BinderPlanet.com

Welcome to BinderPlanet.com the World's Premier IH Website.

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

318 swap keep my tranny?

Friends of BinderPlanet Facebook Group

PrjctMonsterScout

Farmall Cub
Hey guys, new here
So I've picked up a 1979 Scout II with the 4 cylinder and the 3 speed manual. The 4 cylinder needs to be taken out, stripped down and given a full rebuild. It was running, but it's been sitting in a field for 4 years, and the p.o. did all sorts of crazy wiring to it. I've got a 5.2 (318) out of a 2nd gen dodge pickup, with low miles that runs great. I'm wondering, is it possible for me to affix my 5.2 to the 3 speed in my scout currently?

scout2000

Lives in an IH Dealership
What transmission is in your Scout 2 now?

T90? 727? something else?

mallen

Dreams of Cub Cadets
Hey guys, new here
So I've picked up a 1979 Scout II with the 4 cylinder and the 3 speed manual. The 4 cylinder needs to be taken out, stripped down and given a full rebuild. It was running, but it's been sitting in a field for 4 years, and the p.o. did all sorts of crazy wiring to it. I've got a 5.2 (318) out of a 2nd gen dodge pickup, with low miles that runs great. I'm wondering, is it possible for me to affix my 5.2 to the 3 speed in my scout currently?
Why? If your going to all the trouble to put a 318 in, why not go with a better tranny. Maybe some sort of 5 speed with a overdrive.

But honestly, why not fix the wiring. You have to fix the wiring no matter WHAT you do. And honestly, fixing the wiring should be trivial. It should take a few hours. Get the schematic from the service manual.anf put it back the way it came from the factory, replacing any damged parts or missing parts. Ask on here if you need any pieces to splice in, or buy new ones (the connectors are available). Then it should work. If fixing the wiring is black magic to you, getting the engine swap to work is going to be even worse.

Darrel

3 speed manual trans in a 1979 Scout? IH's have an unique bolt pattern that only works with IH motors. Agree with Mallen OD trans is the way to go. LS motor even better.

PrjctMonsterScout

Farmall Cub
The 4 cylinder was running. The guy I bought it from had no idea what he had, told me it was a slant 6 with a 5 speed when I rang him up, only for me to explain that it was a slant 4 with a 3 speed. He had said it popped a fuel line. I found the fuel line (old piece of air hose tubing) and plugged it on, vaccumed out the carb of acorns and pine needles, and sprayed some ether, and it fired up. Ran for a few minutes, but the clutch was acting funny/not letting me move in gear for more than 20 yards. Ran in reverse a lot better but still struggled. A buddy played with the carb and the distributer since then and now it doesn't run, just turns. I was thinking about taking the 318, putting a 2 or a 4 barrel on it, and dropping it in just for the added power. Now begs the question, if I bolt a 5 speed from a ram or a dakota or something, will that work with the transfer case? Being a 79 I believe it's the dana 20. Or am I looking at the full engine trans transfer case swap with a custom driveshaft? If y'all believe I should be keeping the 4, how do I get better road speed? I know they make 2 barrel adapters, or maybe a smaller turbo? I've read on here that these 4s have a low compression ratio in the 8s range? I'm open to keeping it but I don't want to keep the 4 if it's going to be a b*tch to get running and keep running, or not have enough power to get around on its 33s and pull a camper from time to time. I'm in Mass and our weather is... Unpredictable to say the least.

Sozzy

Binder Driver
I like the idea of a 318. More than an LS.... Barf. You could probably find an adapter for the trans to work, but as stated earlier, an OD trans would be the way to go.

scout2000

So transmission wise, I'm not a S2 guy, so someone correct me if they know different here, but......

Referencing Jim's Scout Encyclopedia, page 178, shows that that the following transmissions were available behind the IH 196 CID 4-cyl engine:

T-332 3 speed manual
T-427 4 speed manual
T-428 automatic transmission

scout2000

I like the idea of a 318. More than an LS.... Barf. You could probably find an adapter for the trans to work, but as stated earlier, an OD trans would be the way to go.

