80/800 VINs wanted

Discussion in 'General IH Tech' started by rlireland, Feb 25, 2008.

1. rlireland

rlireland Content Team Staff Member Moderator

That's kind of what I thought! Thanks, Jim!

Roy

2. Dan DJ

Dan DJ Farmall Cub

Jim - here's the LST I just got for my 66/67. It seems to fit in with the current conversation. I am interested in getting my rig painted, so help deciphering the original paint code will be appreciated. You were spot on in a previous conversation about this truck being mad in Oct of 66 yet titled as a 67. LST G219219_Page_1.jpg Any random observations from you would be cool. Thanks.

3. oneof3k

oneof3k High Wheeler

Not quite close enough to the CO San Juan Mnts
    Your Scout was originally Bahama Blue Metallic, code 6701BL per the LST.

Dan DJ likes this.
  4. BinderBookie

BinderBookie High Wheeler

Yep, that's Bahama Blue alright, a very nice color.

I edited this to make note of something exciting to a geek like me: Yours is the earliest 800 I have on record with a 4-196! Plus, it's got a low engine number, 2012, again, the lowest I have on record. If anyone out there has a late year '66 800 with a 196, I'd like to hear about it. The official availability notice came on August 17 and was reported to be only 10 installations per day that gradually ramped up. To what and when, I don't know. The engine number started at 501, so there had been only 1500 196s built by then and based on what I know about things in general, at least a hundred of those were test engines. Very cool stuff to this geek!

Yours is a Custom trim level 800 ("8" for the sixth digit of the 780908 model prefix plus the 16023 component code). The notation beside that code is unusual, "BODY TT&DU TRIM". Have only seen that a couple of times. Different people writing the LSTs sometimes used different terms.
    What was the roll test date of your Scout? You only posted the first page of the LST. Did you say October? By VIN, it's still a '66 model year, but not by much, G222729 being the official last '66. It's also pretty early into the availability of the 4-196. By date, it's built before the Major Change Program, which incorporated the padded dash, dual circuit brakes, hazard flashers, etc. I see it has a hazard flasher, but doe it have the padded dash, backup lights, and dual circuit brakes? At the same time as those other changes, they were supposed to make the D44 (RA9) standard as well. Basically all '67MY items. The standard D44 was implemented November 11, and the safety items, Nov. 15, but no VIN break is given. Sometimes the new stuff trickled in before the official date, hence my questions.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2020
    Dan DJ likes this.
  5. Dan DJ

Dan DJ Farmall Cub

Here is the Chassis Insp card - I didn't include it because it didn't look like it told a lot, but that is my untrained eye for you.
    It did have the emergency flashers but think that stuff got disabled by the PO, backup lights don't think so. I am not sure about the dual circuit brakes but certainly no padded dash. And unfortunately, no D44.

Thanks again for keeping up with the info.
    LST G219219_Page_2.jpg

6. Jeff Ismail

Jeff Ismail High Wheeler

Jim, I have attached a LST that is even earlier than this one and also has a 196.

Attached Files:

Dan DJ likes this.
  7. BinderBookie

Thanks much! And a Sportop to boot!
    Dan only had moments on the throne!

Dan DJ likes this.
  8. BinderBookie

Dual circuit brakes will have two brake lines going into the master cylinder. The single circuit have only one.

Dan DJ likes this.
  9. Jeff Ismail

Jeff Ismail High Wheeler

LOL. Sorry Dan.
    What's also interesting on the one I provided, it has a roll test of what looks like 4/28 with a final inspection on 10/4. Huge date difference if I read it correctly.

Dan DJ likes this.
  10. BinderBookie

I read that as 9/28 and the LSN would lead me to believe that.

11. Dan DJ

Dan DJ Farmall Cub

Glory is so temporary and fleeting...

And Jim, that is pretty cool info even though I got kicked off my steed prematurely.

oneof3k likes this.
  12. oneof3k

oneof3k High Wheeler

Not quite close enough to the CO San Juan Mnts
    After reading the last few postings, I had to go out and check the engine number of my 196. It is 6511. The reason I bring this up is that it came in a '64 Scout and was told, perhaps some 25 years ago, that it was out of a '66. Based on what I read in the Scout Encyclopedia and what I've learned since, it seems likely that it is actually a '67 engine. Either way, no Scout 800 with it :no:.

13. BinderBookie

From my loosely developed engine skews, yeah, it would be a '67 engine from about February '67 and installed in an 800 at about G237000.

oneof3k likes this.
  14. Dana Strong

Dana Strong Lives in an IH Dealership

BinderBookie:
    [code 6701Bl] Which was from Paint Chart 114S. What was the name for paint code 6758 Bl, from Paint chart 113S?
    Also, how many paint charts were there and were some just revisions of older ones, or what??​

15. BinderBookie

"Paint Chart" a.k.a. Paint Instruction Code, is not a reference directly to the main color, but a "map" of how the Scout was to be painted... mainly differentiated by body style and model. Two tone paint jobs had a different chart than a monotone and a Sportop was different from a Cab-top. Was the dash painted body color or was it a special color? The Paint Instruction Code told the paint shop all that. I wish I had a rosetta stone for all that. I have found some correlation with certain codes for special variants but overall, I'm largely in the dark. Look on page 369 of Encyclopedia for more info.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2020
  16. Michael1971

Michael1971 Farmall Cub

FC51000A-62 scout 80,
    Today I paid for the 4th and 5th editions to my current fleet.

17. BinderBookie

Congrats! Mid-late July production, looks like. Anything unusual jump out at you?

18. Michael1971

Michael1971 Farmall Cub

It's got a PTO winch and the shifter looks pretty on brand with the rest of the IH brand shifters, is there any chance that was original?

19. BinderBookie

Yep, they had factory installed PTO winches. Are you getting the LST? If so, it will be on there. Can you see the brand? Or take a coupla pictures?

20. Michael1971

Michael1971 Farmall Cub

I can take a closer look at it when I get it home, I'm still working on getting it home, where did they hide the LST on scout 80's?