"73 Scout II Split Grill Trim, What Did You Do? What Do You Think??

Discussion in 'General IH Tech' started by TorqueMonster1, Feb 9, 2019.

1. TorqueMonster1

TorqueMonster1 Farmall Cub

02B11821-2148-4F86-A040-C8E435151FC4.jpeg DC8C6094-EFA8-4D0B-9299-E65C54CB72A6.jpeg Thanks for looking at my post. I started a thread 3 days ago in the "Wanted" section. As of now it's had 12 views and No replies. I'm thinking that might not have been the best place to post it even though it was the "correct" place for it. http://www.binderplanet.com/forums/index.php?members/torquemonster1.72218/

With that said here's my situation..My Scout II is a 73. I didn't purposely choose that year even though I really do like the grill. I'm BIG on chrome. I just like chrome!! Nothing against the current trend of black bumpers, black wheels, black grill etc. One of the pictures shows the '73 grill that I'm thinking was a one year only design. The other picture shows what exactly the trim looks like and the light bulb is to give reference to the size for those that aren't familiar with it.

My trim pieces are in good shape other than having 46 year old chrome. These pieces are plastic by the way. I'm currently trying to get prices on having them rechromed. There are options of "chrome" DIY kits and also "chrome" spray paint. All of the "chrome" spray paints I've ever seen are some variation of silver. I just don't think that'll look good with a chrome bumper sitting in front of it.

I'm wondering what you all have done or seen done to a '73 specific grill like mine. Do any of you have some of these pieces of trim that you aren't using that would allow me to "experiment" with different options. On another forum someone mentioned that I might consider having these made out of stainless steel. That's not a bad idea but I don't know who could do it OR what I'd cost. As always I'm very appreciative to any and all feedback. Thanks Guys! Mark

tim vaughan likes this.
  2. MrKenmore

MrKenmore Dreams of Cub Cadets

Certainly my favorite year grille. As the trims you show there were a one year offering, they're kinda scarce compared to other year grilles and associated trims. I don't have those trims on mine. I thought I would really want the trims but now I like it without.

tim vaughan likes this.
  3. scoutboy74

scoutboy74 Lives in an IH Dealership

The grille itself, sans trim is found on SII model years '73 thru '75. What differed during those three years is the associated shiny bits that could overlay the metal. '73 as you noted, is the only year of the split trim pieces. '74 got a one piece, rectangular overlay with thicker vertical bars. '75 kept the center overlay from '74 and added headlight bezel trim pieces. So the '75 grilles have four holes poked in them for those headlight trims which are plainly visible if the trim piece is removed.

tim vaughan likes this.
  4. MrKenmore

Yes. Mine is technically a 75. I filled in those rectangular holes around the lights to give it the 73 look.

5. TorqueMonster1

TorqueMonster1 Farmall Cub

Thanks for the feedback guys. I’m a little surprised at the lack of replies about this subject. I’m sure part of it can be explained by the fact that although we love our Scouts there was a time when they were just old wore out 4x4s that many a good ole boys bought to use, abuse and then throw away. One year only plastic trim on the grill never had much of a chance in surviving.

I will be looking into different options and prices of having the chrome redone. I’ll report back what I find, which way I go and how it turns out. In the mean time I’m up for any and all input. Thanks! Mark

tim vaughan likes this.
  6. Patrick Morris

Patrick Morris Lives in an IH Dealership

I did the same with mine. Filled all the holes. Best looking grill IMO. No chrome pieces around mine at all though, even though I do thing the big chrome squares look kinda cool. I just have the stainless bezels around the headlights.

EDIT: May as well clarify that mine's a '78 and had that standard grill when I bought it. After running an SSII sport grill for a couple of years I decided to go with the earlier style. Found what I guess was a '75 front piece in really good condition at a local 'yard and went to work on it. This was back in the mid '90s. No regrets.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2019
  7. ollie

ollie High Wheeler

I'm planning on painting my 73 'Geezer' this summer. Truck has always been two tone with the chrome strip down the sides between wheel arches, the color of the grill is also below that chrome and the roof is sort of that color but very faded now.I kind of like the two tone front grille look.
    I have the chrome roof rack and stainless strips so this is more a street truck than serious 4x4.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 10, 2019
  8. Phearmonger

Phearmonger Farmall Cub

Considering that the chrome grill trim for the ‘73 isn’t just a single year but was also only available with the “deluxe” exterior trim package it is uncommon to say the least. I had to replace one on mine and it took months to find a decent one that someone was willing to part with. Your best options are to hunt for a set in better condition than you have or send yours off to be rechromed. Places like http://gcartrim.com/ exist, not that I have used them personally.

9. timetraveler77

timetraveler77 Farmall Cub

To each their own..I have no chrome and shaved marker lights on my 78...

Attached Files:

10. BigRigg

BigRigg Y-Block King

If you have a local spectre chrome, they can do it.

11. subldoed

subldoed Farmall Cub

TimeTraveler, Are you not running side markers? Also, what goes in to "shaving" the front markers?

12. timetraveler77

Correct no side lights. Removed them, tack weld backer plate and fill/ prep.

Attached Files:

13. Patrick Morris

Now I must have them on mine. :)

14. Patrick Morris

Slab sides of the Scout II too "busy" for your taste?

Just kidding. Looks great. Now I want to do that as well.

15. timetraveler77

Yeah just wanted to be different....not any that I seen at Nats this summer.

tim vaughan likes this.
  16. MrKenmore

It's funny. I remeber your Scout at Nationals but didn't notice the lack of side marker lights! Slick indeed.

17. Jeff Jamison

Jeff Jamison Lives in an IH Dealership

That's not legal in some states,in Pa you need all lights that came from the factory

18. subldoed

subldoed Farmall Cub

In Hawaii it's a tiki torch out the side you're turning to and a conch shell for a horn.

MrKenmore likes this.
  19. David Banner

David Banner High Wheeler

Might not pass a state insp if that's an issue for you...

20. David Banner

David Banner High Wheeler

IMG_1201.JPG Ignore the tri-color...
    I'm cleaning up one piece of Scout at a time...

My '75 grille was hacked and cracked when I bought it so I picked up this '73 grille at Coonrod's a couple years back -- I didn't know it was so rare but it is my favorite -- Coonrod's had every example you (and damn near every color!) could want!
    I'd call him about the chrome trim if you want spares. IMG_1201.JPG

Phearmonger likes this.