BinderPlanet.com

Welcome to BinderPlanet.com the World's Premier IH Website.

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

'74 scout II floor replacement and more!

2021 Arizona International Harvester Rendezvous

Lars-S

Binder Driver
It isn't structural so a panel adhesive with maybe 1 or 2 tacks / spot welds at ends.. Looks like you could get a HF spot welder on it all the way around but that might leave dimples on outside of fender.. I am just speculating as I have not done this.. just sharing my thoughts.. Everyone seams to be using seam sealer and guess for all the larger areas (runs) that would be easier and OK.. I have started looking at and am contemplating using mig/tig silicon brazing instead.. That said I may not as it appears it needs clean metal just as soldering a copper pipe would. One of the videos I watched also said keeping the temp right is tricky but I think that is relative to any of the welding/soldering/brazing forms.. Guess will try on some test pieces or areas.. I was going to weld shut but if SiCu works that would be better where it isn't structural IMO.

Adhesive probably doesn't care as long as loose dirt/oils aren't on the surfaces to be joined..

Jeff W

Farmall Cub
Went ahead and bought LORD Fusor Metal Panel Bonding Adhesive Medium 108B off ebay....40 min working time. I also bought (fast) version with only a 5 minute working time...might get into trouble with that speed. We'll see how she does...product review videos are pretty impressive.
1625174433422.png

Lars-S

Binder Driver
Just read some of its applications with references to manufacturers approval for use on the LORD website.. very impressive indeed.. think you have a winner there.. It almost sounds like it does the job of a sealer as well.. The fact it can be riveted or spot welded over/through seems like a plus too.. Let us know how it goes,, keep a phone close by in case you glue yourself in place with the 5min one LOL LOL

Jeff W

Farmall Cub
Just read some of its applications with references to manufacturers approval for use on the LORD website.. very impressive indeed.. think you have a winner there.. It almost sounds like it does the job of a sealer as well.. The fact it can be riveted or spot welded over/through seems like a plus too.. Let us know how it goes,, keep a phone close by in case you glue yourself in place with the 5min one LOL LOL
will do!...gonna be a few days before it arrives

Jeff W

Farmall Cub
Driver side done and mocked up....When I took the quarter panel off the passenger side somehow i didn't get the top of the fill piece flush with the wheel well so had to cut it flush it and fill a 1/4 in gap with weld... 😂, IT SUCKED! but I think it turned out ok. Panel adhesive came today so hopefully get some time over the weekend to finish these off. My fabbed parts arent do not mate exactly flush and not sure if that will affect the bonding of the panel adhesive...guess we'll see.
64695506901__B5B05DC0-D93E-4E40-998E-2B60E48AC7D9 copy.jpg
64695505891__9D6923CB-FBE5-41EE-9F6E-F1D54BE45C31 copy.jpg
64695613867__CE18DC07-DCE1-4865-9F8A-D0F33BE23813 copy.jpg

Also, went over to Anythingscout and grabbed a couple corner caps to finish off my rear quarter panels nicely.

Lars-S

Binder Driver
Looking good .. my parts are alot more beat up and don't fit as well as all the stuff on my Scout so expect it will outlast me by more than a few LOL Hopefully we'll be considerate and content with each other as time goes by :🙃

Jeff W

Farmall Cub
Looking good .. my parts are alot more beat up and don't fit as well as all the stuff on my Scout so expect it will outlast me by more than a few LOL Hopefully we'll be considerate and content with each other as time goes by :🙃
Ya, up to this point I have been very picky about exact fitment and it has cost me a lot of time and frustration. Lately though, I've been content with functional and I am unexpectedly happy with how things are going not to mention more motivated to work on it and get it on the road.

Lars-S

Binder Driver
I've been content with functional and I am unexpectedly happy with how things are going not to mention more motivated to work on it and get it on the road.
Indeed. Think as long as we don't scrimp on a structural integrity or other safety or dependability issues then we are doing justice to our vehicles and ourselves.

