BinderPlanet.com

Welcome to BinderPlanet.com the World's Premier IH Website.

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

A 78 Traveler build

Binder TV

RinTX

High Wheeler
You can just cut the liftgate that you have. Once you do the conversion - you won’t go back.
Seems like you have a fuel tank/pickup issue or a fuel pump issue.

amp831

Farmall Cub
You can just cut the liftgate that you have. Once you do the conversion - you won’t go back.
Seems like you have a fuel tank/pickup issue or a fuel pump issue.
Yeah I have considered just taking the plunge once I finally finish up cleaning up my tailgate, I have your thread from 2013 bookmarked.

I hope its something that simple, it was running good for a few days since I got it back from the rebuild, and never really had any issues with fuel other than one fuel pump before this one. The tank hasn't been dropped since I've owned it though, of course it will probably need to be once its full.

J.J.

Lives in an IH Dealership
If you're brave, try this. Ive seen fuel issues (starvation) like yours where the sock in the fuel tank gets clogged over time from debris. Take the fuel line loose before the fuel pump, and if you have a compressor, shoot a burst or two of compressed air into it towards the tank. That helped my cause once.

JJ in TN

amp831

Farmall Cub
If you're brave, try this. Ive seen fuel issues (starvation) like yours where the sock in the fuel tank gets clogged over time from debris. Take the fuel line loose before the fuel pump, and if you have a compressor, shoot a burst or two of compressed air into it towards the tank. That helped my cause once.

JJ in TN
I just have a compressor for filling up the tires right now but maybe that will work. I have seen a little research that looks like it could be the tank not venting too or possibly heat soak of the carb? Not sure. If the shop doesn't find it I'll give that a try. I'm a little concerned the conditions that created it (long highway drive, sat for an hour, more highway driving and sitting for lunch, then issues) make it difficult to reproduce, but I am going to look into the fuel system for sure.

amp831

Farmall Cub
Whew, the Scout has been at the shop longer than it has been in my driveway this year, but got it back today! After all my work I gave it a coat of the sweet patina, interested to see how it looks in better light than all the shade we have here. My paint sucks but that is another problem for another year.
IMG_3161.jpg

The fuel issue from before was remedied with new fuel line, sending unit, filters, and replaced a gasket on the float of the carb. The carb runs good now but if it acts up again it might make a return trip to Holley. But for now its back. Also in chasing down the shake in the front end I got new wheels, went with Mickey Thompson Classic III's in 15x8. Still have my 31' General Grabbers, it rode a lot better but if I feel anything again I'm going back to BFG's or going to check out all my bushings. They are old but not too too bad. In addition to the fuel I was planning on some steering work, so I happened upon a new GRC drag link, new rebuilt steering gear to fix a leak, borgeson joints, and re rebuilt tilt column. OH I also needed to swap out the 10" travel fronts to 8", they were too big and the 8" fit much much better, so now have a spare set of 10" that I'll try and get rid of. To top off the shop work it got an oil change before I took it home, so couldn't forget to update the sticker on my windshield.
IMG_3160.jpg

IMG_3159.jpg

Once I got it home I tackled two small projects. I put on new window felts for the driver side, and installed the panel retainer when putting the door back together so I finally have that trim. The door felts were a real pain to get off, I went with the remove the window stop method and when I broke off the rubber stop i just replaced it with a hood stop I had, forgot to get a picture then. After all that work I'm saving the passenger side for another day.

Nasty old felt, ignore lawn that needs attention.
IMG_3158.jpg

Door with new felt.
IMG_3156.jpg

Door all put together.
IMG_3157.jpg

Knock on wood going to run it for a while and not play with too much after all this work. I want to target getting my front seats done this summer and get the tailgate cleaned up, but all this work and the price of gas has me hoping i can take a break for a while.

amp831

Farmall Cub
Andrew come up to BNA this weekend for the 615 Scout Club meet up and show off your work!

JJ in TN
I swear every club does stuff the last weekend when I have plans! Ales and Overland's also started up down here for the last weekends of the months. I do want to come up for a 615 meeting thought soon, it needs redemption at completing the trip!

amp831

Farmall Cub
Today went to use the windshield wipers to brush off some pollen/sticks, they got stuck at the top of their travel. When I stopped i let them down and it looks like I mounted them using the wrong hole, so they were just barely too long. Easy project, and luckily I had extra stock style wipers from never returning things I don't need. About 30 min later and no sticking issues! Always an adventure. Hardest part was unwrapping them from how SSS packaged them!
IMG_3197.jpg

IMG_3199.jpg

J.J.

Lives in an IH Dealership
I swear every club does stuff the last weekend when I have plans! Ales and Overland's also started up down here for the last weekends of the months. I do want to come up for a 615 meeting thought soon, it needs redemption at completing the trip!

come on, we can caravan down!

JJ in TN

amp831

Farmall Cub
Finally got my parts in and overflow bottle cleaned up, this is now the routing before and after for the radiator. Now shes topped off and ready to go!
Before:
IMG_3181.jpg

After:
IMG_3211.jpg

amp831

Farmall Cub
Traveler's running great! The radiator fix is working well so far so good there. Going to take it on a longer trip this weekend (hour or so + highway) and possibly a caffeine and octane appearence, then hopefully offroading in N. GA next weekend so fingers crossed. I also got some sun visors from facebook, and waiting on retaining clips and another traveler hatch from Scout Connection. I hit my tailgate with a rattle can on one side, getting the paint off the inside has been a pain so hoping to have that cleaned off for this summer so I can finally get the top off one day.

