1978 Scout II New To Me Project

Discussion in 'Binder Builds' started by Gioscout2, Jan 2, 2020.

1. J.J.

J.J. Lives in an IH Dealership

Heck yes, that is a good plan. No sense to wait on them. The vendor I mean.

JJ in TN

2. Arkansas Dave

Arkansas Dave High Wheeler

Any new progress the axles look really good i have to do mine before long those look factory fresh.

AD

3. Gioscout2

Gioscout2 Farmall Cub

Thanks Dave, they came out better than expected, and was nice not to find any damage on the important parts either. Have to wait for some back orders on some grade 8 bolts for the springs, probably wont see my U-bolts till the new year.

4. Gioscout2

Gioscout2 Farmall Cub

Doing some odds and ends while in limbo on other parts. Just picking some random things to do. So I decided to start working the center console an original piece, for now its just sanded down and primed. I had an extra lid that just needed some repair under where the latch locks in, I will get pics of this later not sure why I didn't take any at the time, cause I always do. I popped out the ash tray in the back of it and found what I thought was a steel washer but then when I cleaned it this is what I found.
    coin.jpg
    For the Canucks here, they know what it is, for everyone else its a Canadian quarter, and what makes this a bit special is the year 1978, found in my 1978 Scout II, that was cool to find.

MrKenmore, Higgy and Arkansas Dave like this.
  5. Gioscout2

Gioscout2 Farmall Cub

Now to move on, got on to the small project of making my on Tie rod. Got me some DOM tube, 1" ID X .25 wall thickness , OD 1.5"
    1 LH thread weld tube end
    1 RH thread weld tube end, both 3/4 -16.
    1 LH thread ES150L tie rod end
    1 RH thread ES150R tie rod end
    1 LH jam nut
    1 RH jam nut
    Measured everything up, cut to length not forgetting to include the weld tube end when I measured, welded both ends, cleaned up the welds and even put some slots on both ends of the DOM tube to be able to put a large wrench on when adjusting. Pretty much the long and short of it.
    tie rod 1.jpg
    tie rod 2.jpg
    tie rod complete.jpg
    I also plan on doing up a new Drag link with the same process.

Arkansas Dave, Perdido and Higgy like this.
  6. winchested

winchested Dreams of Cub Cadets

That's cool the only thing I found in the dash of mine was a 30-30 casing!

Higgy likes this.
  7. Gioscout2

Gioscout2 Farmall Cub

Wasn't ready to pack it in for the day, so I was looking on my parts shelf to see what else,, so I grabbed the glove box insert. I am not really sure yet on what I want to use to fab up a new one. For now I just made a cardboard pattern to stare at for a while until an idea hits me.
    If anyone has any ideas , I'm all ears.
    Glove box insert.jpg
    glove box template.jpg

MrKenmore likes this.
  8. winchested

winchested Dreams of Cub Cadets

They make plastic ones. I just cut a giant 2x6" hole in the back of mine for the ECM wiring.

9. Higgy

Higgy Farmall Cub

Nice job!! Your always staying busy.

Gioscout2 likes this.
  10. J.J.

J.J. Lives in an IH Dealership

11. Gioscout2

Gioscout2 Farmall Cub

12. Gioscout2

Gioscout2 Farmall Cub

When I'm home, not one to stay in the house and this pandemic lock down has me back down to part time at work so I am taking advantage of the time, I really don't mind.

Tarek and winchested like this.
  13. Tarek

Tarek Farmall Cub

14. Arkansas Dave

I been thinking about making one of those too, I have my old one for a template fun project for a rainy afternoon.

AD

15. Gioscout2

Gioscout2 Farmall Cub

If you do, let me know what you use to make it with, I am going to put mine back on the shelf for now until I figure out what to use or see a good idea,

16. Arkansas Dave

I will look for a link to one a friend made for his and also I had thought about making one from black color plast board since it's light weight and water resistant.

AD

Gioscout2 likes this.
  17. Gioscout2

Gioscout2 Farmall Cub

I think I may have some material to make the glove box insert, (since I'm still waiting on other parts and spending too much time on the good old web) comes from the hardware lumber store, its called Standard Hardboard panel. I can buy a 4'x8'x1/8" sheet for a whole $10.00 bucks. I might just buy it to experiment for the price. I think some fiberglassing would go along with this. This could also come in handy possibly for my door panels... hmmm, my brain just wont stop.

18. Gioscout2

Gioscout2 Farmall Cub

It's been a bit slow going lately on the Scout, still playing the waiting game. To fill the time I had another project I just started, not that I wanted to, this is off topic and not IH related. The wifey decided to get a new toy a couple weeks back, new to her, ATV 750 Brute Force Kawasaki. Well like a good husband I figured I better give it a good once over , you know clean carb, change filters and oil. The machine ran good, at least on and off the trailer. Long story short , I finished all the regular maintenance , took it for a couple of spins around the yard,, and wouldn't you know it,,, ATV came to a dead stop with a big bang. No it wasn't good ( and it wasn't anything I did regarding maintenance) Tried to pull on the pull start rope, no go that was after I tried the electric start. Anyway see for your self , I pulled the motor out of the machine, pulled the head off cylinder head.jpg and found my problem, yeah that's an exhaust valve stuck to the inside of the head, and piston is toast too. Well this little project is gonna have to wait. We thought parts for our SV IH motors were expensive, these foreign things beat that hands down.
    piston.jpg
    Back on topic, I did manage to finish of another small project, got my drag link fabbed up, pretty much the same process I did with my tie rod.
    drag link.jpg

drag link 1.jpg

MrKenmore, Higgy and winchested like this.
  19. Gioscout2

Gioscout2 Farmall Cub

Finally,,, Finally, got all my parts in to put my suspension back on the Scout,, it was almost painful having to wait so long,, but the way things are for everyone I guess it needs to be expected.
    Put on the 2" Skyjacker lift springs, and Black Maxx shocks. All hard ware to mount is new, bolts and lock nuts I used are all grade 8 and I did stick with the stock size of 7/16" but went with fine thread. I figured if the stock 7/16" lasted over 40 years I think we should be good, and I don't plan on beating the heck out of this rig. The bolts on the shackles haven't been fully tightened yet, they are snug enough so things wont move , going to torque them down once the drive train and body are back on the frame and wheels are back on.
    axle and springs.jpg
    suspension1.jpg
    suspension2.jpg

suspension3.jpg

Last edited: Jan 15, 2021
    Arkansas Dave and Higgy like this.
  20. Gioscout2

Gioscout2 Farmall Cub

I do have a question for the suspension gurus here, see the 2nd pic in this post, when putting in new springs with a lift is it common for it to be this close to the drag link, am I correct in thinking the springs are like this because they are brand new and have not had any vehicle weight put on them yet to compress?
    suspension4.jpg
    suspension clearance.jpg

Arkansas Dave and Higgy like this.