BinderPlanet.com

Welcome to BinderPlanet.com the World's Premier IH Website.

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

$600 Scout II

Binder TV

mongocanfly

Y-Block King
On mufflers , I bought a set for my C30 yrs ago...a guy I worked with had a great sounding truck and he told me he had magnaflows... so I ordered a set off ebay..when I got them I was looking them over and noticed there was no magnaflow stamping on them..I went back and looked at the Ebay ad and realized it said magflow...they forgot the "na"...I went ahead and used them anyway..they are stainless 2-1/2"..and I love the sound...get compliments all the time on how great the truck sounds..so I decided to use a set on Columbus as well..now it seems they changed the name to maxflow..I think I used 16s on the C30 and have 18s for the IH...I also have a set of walkers high flow quite mufflers that I want to try...

Lars-S

Binder Driver
I’m thinking about having the exhaust installed before the body goes back on and want to do a stock 345 dual with an H pipe. I want decent sound, not loud, but not ‘silent’ either. Any recommendations on mufflers? Any pitfalls to having it installed now?
Access is a plus. Easier to look at it and move around the pieces.. If its a stock replacement kit there should not be any gotcha's doing it prior to body being installed. If it is a partial fabrication exhaust and/or engine/trans/manifold not in same location then it may be better to do it with the body on. I've been going back and forth with the design of mine though it is a complete engine/trans swap scenario.. Having the body there makes it obvious what may need a loving tap from a sledge or a oops not enough room here.. Don't forget to plan on hangers too

Perdido

Binder Driver
Access is a plus. Easier to look at it and move around the pieces.. If its a stock replacement kit there should not be any gotcha's doing it prior to body being installed. If it is a partial fabrication exhaust and/or engine/trans/manifold not in same location then it may be better to do it with the body on. I've been going back and forth with the design of mine though it is a complete engine/trans swap scenario.. Having the body there makes it obvious what may need a loving tap from a sledge or a oops not enough room here.. Don't forget to plan on hangers too
I’ve got an exhaust shop that will be doing the work. As much as a pita as it was to remove, I don’t want to deal with an install. Cost is about the same.
Thanks, Rut

Perdido

Binder Driver
Started installing the fuel and return lines today, worked on the swing away tire carrier and a few other miscellaneous jobs. Also installed the new rocker arms and made sure to coat the bolts in a good sealant. Now I’ve got extras to put in the spare parts box until I finish. Notice the nice bend going to the throttle body? I’ll get the kinks out later…
Rut
42D1716D-64EF-4F3C-92C4-A454C563D219.jpeg
F9197BB1-77C8-43E1-8B4F-1052FFA5329F.jpeg
348D25C0-F6DA-420F-91E4-3DE534167E10.jpeg
D59B2F39-2B85-4D47-A17C-A95432474F2A.jpeg
38DAC980-D83C-4528-AF7E-843FE236C631.jpeg

Lars-S

Binder Driver
Looks Fabulous .. you're doing a great job .. like one of my customers said when referring to partaking of something that looked too good to eat ... NAH ..devoured

Looks to nice to drive ... NAH .. and away you go ... well shortly hopefully

Perdido

Binder Driver
I’m going to run the rear wiring theu the passenger side frame rail and probably move the fuel pump wire while I’m at it. I did a close inspection and noticed that wires were showing thru the original wrap, but no damage to the wires themselves, so I pulled out the harness wrapping tape and did the whole thing. I’ll put it inside a plastic loom just to give it a little more abrasive resistance.
Rut

Gioscout2

Farmall Cub
Installed the HFI and will wait on the O2 bung for the exhaust guys. Everything went smoothly on the physical part of the install and if I can actually follow Bills instructions I should be good to go. I’m thinking about having the exhaust installed before the body goes back on and want to do a stock 345 dual with an H pipe. I want decent sound, not loud, but not ‘silent’ either. Any recommendations on mufflers? Any pitfalls to having it installed now?
The spare tire swing away arm mounts the spare way too high, so I dropped it about 15” so the bottom of the tire is about 1” above the bumper. I used my newly acquired CAD skills to make a plate that just bolts on to the existing mounts, now to have the shop fab the piece up in 1/4” steel.
I’ll run the HFI fuel lines today and since the fuel pump is located on top of the passenger side frame I’ll just run the lines there as well. I want to use a combination of SS tube and FI hoses and clamps, any concerns with that? AN fittings would look nice, but they are a little $$. Decisions, decisions.
Rut View attachment 212046 View attachment 212047
You have things moving along nicely, had to play catch up on your post , not getting my alerts for some reason, I hate missing out on good stuff like this.