I realize that I'm at least the 3rd person to comment on this, but definitely, if you plan to spend any time on the highway at 70 MPH+, I would also highly and strongly recommend an OD transmission, be it an automatic or manual.

PrjctMonsterScout

Farmall Cub
Alright, definitely going with an overdrive setup if the v8 is the way to go, is that the consensus on how to get more grunt? I dont know anything about the runnings of the 4 banger. I haven't checked into what tranny is underneath there, just what I've found on here. From what I read I thought it was the t15 or t150 when used in FSJ Jeeps. Will the transfer case bolt to a 5 speed off a 318? Likely the NV3500, there's a few around here in rotted out late 90s rams. If I pull the motor and trans I'll probably fix it up and put it in my old 30s chevy doodlebug and make it run again.

mongocanfly

High Wheeler
Almost any store bought adapters will be alot of $$$... if your set on changing out the engine youd be money ahead to swap out the engine/trans/transfer case as a complete unit from a donor....
having done a variety of engine/trans swaps that wernt factory setups, over the yrs into different vehicles, I can say trying to adapt (this to that) ain't cheap....when it wasn't designed to mate up
Where you run into difficulty is going late model engine /trans and keeping pass side transfer case..

Another thing to keep in mind if going with a od trans is axle ratios and tire size...it all affects rpm operating range at highway speeds....it all needs to work together...

Last edited:

mallen

Dreams of Cub Cadets
The 4 cylinder was running. The guy I bought it from had no idea what he had, told me it was a slant 6 with a 5 speed when I rang him up, only for me to explain that it was a slant 4 with a 3 speed. He had said it popped a fuel line. I found the fuel line (old piece of air hose tubing) and plugged it on, vaccumed out the carb of acorns and pine needles, and sprayed some ether, and it fired up. Ran for a few minutes, but the clutch was acting funny/not letting me move in gear for more than 20 yards. Ran in reverse a lot better but still struggled. A buddy played with the carb and the distributer since then and now it doesn't run, just turns. I was thinking about taking the 318, putting a 2 or a 4 barrel on it, and dropping it in just for the added power. Now begs the question, if I bolt a 5 speed from a ram or a dakota or something, will that work with the transfer case? Being a 79 I believe it's the dana 20. Or am I looking at the full engine trans transfer case swap with a custom driveshaft? If y'all believe I should be keeping the 4, how do I get better road speed? I know they make 2 barrel adapters, or maybe a smaller turbo? I've read on here that these 4s have a low compression ratio in the 8s range? I'm open to keeping it but I don't want to keep the 4 if it's going to be a b*tch to get running and keep running, or not have enough power to get around on its 33s and pull a camper from time to time. I'm in Mass and our weather is... Unpredictable to say the least.
Start by undoing whatever your friend did and getting the motor running again. The transfer case, and transmission are married together so you need a arrived transmission and transfer case. Its going to be a massive amount of work and you will be fiddling with it for the next year or two to make it a work right. You have now proved you have a running motor. Once you get it running, THEN you can assess what you want in upgrades.

A friend in highschool had a scout with a 4 cylinder. It wasn't fast but it drove fine on the highway. It is what it is. If you want a lot of power, go down to the stealership and buy a new truck. You will come out ahead on money.

scout2000

If you want a lot of power, go down to the stealership and buy a new truck. You will come out ahead on money.

:)

Is there anything about Binder ownership that reflects smart money management?

I've dumped so much money into my 800a, I could never afford to sell it, probably even if I live another 50 years. I'm currently trying to figure out how I can be buried in it.

mallen

Dreams of Cub Cadets
:)

Is there anything about Binder ownership that reflects smart money management?

I've dumped so much money into my 800a, I could never afford to sell it, probably even if I live another 50 years. I'm currently trying to figure out how I can be buried in it.
Ok, you've got me there.

