lot these days and right now something feels loose or drifty in the steering, not sure if I'm describing it correctly. I have a brand new steering gear, column, borgeson joints, tire rod and drag links currently, so my eye has turned to the spring bushings and shackles at first. To me they just look off. Looking at the front shackles they both seem to lean imo, and the bushings in them look pretty old and beat.

Here's the front end, I know the gravel driveway doesn't do it much favors:
IMG_3657.jpg

This is the driver side shackle:
IMG_3658.jpg

And this is the passenger side:
IMG_3659.jpg

This all looks pretty stock to me, so it looks like they are due for a replacement.
Also My springs look to be a little mis-aligned, here is the passenger springs you can see they don't all stack:
IMG_3660.jpg

and here's the drivers:
IMG_3661.jpg

Currently I'm thinking I do all new shackles and bushings, but should I touch the springs as well while I'm there? Or should I be looking into bearings/axle ujoints? I've given all the steering components a good shake and they are all tight, but to me these shackles/bushings don't pass a sniff test. I might make a new thread but I've seen a few others on the same topic so trying to leverage that info first.

Lars-S

Farmall Cub
May be angle but looks like both are angled with the same slant instead of straight up and down.. but can't imagine all that bent that way with the thick plate. I haven't done much on suspension so others better at accessing and helping you.

amp831

Farmall Cub
May be angle but looks like both are angled with the same slant instead of straight up and down.. but can't imagine all that bent that way with the thick plate. I haven't done much on suspension so others better at accessing and helping you.
Yeah I almost wonder if one of the points are ovaled out somewhere to cause that? It does seem like they are off by a similar amount. I may take some time and take off the stabilizer bar and see if everything is good there.

Perdido

Farmall Cub
Yeah I almost wonder if one of the points are ovaled out somewhere to cause that? It does seem like they are off by a similar amount. I may take some time and take off the stabilizer bar and see if everything is good there.
It almost looks like the front end took a hit and drove both mounts toward the passenger side. You have a great Scout place north of you, GRC fabrication...you can probably get it inspected and buy the parts you need while there.
Rut

amp831

Farmall Cub
It almost looks like the front end took a hit and drove both mounts toward the passenger side. You have a great Scout place north of you, GRC fabrication...you can probably get it inspected and buy the parts you need while there.
Rut
Good idea, I might give them or the Scoutman a call. GRC is about an hour and a half away so if I can make it a day trip to get looked at that wouldn't be so bad. I'm was really hoping it would be something that won't require leaving it somewhere. I do think tomorrow I'll take a look at the sway bar/shackle connection if I can get around to it.

Lars-S

Farmall Cub
I do think tomorrow I'll take a look at the sway bar/shackle connection if I can get around to it.
Good luck .. fortunately it appears its all in that stabilizer assembly and not the frame getting tweaked.. looks like it might have gotten into some of that mash sold after mass near JJ or in somebody's (who will remain nameless LOL) Dad's basement.

Dans78Traveler

Farmall Cub
God forbid I leave the Traveler alone for an extended period of time. I drive it around town a lot these days and right now something feels loose or drifty in the steering, not sure if I'm describing it correctly. I have a brand new steering gear, column, borgeson joints, tire rod and drag links currently, so my eye has turned to the spring bushings and shackles at first. To me they just look off. Looking at the front shackles they both seem to lean imo, and the bushings in them look pretty old and beat.
Once you replace the springs and spring bushings, maybe go to alignment if you haven't already.

amp831

Farmall Cub
I put off looking at the bar till the weekend when I'll have more time. Doesn't mean I did nothing this morning though and looked underneath.

The clamps on the front driveshaft holding down the u-joint were finger loose so tightened those up, am going to grease all the ujonts this weekend hopefully don't know when the last time they had it was.
Looks like its leaking at the spedo cable so tightened that up and cleaned up a little.
IMG_3666.jpg

My reverse lights also aren't working and I think the transmission NSS is to blame, this doesn't look too good. I have a spare switch I just haven't tackled installing it and didn't want to mess with it too much and get myself stuck.
IMG_3669.jpg

And I think my transmission mount has seen better days.
IMG_3670.jpg

I need to make a detailed list and then tackle things in order. The little things always add up.

I think my current project list is as follows:
Replace NSS
Inspect stabilizer bar/front shackles -> adjust then replace as needed.
Install bright light relay kit (optional/nice to have when I get around to it)
Inspect front locking hubs
Check into AC system

I appreciate everyone's feedback in here its always helpful to get another set of eyes on everything and I've learned a ton from this website!

amp831

Farmall Cub
Agree with @Perdido that it has likely been hit shifting to PS. That is not normal. I would also suggest cutting down those U-bolts a bit before they get hung up on something.
Good call, another thing to add to the lists. Looking at the front end its always been something that bothered me but it had always been that way since I've owned it I'm 99% sure looking back at pictures.

I tackled the pigtail this am. Last night I prep'd the wiring a little to make it a fast job this am.
IMG_3676.jpg

I took off the old plug and was met with another surprise. Looks like 1 of the male contacts is missing on the transmission side, so that will need to get swapped out. However at this point I didn't want to the old connector back on so went ahead and installed the new pigtail. The old connector was nasty!
IMG_3677.jpg

IMG_3679.jpg

IMG_3681.jpg

I'm going to have the front end looked at too in mid-May made that call this am. I mainly drive around town and its been okay already, just want to get it cleaned up before another longer trip and doing any more damage.