'70 800A Green Machine

Discussion in 'Binder Builds' started by Jack H, Dec 4, 2015.

1. supermerle

supermerle Binder Driver

Not sure about the Vaseline but both are a petroleum based product. I did the emergency brake cable boot off my scout and it's like new? Supple, soft, and pliable. I think rubber has a lot of silicone in it and it's the silicone evaporates from the rubber; which, makes the rubber brittle. The rubber acts like a sponge and absorbs the silicone. I put one of them red straws on the can of silicone; then, put the parts in zip lock bag and closed it with straw in bag and sprayed. Not near has many fume's.

Jack H likes this.
  2. Jack H

Jack H Farmall Cub

Thanks Super, I went ahead and tried it. I had a can of silicone spray, sprayed the seals and put them in a garbage bag and tied it up. How long did you leave them in there?

3. supermerle

supermerle Binder Driver

I left mine for a week or two, I think? Just keep an eye on them. I don't think it matters and it won't hurt anything?

4. Jack H

Jack H Farmall Cub

I did as you mentioned, and after even 1 day the seals are noticeably more supply and soft. They almost look and feel new. Great tip, thanks for sharing!!
    Jack

5. supermerle

supermerle Binder Driver

Glad I could help!

6. Jack H

Jack H Farmall Cub

Over the holidays I thought I would try some home brew electroplating with zinc. I wanted to add some additional corrosion protection to some of the door/tailgate parts besides just paint. Keep in mind that most of these parts will be painted over anyways. It was more of a science experiment for me than anything, and only cost me about 30$. I did get some shadowing on some of the pieces and missed a few spots, but like i said, they will get painted afterwards. Overall, I am pretty pleased, although its a little more work than I thought. Here's some pics:
    This is one of the tailgate shoulder bolts that I wanted to keep. This was plated 2 times for about 5 minutes each time, then brushed with a brass wire brush afterwards. I plates all the tailgate hardware because those shoulder bolts are hard to find.
    IMG_1017.JPG
    This is one of the tailgate hinge pins, before/after. I decided not to polish these brackets
    IMG_1025.JPG IMG_1028.JPG
    IMG_1026.JPG

Phil B likes this.
  7. Jack H

Jack H Farmall Cub

Just a quick update. It's been a while since I've been able to work on the scout, although I have completed a few things. I finished up both doors including new hinges, sound insulation, painted inside doors, cleaned up window regulators, new track guides etc. Here's a vid of the sound insulation....this stuff is amazing.

Also, got a chance to take her up in the mountains for a spin. She's running really good right now, and without the doors it's ever better. I just wish paint wasn't so expensive....
    5.10.17.JPG
    Thanks,

Top Ramen, Phil B and scout2000 like this.
  8. Bussy

Bussy High Wheeler

What sound deadener did you use?

9. Jack H

Jack H Farmall Cub

Noico. I bought it off Amazon, it's reasonably priced and pretty easy to work with.

Top Ramen likes this.
  10. Comanche Scott

Comanche Scott High Wheeler

Came out great!
    You know probably the quietest doors I've ever... not heard... were hanging in the garage. :beer:

Kenneth Barber and Jack H like this.
  11. Jack H

Jack H Farmall Cub

Well, I finally did it. Shipped off the scout this last weekend for paint, bedliner inside, a cage, new seatbelts and seats. Super pumped to get it back and just try to enjoy the process of someone else working on it....sort of a weird feeling to be honest. Anyways, I haven't been super active on here lately, but I've put about 300 miles on the scout in the last month or two, including 65-70mph on the freeways in LA without issues. So, check back occasionally as I'll start posting some photos as the shop progresses.
    Thanks!
    Jack

12. Phil B

Phil B Farmall Cub

Awesome Jack. I can't wait to see the results. Who's doing the work?

13. Jack H

Jack H Farmall Cub

Thanks Phil B. I sent it down to RSO Performance in Hemet CA. I think they specialize more in Landcruisers, but they do some great work from what I've seen. One of the reasons why I decided to take it there was because the owner, Mike, seemed pretty excited to do some work on an IH. I presume it's probably going to take them a while to complete the work, as they had a lot of trucks in their shop, but I'm generally a patient person :) Thanks for asking!
    -Jack

14. Soldierofortune1017

Soldierofortune1017 Farmall Cub

Sorry if you said and I missed it, but do you have the dimensions of the bed floor? Maybe detailed pictures of the framework under it? Mine is completely gone and I can't afford a new tub, but I don't know where to start rebuilding it.

15. Jack H

Jack H Farmall Cub

No worries, unfortunately I dont have any pics from underneath, but see the sketch below. Keep in mind, this is not OEM. And will give you a "flat" bed to work with, as in you wont have the ridges in the bed.
    I used 2x2x1/8 angle for the bed sides - these sit on top of the channel that's already there.
    I used 3 strips of 3"x3/16", spaced evenly, running the length of the bed for support. This will sit on the cross members that are already there.
    1 sheet of 16GA steel for the bed, cut to 60" long and 37.75" wide. The total width is 38", but the .25" missing is from the angle on the sides.
    Hope this helps.
    Assem1.jpg
    IMG_0798.JPG
    20150216_162151.jpg

Top Ramen likes this.
  16. Soldierofortune1017

Soldierofortune1017 Farmall Cub

That helps a lot! Thank you very much!

Top Ramen likes this.
  17. Jack H

Jack H Farmall Cub

Well I finally got some pics of the work that has been going on with my scout. Paint is nearly done, cage is done with the exception of paint. Still left to do is spray liner inside the cab and top, paint the top, put in the new seats and seatbelts, and all new weatherstripping. But it's coming along! I'm super excited, and am so happy to see some aesthetic things happening!
    Thanks for looking - Jack
    New Cage 1.jpg
    New Cage 2.jpg
    New Cage 3.jpg
    New Paint 1.jpg New Paint 2.jpg

Phil B and Bussy like this.
  18. Comanche Scott

Comanche Scott High Wheeler

Wow! Looking awesome Jack.
    Can't wait to see it all together now. :beer:

Jack H likes this.
  19. jmait769

jmait769 High Wheeler

Wow is right!!! Great choice on the color Jack and the cage came out awesome too!

20. Jack H

Jack H Farmall Cub

Thanks, I appreciate it! The top will remain white still. I'm debating whether or not I should do the SR2 Clone stripes minus the "SR2" lettering. I think the stripes look sweet.

Phil B likes this.