Ran some errands and had to get a shot next to this Land Rover:
IMG_3233.jpg

The Classic III's have really been growing on me, I wasnt thrilled by the aluminum options and wanted to try and find rally wheels, but am glad I stuck with the black look.

amp831

Farmall Cub
Few small projects this week. I got some sun visors and clips, cleaned them up with a little brasso and got them installed. The brasso did a great job cleaning it up.
beforeafter_mount.png

Really glad with having the visors now. Also added the blanket as seat covers which have been better than the autozone ones.
IMG_3405.jpg

I also have an intermittent running light. Blinker works, but when I turn on the lights just as a running light its out. I need to replace the connector and probably the socket but I cleaned the connectors with some brass wool and its working for now. I have spare sockets, just need to wire it up.
IMG_3406.jpg IMG_3407.jpg IMG_3408.jpg

Turned on the ac after using the windows for about 2 hours, this is what I was met with...

IMG_3389.jpg

So it will be windows for a while.

After driving around town for about 2 hours I did have one time where I went to accelerate, but it felt like I wasn't getting as much power as I should or it wasn't getting as much gas as it should. I have an inline filter between the tank and the pump and the standard after the pump, inline was full but after the pump only had about 1/4 full and a few surges coming though. I'm going to keep an eye on it but hoping that was just a 1 off thing as it didn't have any other issues the rest of the day driving. I have spare filters in the truck just in case those get clogged but both only have about 200 miles on them since the fuel system got a new sending unit and lines all the way through.

On the horizon I got a console raiser to install this week, a trip to North Georgia in the scout to get its feet wet a little, and got a spare rear hatch to clean up for a tailgate conversion. Finally need to make more progress on the tailgate but stripping the paint on the exterior side has been a pain.

amp831

Farmall Cub
Console riser came in this afternoon, wasted no time installing it when my day freed up. Box is real well made it feels like, glad to have the extra storage space for junk and something a little closer to rest my arm on or reach things.

Installed just the box:
IMG_3422.jpg

Fully installed pictures:
IMG_3425.jpg

IMG_3427.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_3426.jpg
    IMG_3426.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 12

Lars-S

Farmall Cub
After driving around town for about 2 hours I did have one time where I went to accelerate, but it felt like I wasn't getting as much power as I should or it wasn't getting as much gas as it should. I have an inline filter between the tank and the pump and the standard after the pump, inline was full but after the pump only had about 1/4 full and a few surges coming though. I'm going to keep an eye on it but hoping that was just a 1 off thing as it didn't have any other issues the rest of the day driving. I have spare filters in the truck just in case those get clogged but both only have about 200 miles on them since the fuel system got a new sending unit and lines all the way through.
Could have been an air/vapor thingee that cleared itself up. That may have been caused by running the heater to get it up to 100 (joke .. )
Glad it cleared itself out whatever.. Course IH's are like cats, no offense DEW, they will as they see fit on occasion remind us being in control is an illusion (delusion).

amp831

Farmall Cub
Could have been an air/vapor thingee that cleared itself up. That may have been caused by running the heater to get it up to 100 (joke .. )
Glad it cleared itself out whatever.. Course IH's are like cats, no offense DEW, they will as they see fit on occasion remind us being in control is an illusion (delusion).
Very temperamental for sure, always an adventure when you turn the key.
No offense to Dew but our traveler is more of a dog hauler, we just got a new puppy and shes been a great passenger so far.
IMG_3351.jpg

IMG_3355.jpg

I don't think the AC will ever be good enough for the berner to ride long distances in the summer. She's used to the infiniti anyways, although two dogs might make that car not long for our world, but having no payments is the best kind of payments.

Lars-S

Farmall Cub
two dogs might make that car not long for our world, but having no payments is the best kind of payments.
Agree.. When I get hit with the why don't you get a 'new' yada yada yada ...
And how much are the payments on the 50k you still owe. I go and/or park anywhere with no worries. Heck some dont' park near mine for fear theirs will be dinged or 'wait for it' ..... they don't have a mask for their healthy vehicle

amp831

Farmall Cub
The Traveler made it to North Georgia near Clayton and then back to Atlanta all in one piece! It did real well off road, we got in a little tougher trail than I expected but it was a lot of fun wheeling up there. I did have the Auto hubs start acting up when I would go from 4H back to 2H no matter what I did they kept trying to lock which produces a lovely sound, so I ran it back locked but 2h to get back home. Let it sit and today its back in 2H fine, hope they don't start grabbing again. Might take them off and see whats happening in there. The drums are acting up a little too, tried getting them to self adjust in reverse a few times but they are a little touchy right now. That will get tackled as next order of business. I might take a look at home but getting it jacked up on our gravel driveway even with plywood is not the most confidence inspiring.

But here are the pictures from the trails!
IMG_3505.jpg

IMG_3484.jpg

A 4runner and tacoma slowed us down, you can see Dustin from the scoutman's infront of me here with a nice GRC bumper, one day maybe I'll add that:
IMG_3494.jpg

Lars-S

Farmall Cub
So Jealous ... may have to stop reading forum for a while .. seeing the shows, people on the trail(s), others out and about ..
But then I'd miss all the great tips, ideas, successes, and dare I say HUMOR ...
Congrats ..