Perdido

Binder Driver
Indeed. Think as long as we don't scrimp on a structural integrity or other safety or dependability issues then we are doing justice to our vehicles and ourselves.
A lot of cars and trucks use panel adhesive in structural areas and it’s growing in popularity in the restoration world. As long as you have clean metal and enough of it to make a good bond you should be golden.
Rut

Bridgerscout

Farmall Cub
Looks great! I am right behind you. Did you weld the end cap to quarter panel before you hung it?

Jeff W

Farmall Cub
Looks great! I am right behind you. Did you weld the end cap to quarter panel before you hung it?
Yes...I think getting the alignment right wold be difficult trying to weld on already mounted quarter panel. Hanging it would be easier with two people but its not too bad by yourself. kind of a hook the corner cap and slight swing around to wrap it over the wheel well and B pillar.

Jeff W

Farmall Cub
Got some glue on these guys tonight...they went together a lot slicker in my head...but then again, I have been driving around a sweet scout since I bought this thing, in my head...HAHAHA! Anyway, I used the panel adhesive kinda like caulk at the end.
I mounted the rear quarters tightly then slide the fillers into place and self tap screwed them on. Then removed the quarters and scribed lines, removed screws (which primarily acted as alignment holes) glued and replaced; screwed it back on and filled gaps with epoxy. I'll probably add a few tack welds when its all dry. Also, as seen on the drivers side wheel well, grinding paint out of the underside heated up the rustbullet enough to bubble it...gonna have to be careful grinding welds on the inner quarters.

64738948363__326738C9-5892-40D1-A11A-060430B1A544 copy.jpg
64738950004__AEEE03C4-10FE-4C07-B76A-290694EB1D23 copy.jpg
64738951414__909142CC-A081-4AE0-8EC6-9E6A3E0ABDC0 copy.jpg
64738952762__AD11A05E-39D3-4594-8DC4-26F71CF87577 copy.jpg

Pffft!...who needs a special epoxy gun anyway? those suckers are like $40!

64738997770__5D1E4A7E-8EA8-4C18-B627-9E55E8AD06D4 copy.jpg

And finally, what do you guys think about this kinda paint?...Is it really farm equipment heavy duty or is that just a sales pitch?

64738955275__98532415-AB93-46BE-B70B-135D2BF2DDC2 copy.jpg

Lars-S

Binder Driver
And finally, what do you guys think about this kinda paint?...Is it really farm equipment heavy duty or is that just a sales pitch?
Its as much a pitch as anybody elses .. That said its at Tractor Supply as their main, lots of shelves paint, and they make it in an International Red as well as a JD, and a Massey color so must end up on outdoor tractors alot.

Jeff W

Farmall Cub
Its as much a pitch as anybody elses .. That said its at Tractor Supply as their main, lots of shelves paint, and they make it in an International Red as well as a JD, and a Massey color so must end up on outdoor tractors alot.
I guess enough coats of anything will be durable 😉

Jeff W

Farmall Cub
So for anyone planning on using panel adhesive, (At least the kind above) I was a little worried because it had a tacky feel to it even after all night curing. With a 4hr cure time I was sure something went wrong. After a little interwebs research I guess its normal to have the tackiness and it can be cleaned/ground off prior to painting.

Lars-S

Binder Driver
So for anyone planning on using panel adhesive, (At least the kind above) I was a little worried because it had a tacky feel to it even after all night curing. With a 4hr cure time I was sure something went wrong. After a little interwebs research I guess its normal to have the tackiness and it can be cleaned/ground off prior to painting.
Yea .. that always worries me with 2 part systems.. kind of why I don't get the 5min ones anymore.. Did I mix it ALL and did I mix it thoroughly enough?? Glad you could find some info to help with your concerns over it still be sticky.. Another gotch with some of them (ok so I used a 5 min epoxy yesterday lol) is they can put out some massive heat I would thing if a large enough area and enough mix it might create an oil can .. boy would that #X@I

Maybe you can paint over without having to remove the left sticky area.. Need to get it off if not as it can then have stuff stick that might create a home for nasties..
Sounds though like all in all it went well even with the homemade dispenser ++++