1978 Scout II New To Me Project

Discussion in 'Binder Builds' started by Gioscout2, Jan 2, 2020.

1. winchested

winchested Dreams of Cub Cadets

Great man!

2. Kohler

Kohler Farmall Cub

Something to keep in mind is that the arch fillers aren't at 90 degrees, they're angled to keep from rubbing against the quarter panel. I ended up building mine twice after I figured that part out. I'd recommend only tacking them in place then test fitting the quarter panels.
    IMG_5689.jpg

UplandHunter and TravelerMan79 like this.
  3. Gioscout2

Gioscout2 Farmall Cub

Good to know,, :cornfused:I haven't installed yet,, so gives me a chance to test fit and cut if I have to..

Kohler likes this.
  4. Gioscout2

Gioscout2 Farmall Cub

Thanks , I even impress myself sometimes,, :laugh:

5. Gioscout2

Gioscout2 Farmall Cub

I forgot to add,, my quarter panels are already on,, I didn't have to remove as the P.O already had done some work and I didn't really want to remove. It has made some of my work a bit more challenging in that area.

6. Gioscout2

Gioscout2 Farmall Cub

Hi all, back from vacation but not much work done on the scout for a bit, but I was able to score a spare windshield frame ( was shipped literally from across the country to me ) at a great price with wiper motor and wiper arms, yes it needs some work but I'm up for my next challenge.
    I did give IHonly a chance to quote on this as I did get my inner fenders ( in great shape) from them, but I couldn't see me dishing out $1000.00 US dollars on this which would be $1400.00 Canadian plus shipping for me, and I wouldn't have a spare wiper motor or assembly either.
    Once I get the paint all stripped off I'll have a better idea of what I have to fab on this..

IMG_0286.jpg
    IMG_0287.jpg
    IMG_0289.jpg

7. Gioscout2

Gioscout2 Farmall Cub

Had a chance to start cleaning up my new to me windshield frame. It's actually better than I expected once I sanded down all the filler and paint that was on it. I think who ever had this must of used a roller to paint it,, boy was it thick. Now I know what I have to work with, and most of my work will be on the right side .
    IMG_0298.jpg

IMG_0299.jpg

TravelerMan79 and Darrel like this.
  8. Gioscout2

Gioscout2 Farmall Cub

I Know I am not the only one, I am home for a bit due to all the bad things going on around the world currently with this virus so on a positive note it does give me alot of time to get more work done on my scout.
    I did get the metal work done on my windshield frame and it didn't come out half bad. I does need some refining but I am trying to leave all and any actual body filler work until I have all the metal work done on the scout.
    IMG_0308.jpg
    IMG_0309.jpg

9. Gioscout2

Gioscout2 Farmall Cub

Decided to tackle the tailgate as it was in need of some rework due to the last P.O. attempted repair. As you can see there was a whole lot of filler used to try and cover a huge rust hole. I don't normally use a hammer and chisel to remove body filler ,,:gun_bandana:
    IMG_0311.jpg
    IMG_0312.jpg
    So once I cut out this rusted area out,, I could hear there was some debris rattling inside so I used the air line to blow it out,, and this is what came out,, yes its what you think it is,, wow,, :saddam:
    IMG_0314.jpg Fast forward to the repair,,
    IMG_0318.jpg

TravelerMan79 likes this.
  10. mongocanfly

mongocanfly High Wheeler

Dope?...that's crazy....thatd be hard to explain to a police k9...
    Nice fix...