Darrel

IH transfer cases have an unique "texas" bolt pattern. I had one of those 5.2Ls in a Dakota. Horrible gas mileage. Not worth the hassle and expensive of a swap imo when LS motors are so common and dirt cheap. I get that you have the 5.2 on hand, but you can always sell it and put the money towards something better. Now whether a swap is a worth it at all depends on what you'll use it for and how much use you'll get out of it. Cruising beaches with a 4 cyl is fine. Taking long trips loaded heavy, pulling grades, pulling a small trailer not so much.

holyrider

Farmall Cub
I vote for the 318. Mainly because it's different, 2nd because I am a Mopar fan at heart. 3rd because I am really tired of Cebby motors being put in everything from Model Ts to Lamborgini replicas. Enough is enough. GO MOPAR!!! I came very close to swapping a pre-66 polyspherical 318 into my t'ette. Only reason I didn't was I was given a 345 for free. I agree that simplest would be to find a mopar tranny/transfer to swap in with the engine. Should be able to find something fairly cheap. Not sure when Dodge quit making pass side transfer drops, but I have a 98 1500 that is pass side drop. We used to have a 95 Dakota 318/5-spd/4x4 that had great power & 20mpg.
Good Luck and remember, it's your scout - do what you want with it!!!

scout2000

IH transfer cases have an unique "texas" bolt pattern. I had one of those 5.2Ls in a Dakota. Horrible gas mileage. Not worth the hassle and expensive of a swap imo when LS motors are so common and dirt cheap. I get that you have the 5.2 on hand, but you can always sell it and put the money towards something better. Now whether a swap is a worth it at all depends on what you'll use it for and how much use you'll get out of it. Cruising beaches with a 4 cyl is fine. Taking long trips loaded heavy, pulling grades, pulling a small trailer not so much.

+1 Darrel, I think that yours is a great post.

There's been some extra 'LS swap' hate posts on the forum as of lately, and I think that is because the issue gets hit on frequently.

OTOH, the LS series engines are a great candidate for either a Scout (or S2).

They've got great longevity, 200K+ is nothing with just the bare minimum of care is extremely common place.
For the most part, there aren't any leak issues.
Typically, it's a big power increase over what was originally installed.
There are ton's of donors available in wrecking yards, and no one wants the smaller sizes (4.8 or 5.3), so unless there is something special about it, they are typically available extremely cheap.
Significantly lighter
Great fuel economy for the smaller engines

Absolutely, I've seen Ford Coyote swaps and Chrysler/Dodge (new) Hemi swaps, and those are also great modern engines. They are just not as common place and available so cheaply, as the LS series engines.

Long term, I would still like to be with one of the newer diesels, V6 Fiat/Chrysler/Jeep turbo diesel's, or that new inline 4 Cummins. Nope, got talked out of the 4BT "Paint Shaker" engine early on. But still, my LS swap has been a great move for me, and I've been very happy with that decision overall.

PrjctMonsterScout

Farmall Cub
Well guys, I've been playing with the scout on ajd off for about a week now, and it's safe to say whatever he did to my distributer cap and carb is beyond me. I remember him taking the cap off, playing around with everything inside, and then tinerking with linkages on the carb. It turns and turns and it sputters like it wants to start but it just won't go. While I've been playing with this I remembered my dads old 86 350 Ford with an IDI 6.9 and a 4 speed sitting about half an hour away. That's an international motor if I'm not mistaken, and an IDI would have more than enough grunt to take care of the Scout's duties pulling a camper trailer. With a banks turbo should have some highway capability, along with the 4k lbs drop from the plow truck it was in. What do y'all think about that for a swap? I'm gonna keep playing with the distributer and hope I can get it to work but I'm still in fear of the 4 cylinder not performing with the trailer or If I decide to hit some trails with it instead of my jeep. Also running 33s or 35s is it going to hold up?