BinderPlanet.com

Welcome to BinderPlanet.com the World's Premier IH Website.

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

$600 Scout II

Binder TV

J.J.

Lives in an IH Dealership
Def don't re-use your u bolts. I am having a hard time understanding why they are too short now? Since mine were used, I bought brand new U Bolts from Stengle Bros

right in here somewhere is where I did my rear axle, I moved mine back because I thought it didn't look right in the fender well. Then I had to get a longer driveshaft made:

there is an entire discussion on my thread about the Skyjacker stuff (which I love BTW, truck rides as good as Mrs JJ's Grand Cherokee).

Also the correct orientation on the springs:

This are 4 in Skyjackers with Randys (GRC) 1 inch extended shackles.

JJ in TN

Perdido

Binder Driver
Def don't re-use your u bolts. I am having a hard time understanding why they are too short now? Since mine were used, I bought brand new U Bolts from Stengle Bros

right in here somewhere is where I did my rear axle, I moved mine back because I thought it didn't look right in the fender well. Then I had to get a longer driveshaft made:

there is an entire discussion on my thread about the Skyjacker stuff (which I love BTW, truck rides as good as Mrs JJ's Grand Cherokee).

Also the correct orientation on the springs:

This are 4 in Skyjackers with Randys (GRC) 1 inch extended shackles.

JJ in TN
JJ,
I followed your lead and moved the rear axle back 1/2-5/8” and that may be the problem, but Skyjacker is sending out 4 longer U bolts for the rear end. Mines a 2” lift with 1” longer GRC shackles and the tires and wheels will be here today…I’m gonna have a rolla!
Rut

J.J.

JJ,
I followed your lead and moved the rear axle back 1/2-5/8” and that may be the problem, but Skyjacker is sending out 4 longer U bolts for the rear end. Mines a 2” lift with 1” longer GRC shackles and the tires and wheels will be here today…I’m gonna have a rolla!
Rut

ah, now I got you. Hopefully you won't have to get your driveshaft extended, that was around $200 if I recall properly.

Congrats on the rolla!!

JJ in TN

Perdido

Binder Driver
ah, now I got you. Hopefully you won't have to get your driveshaft extended, that was around $200 if I recall properly.

Congrats on the rolla!!

JJ in TN
Thanks, if it needs to be extended I’ll just go back to the original holes.
Thanks, Rut

Perdido

Binder Driver
Success! From the crappy welder the frame, suspension and drivetrain have gone from a rat poop infested and rusted piece of Scout to a rolla! More to do this weekend, but I’m pretty much thru with working outside for the time being. Woohoo!
Rut
0BE8ABBE-539E-45F6-B703-30884FB9E315.jpeg
D9F7E135-3E5B-4F2B-9F53-D875E604D232.jpeg
1C64B0FA-CA60-4C82-9ADC-D17EB2F5EE62.jpeg
72774BDD-9B51-4371-BF78-2B87A1E8B55C.jpeg

Gioscout2

Farmall Cub
Success! From the crappy welder the frame, suspension and drivetrain have gone from a rat poop infested and rusted piece of Scout to a rolla! More to do this weekend, but I’m pretty much thru with working outside for the time being. Woohoo!
Rut View attachment 211685 View attachment 211686 View attachment 211687 View attachment 211688
Man I like that tire and rim combo.. What size tire and rim is that.. I have those same style of rims on another completed project of mine done many years ago and makes my 68 GMC pickup look awesome .

mongocanfly

Y-Block King
Those rims look great..!!....hope those bfgs work out for ya...I went thru several sets of those that they never could get to balance...

Mark Brown

Farmall Cub
Sounds like a plan…enjoy your vacation! Edit: what kind of timeframe are you on? I’ve got to run up to Cleveland to pick up a roll bar from GRC and I’ll probably make a 4-5 day trip out of it with SWMBO. Will probably hit Elijay, Helen, etc and make a loop.
Rut
I am in no hurry with that part of my build, still working on rust eradication, haha. shoot me a message when you head to north Georgia and i will meet you somewhere if thats good with you. Thanks!