J.J.

Lives in an IH Dealership
I’m going to run the rear wiring theu the passenger side frame rail and probably move the fuel pump wire while I’m at it. I did a close inspection and noticed that wires were showing thru the original wrap, but no damage to the wires themselves, so I pulled out the harness wrapping tape and did the whole thing. I’ll put it inside a plastic loom just to give it a little more abrasive resistance.
Rut

your best friend is going to be a fish tape. I found it easier to start from the front and work towards the rear. You won't be able to do it all in one shot, expect to feel it hang up, and then you'll be able to see the tape thru the frame holes on the bottom and (at least it worked for me) was to get needle nose pliers and push from mid frame, maybe only an inch or so at a time, but you've got to get up and over where the frame bends up for the rear axle.

JJ in TN

Perdido

Binder Driver
your best friend is going to be a fish tape. I found it easier to start from the front and work towards the rear. You won't be able to do it all in one shot, expect to feel it hang up, and then you'll be able to see the tape thru the frame holes on the bottom and (at least it worked for me) was to get needle nose pliers and push from mid frame, maybe only an inch or so at a time, but you've got to get up and over where the frame bends up for the rear axle.

JJ in TN
I’ve got to find my fish tape, but before I pull wire I need to paint/coat the inside of the frame which I haven’t don’t yet. I’m debating using the original hose clamps since I have some, but since this is not going to be an ‘original’ should I use modern clamps?
Rut
BB81D163-5AF4-4D71-A745-A3DA3B0EE0A5.jpeg

Perdido

Binder Driver
I’ve used the Eastwood IFC and like it a lot, so that’s probably what I’ll do. Most of my clamps will e new and I don’t have a reason to reuse the old ones. I know I’ve got your address somewhere, but please pm it and I’ll send them out. In the hopes that the transmission and TC are in decent shape I started inspecting them more closely and the amount of gasket maker is second only to the amount of bondo used on this Scout! The bolts are a mix and my hopes are not very high. Any advice on going thru a 727 and Dana 200?
Thanks, Rut
5FC97448-30AD-433D-8602-5CD1E9DFAEC5.jpeg
BF820ED9-D2A6-45C0-93A0-9BCCF68AEAA5.jpeg
29C85CC5-CCD6-4F13-A4A7-10A81487A479.jpeg
C2FF8287-6BCF-43A4-81FE-60B9ED22487D.jpeg
9A6612B4-9D71-478C-BB93-0AA792FCF184.jpeg

Lars-S

Binder Driver
and the amount of gasket maker is second only to the amount of bondo used on this Scout! ... ... ... . Any advice on going thru a 727 and Dana 200?
So you stand to loose several hundred bounds of GVW
Make sure you get the right 727 kit there are a few models(yr-engine) ..its not a beast to work on just lay everything out as you take it apart then back together in reverse with new plates/clutchs and other parts depending on Level of kit (some have bushings, some not, some sprags, some not). That front pump comes off fairly easily with a slide hammer .. two of the holes should be threaded that you can then pul bolt/screw in to yank on.

Gioscout2

Farmall Cub
ye
I’ve used the Eastwood IFC and like it a lot, so that’s probably what I’ll do. Most of my clamps will e new and I don’t have a reason to reuse the old ones. I know I’ve got your address somewhere, but please pm it and I’ll send them out. In the hopes that the transmission and TC are in decent shape I started inspecting them more closely and the amount of gasket maker is second only to the amount of bondo used on this Scout! The bolts are a mix and my hopes are not very high. Any advice on going thru a 727 and Dana 200?
Thanks, Rut View attachment 212215 View attachment 212216 View attachment 212217 View attachment 212218 View attachment 212219
Yeah based on the amount of sealant I'd say there may have been a leak..

Perdido

Binder Driver
Any particular brand of kits y’all prefer for the Dana 20 and 727? I’ve never overhauled or even repaired either one of these before.
Rut

Arkansas Dave

High Wheeler
No, the fuel comes in the back and filters on the outside of the filter not the inside.
But isn't that one of the filters that's solid metal on the end of the paper and the fuel comes in around the filter goes into the paper and out the white end after going through the paper
from the outside like you was saying if so it looks backwards like Blaine Man was saying. Or I connect to the right side of the one below in the pic for incoming and the left for
outgoing but I may be running them backwards.

Dave

20210810_211146.jpg

Lars-S

Binder Driver
There should be flow arrows somewhere on the outside for us that are forgetful .. is this the right post for my answer :O)