1978 Scout II New To Me Project

Discussion in 'Binder Builds' started by Gioscout2, Jan 2, 2020.

1. Gioscout2

Gioscout2 Farmall Cub

You are correct , glad I am this part of my build, all the metal work and body work can get to you, seemed like it wasn't going to end. I like the mechanical end of builds.
    Here are some pics of my Exhaust set up , the fan I used is a Confined space Air Ventilator, 12 inch Round 2 speed fan, with 1/2 enclosed motor. I also bought the exhaust hose that went with it. I got the idea from another member here. I just changed a couple things. I built a box about the same size of what six filters would take up, I used ( 25x16x4") furnace filters, there is about a 4" gap between the fan and the filters. In the back you can see I made an area where the fan goes, fits very snug to have a good seal, I used some sponge tape to help with sealing around the hole. Then I made another adapter to fit in the window where the other end of the hose goes to exhaust the filtered air out, this fan is very strong, I only used it on low speed. I also put some casters on the filter unit that way if I had to move it away from the booth I could use it in another part of the shop. This worked fantastic for me when I was in the booth.
    IMG_0673 (1).jpg
    IMG_0674.jpg
    IMG_0675.jpg

Last edited: Nov 7, 2020
    UplandHunter likes this.
  2. Darrel

Darrel Lives in an IH Dealership

That's exactly what I need thank you for sharing.

3. Gioscout2

Gioscout2 Farmall Cub

Glad to help.

Darrel likes this.
  4. Gioscout2

Gioscout2 Farmall Cub

So I decided that on the weekend I would set some time aside and go for a 45 min ride to a performance shop I know about. I wanted to see if these guys could help me source or get parts for the next phase of my build (the engine). I went to these guys because I heard they did alot of engines. Well not so, they only order parts for engines if you know what you want ( which I can do my self on-line) and mentioned they knew someone who does machine work, the guys at the counter I thought for the most part weren't very helpful. When I did ask them if they have ever dealt with IH 345 engines they looked at me like I had three eyes. Over all it really was a waste of my time and effort to even go there in the first place. I really try to give the local vendors first crack at it. I realized long time ago when I started this project that if I wanted things done I have to do it myself, it may not always be perfect but it beats paying someone for work that isn't better than mine. I am going to keep doing what I do and just ask here , at least I know someone will always have an answer here.
    Sorry guys that was my rant for the weekend.:whip:
    But I did finally get a few things done, prepped some small parts got them painted and spent a couple hours cleaning up the trans/transfer case and got that painted too,
    IMG_0685.jpg
    IMG_0695.jpg

IMG_0696.jpg

J.J., Higgy, MrKenmore and 3 others like this.
  5. winchested

winchested Dreams of Cub Cadets

Purdy! Replied to you, consensus was 220 grit, 4 1/8" dingle ball hone. But maybe call flex hone and double check. 3 7/8" bore on 345's.

6. MrKenmore

MrKenmore Dreams of Cub Cadets

No truer words have ever been spoken!!!

While you have the 727 out, consider replacing the gear selector shaft seal (if you haven't already). The other rubber one you see below is the seal for the kickdown shaft (MOPAR part number).
    20191031_200338.jpg Also consider this updated MOPAR pan gasket.
    20191012_104258.jpg
    20191012_104336.jpg

Gioscout2 and Perdido like this.
  7. Gioscout2

Gioscout2 Farmall Cub

I actually went on the flex hone site today and asked . they have a coupe they recommend, I added to my list .

8. Gioscout2

Gioscout2 Farmall Cub

That is some good advise, I doubt any of these have been changed I will change the other 2 that you mentioned also. Going to take the pan of the bottom as I want to inspect it and change filters/oil and or screens depending what it needs. I did get some tranny oil come out of the main shaft that was because I had tipped it forward when I was lifting it. Should oil come out if you tip forward ? Thanks for the part numbers too.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2020
    UplandHunter likes this.
  9. Gioscout2

Gioscout2 Farmall Cub

10. Gioscout2

Gioscout2 Farmall Cub

More shop time this weekend, Especially on Sunday, since we woke up to snow already .:thumbs down:
    Cleaned, prepped and painted more parts. Also started tearing down the front axle, removed hubs, calipers and rotors.
    IMG_0705.jpg

A bit of a mess behind the hub locks, left and right both looked like this,
    IMG_0706.jpg
    Once I removed the rest of the components, there wasn't much left of the dust shields, this is the left side, the right only had what was still behind the bolts that hold it on. These pics are the left side only.
    IMG_0708.jpg
    IMG_0709.jpg

11. Gioscout2

Gioscout2 Farmall Cub

Took the parts from both sides and put them on my work bench and started cleaning the old dirty grease out of them and gave the housings a good cleaning too. They will also get a painting . Going to add new grease before they get reinstalled.
    IMG_0712.jpg
    IMG_0713.jpg
    IMG_0714.jpg

UplandHunter and Higgy like this.
  12. Gioscout2

Gioscout2 Farmall Cub

oh yeah, the other painted parts
    IMG_0702.jpg
    IMG_0715.jpg

Higgy and MrKenmore like this.
  13. Higgy

Higgy Farmall Cub

I'm like you, can't wait to get to the mechanical stuff!

14. Kohler

Kohler Farmall Cub

Coming along great! Bet it feels good to get some paint down, the paint booth looks nice and tight.

15. BajaIH

BajaIH Farmall Cub

Darn, those dust shields were trashed!

16. Gioscout2

Gioscout2 Farmall Cub

Thanks ,Paint booth is handy, actually using it to store the primed tub and the body panels for now. Painted parts makes if feel like some things are getting done finally.

17. Gioscout2

Gioscout2 Farmall Cub

At first I thought there weren't any behind the rotors. I was able to score a pair from GRC Fab in Georgia, just have to wait for the package to get here.

J.J. likes this.
  18. J.J.

J.J. Lives in an IH Dealership

Looking good there pal! The hubs might have been my favorite part of the rebuild on mine. So simple.

JJ in TN

winchested likes this.
  19. Gioscout2

Gioscout2 Farmall Cub

This was axle weekend for me, got the front axles out and cleaned, started knocking out the old U joints. Found that the one on the passenger side was totally seized up. Not really surprised, as this truck had been sitting for a very long time .
    Just a few pics of the process, not sure if you can see in the pics but the old U joint are actually "spicer" ones. The new ones are also Spicer ones, pretty obvious.
    IMG_0719.jpg

I could barely tell there were 'C' clips still in this .
    IMG_0720.jpg
    IMG_0721.jpg

The needle bearings under this cap and pretty much all the other ones, were not existent.
    IMG_0722.jpg

20. Gioscout2

Gioscout2 Farmall Cub

Unfortunately I couldn't finish re assembly of the front axles as that one of the new U joints was bad out of the box. Good thing I always inspect my parts. As I was checking to see how smooth the caps rotated on the U joints I felt one not so smooth. Once I inspected it found that a needle bearing was missing in the cap. Of course by the time I found this the part store was closed so will have to wait for Monday for a replacement. Then I will finish re assembly, but I did finish taking both of the old U joints out of the axles, this pic only shoe one done though,
    IMG_0723.jpg