Perdido

Binder Driver
Man I like that tire and rim combo.. What size tire and rim is that.. I have those same style of rims on another completed project of mine done many years ago and makes my 68 GMC pickup look awesome .
Thanks, they are relatively inexpensive ProComp wheels and they look to be fairly well made. The tires are BFG all terrain and my son has the same set on a Jeep YJ and he’s happy with them. We’ve got a great old time mom and pop tire store that I’ve done business with for the last 27 years and they always make things right if something pops up. These tires measure just under 32” and should fit for a street driven Scout with a 2” lift + 1” of shackle and the wheels are 15x8…kinda old school. I plan on dropping the motor and drive shafts in this weekend, but the trannys not ready. Can you install the engine with a brace under the rear? I really need the shop room!
Thanks, Rut

Perdido

Binder Driver
I am in no hurry with that part of my build, still working on rust eradication, haha. shoot me a message when you head to north Georgia and i will meet you somewhere if thats good with you. Thanks!
Randy said about 3 weeks for the roll bar, so once he calls I’ll map out an itinerary and let you know.
Rut

mongocanfly

Y-Block King
I've run ratchet straps over the frame rails and under the oil pans to balance engines in place before..
My tire store guy said they had several yrs of production issues ...it got so bad he quit selling bfgs for a couple yrs..hopefully they're past that now....suprisingly those tires do very well in mud..

Jeff W

Farmall Cub

J.J.

I've run ratchet straps over the frame rails and under the oil pans to balance engines in place before..
My tire store guy said they had several yrs of production issues ...it got so bad he quit selling bfgs for a couple yrs..hopefully they're past that now....suprisingly those tires do very well in mud..
WOW THAT LOOKS REALLY REALLY NICE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

x2, Ive done the same thing with the straps. Of course, you don't want to spoil that beautiful black paint! I too quit running the BFGs on my 200, now have Truxxus Boggers on it. I had several of them where the tread literally came away from the tire, and I had purchased them new too. I always check my air pressure and take care of the truck. I too had heard they had a bad run with them so I hope that yours will do better than mine did. The tread peeled away so clean it almost looked like a recap. Really weird.

JJ in TN

Perdido

Binder Driver
Frame looks great!...You probably mentioned it, but what did you paint it with?
Jeff,
Sandblasted, 3 coats of epoxy primer followed by 3 coats of 2 part urethane. It’s very tough stuff and I’m having to clean some areas where parts fit together because it’s pretty thick.
Rut

Perdido

Binder Driver
WOW THAT LOOKS REALLY REALLY NICE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

x2, Ive done the same thing with the straps. Of course, you don't want to spoil that beautiful black paint! I too quit running the BFGs on my 200, now have Truxxus Boggers on it. I had several of them where the tread literally came away from the tire, and I had purchased them new too. I always check my air pressure and take care of the truck. I too had heard they had a bad run with them so I hope that yours will do better than mine did. The tread peeled away so clean it almost looked like a recap. Really weird.

JJ in TN
Greg & JJ,
Thanks and I’ll keep an eye out for any funny tire stuff. My GMC Sierra had 275x20 Nitto Grapplers on it and it was a GM upgrade with something like a 1-2” lift. I just ditched them because wet weather performance was scary! The straw that broke the camels back was about a month ago when I was stopping behind some cars at a red light, pretty much low speed in the rain and the truck slid almost to the bumper of the car in front of me, full of kids. It would also spin the rear tires with just a little gas (6.2 LS) which was fun at times, but got scary if I wasn’t the driver. I now have a set of Michelin’s in the same size…it’s an M+S tire that really sticks in the wet, but damn pricey. I gave the old tires away since they still had most of the tread.
Rut

MrKenmore

Frame looks awesome!!! I have Michelin Defender LTX M/S on both my IH's. Nice tire. I'll likely put them on my 2017 Ram as well.