11. TorqueMonster1

TorqueMonster1 Farmall Cub

Very Nice Repair Work!! An Incredibly Productive Use Of Your Time Due To The Chinese Coronavirus!!! Mark

12. Gioscout2

Gioscout2 Farmall Cub

I have some history on my scout and only know it changed hands a few times and then some older fellow had it sitting for many years, who knows maybe the local hoodlums were using it as a hide away,,

thanks on the fix,,

13. Gioscout2

Gioscout2 Farmall Cub

Thsnks, I figured since not going to work for now I need to stay out of the house and in my shop,, as that my wife is in the Health field she has to work from home too, and trying to keep thinks somewhat normal around here :wacko:

14. Gioscout2

Gioscout2 Farmall Cub

Pushing forward, since I pretty much have the tail gate metal word done thought I would keep on working on doors, so first one is the passenger door on the hinge side,, as you can see there was definitely some work for me. I wasn't sure how I was going to tackle this mess and all the contours. So I used the other door hinge side and made a paper template to copy the contours and then flipped it over so it would match the passenger side then raced on to metal. I tried to keep it as one piece at first but I don't the tools to do that way, so I had to make it three pieces, after alot of time of cutting and banging it :hammer: ,in the end it worked out ok,,
    IMG_0322.jpg

pass door.JPG pass door fix.JPG

TravelerMan79 likes this.
  15. J.J.

J.J. Lives in an IH Dealership

I am personally glad to see your repairs. This stuff is getting harder and harder to source, and I don't throw away anything. I have kept stuff just like you have here just because someone might need it someday. When I see them, I buy them, just to keep my own fleet going and to try and help others with theirs. I, too have been sidelined due to the virus, we were told it might be June before we go back. Good thing there is plenty to do around here until then besides be a dad and husband. My wife is in health care as well, working on her doctorate in nursing. She spent many years on the floor in the NICU (she is an RN by trade), but moved into management, and now works for Press Ganey. Its best for me and my shop cat if I stay outside in the shop while she does her homework LOL.

JJ in TN

16. LTIII

LTIII Farmall Cub

Gio - excellent skills ! That door looks incredible. I bought a tailgate off a guy and cleaned it out last week, filled about a 13 gal trash bag of mice nests, hindsight not that bad vs what you had. Attached a few pic of my 79’ traveler. It needs a bunch of work but been enjoying it the past year as is. Haven’t done much, put in a aluminum radiator with tranny cooler, replaced about every seal in the suspension. Some body stuff is next. I have a truck cab roof, bulk head and windows that I will probably never use, perfect back glass for the truck cab. If you or JJ could use these, please message me. Not looking to sell them but want to see them used potentially. I’ve been told that the top was likely a Midas top, it had a Aztec print liner/cushion on it that was ruined from weather when I got it. 95460090-5F42-48CA-AF7D-69031EB2C251.jpeg 460C6791-D675-4DB8-9F54-AF6EE90FED4C.jpeg AE4BBEDD-1AA9-4436-B729-61D2EC13A272.jpeg BB348E1C-96B8-4442-8D2D-9DAC4DE159F8.jpeg

17. Gioscout2

Gioscout2 Farmall Cub

I appreciate the comments, It's been a long time since I've had to dig in this deep with metal work, on other projects I've worked on it was more on the mechanical side, but I must say I do enjoy doing fab work, even though it is very time consuming and didn't expect it to come out as good as it has been. When I started this project I told my wife I was going to do everything on it, from metal to body , mechanical and even going to try my hand in paint. When you talk about sourcing parts, it's even harder in the part of Canada that I live in. When I do find some, everyone thinks they are gold plated or something for how much they are asking for them,, yes the rarity may be part of it, but at least in the US there are still salvage yard to go look through. Anyway thanks again.

18. Gioscout2

Gioscout2 Farmall Cub

Yeah, you never know what you find when you get into a project, I sent my son the same pic he had a good laugh out of it, thanks on the offer of parts but I am good on my part for now. Even if I wanted to go on a road trip I couldn't .They have shut down our border from Canada to the US and only commercial and essential travel is allowed through ( Detroit/Windsor Border).

19. J.J.

J.J. Lives in an IH Dealership

[​IMG][​IMG]

This is how the back seat latches over the pin that you had asked me about on my build thread.

JJ in TN

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

20. Gioscout2

Gioscout2 Farmall Cub

Perfect,, now I need to look in all my part bins if I actually have those pcs,, thanks.