BinderPlanet.com

Welcome to BinderPlanet.com the World's Premier IH Website.

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

1978 Scout II New To Me Project

2021 Arizona International Harvester Rendezvous

Gioscout2

Farmall Cub
Today was a good day, my son came by and we made some good progress , the parts rack is starting to get emptied and body is now back the frame for good. It's a whole lot easier to put the windshield frame, fenders and doors back on with another set of hands no paint scratching involved. :clap: Very happy that the body lines across the body . We also got the doors adjusted for the most part. Once I get the door rubbers in there may need to be some tweaking on them. I also decided to make some new gaskets for between the roof and the body.
parts rack.jpg

body front.jpg

body rear.jpg

roof gasket.jpg

Gioscout2

Farmall Cub
Well I thought I was done with fab work but then I had this to take care of, the heater box which I didn't have. When I looked up in my stash of part that came with my scout originally I thought I had 2 of them. What I had was 2 A/C boxes that go under the dash on the passenger side so I had to call on an old contact that I had visited before to source some parts. So last week I went to the old guys farm and he let me look around at what he had still in his yard. When I first had gone to his place it was before all this Covid he had about six pretty complete scout II's, not in any good condition though. Unfortunately the one 1978 Baby blue Scout II with the Rally package was gone, it was probably one of the best for parts other than the driver side which was "t" boned, I think it only had about 73000 miles when the old guy parked it. I kick my self for not buying it, which I probably could have got for about $500.00 bucks then, oh well. Now all he has is 1980 Scout II complete , no interior and very rough shape and a couple half trucks.
Anyway back on about the heater box, so I found one in one of his wrecks, I should have taken a pic of this poor rig, only the front half was there from the windshield frame forward. Of course the hood wouldn't open and the surgery began. Once I got the hood open there she be the heater box, which took me about 5 minutes compared to about 45 mins on that fricken hood. This may have been the only good one there,
heater box 1.jpg

heater box 2.jpg

And after a little bit of work , cleaning and painting here is the new box, and the original motor still works pretty good. I will need to replace the resistor . you can see what's left of the old box.
heater box rebuild 1.jpg

heater box rebuild 2.jpg

J.J.

Lives in an IH Dealership
the old one had sure seen better days! Great build on the new one, Cyrus McCormick would never know.. HAHA

JJ in TN

Gioscout2

Farmall Cub
The saga continues,,, been wrenching away off and on this week on the scout, forgot to mention in my last post regarding the heater box, when I pulled the box from the wreck It actually still had a heater core in it. I took it to a local rad shop to see if they could do anything with it for me as it needed some welding around the hose tubes. They called me back and when they leak tested it was beyond repair as the core held water like a ladies pantie hose. It was worth a try.
Moving on, got the new aluminum rad installed with a few tiny modifications around the mounting holes. If the rad was any thicker I would have had to take the fan off. I also had the original fan shroud which looked pretty good after I cleaned it up.
rad 1.jpg

rad shroud.jpg

Cruise control/speedo thingy unit, Brake booster and new master cylinder ( which I did a bench bleed on first) all back in. Also finished the rest of the brake lines to and from the master cylinder.
brake booster.jpg

I figured while I was add it to start a new "To-do List" . It didn't take longer than a couple of minutes to almost fill the cardboard and there is still alot I haven't put on it yet. As I see things or remember going to have to keep adding, I hope I have enough cardboard. .:cornfused:
to do list.jpg

winchested

The saga continues,,, been wrenching away off and on this week on the scout, forgot to mention in my last post regarding the heater box, when I pulled the box from the wreck It actually still had a heater core in it. I took it to a local rad shop to see if they could do anything with it for me as it needed some welding around the hose tubes. They called me back and when they leak tested it was beyond repair as the core held water like a ladies pantie hose. It was worth a try.
Moving on, got the new aluminum rad installed with a few tiny modifications around the mounting holes. If the rad was any thicker I would have had to take the fan off. I also had the original fan shroud which looked pretty good after I cleaned it up.
View attachment 214144
View attachment 214145

Cruise control/speedo thingy unit, Brake booster and new master cylinder ( which I did a bench bleed on first) all back in. Also finished the rest of the brake lines to and from the master cylinder.
View attachment 214146

I figured while I was add it to start a new "To-do List" . It didn't take longer than a couple of minutes to almost fill the cardboard and there is still alot I haven't put on it yet. As I see things or remember going to have to keep adding, I hope I have enough cardboard. .:cornfused:
View attachment 214147
Reminds me I need to hand that artwork up FROM @scoutpluss!!

J.J.

Hey Gio, one thing you might want to look into. I have heard from a couple of sources that you need rubber isolators with the aluminum rad so it doesn't crack. I don't run aluminum so that is not first hand but probably worth researching.

JJ in TN

Gioscout2

Farmall Cub
Hey Gio, one thing you might want to look into. I have heard from a couple of sources that you need rubber isolators with the aluminum rad so it doesn't crack. I don't run aluminum so that is not first hand but probably worth researching.

JJ in TN
Another thing to add to my list, thanks. :wacko:

Gioscout2

Farmall Cub
Oh yeah, come to find that my windshield wiper motor, ( not the one in the pic one I already installed and have to remove again) is missing the clip that holds the arm that drives the wipers. With some help from J.J of a pic of what it looked like, I was able to come up with something that may work. Once I put in on the actual motor I am using I will pinch it a bit tighter.
wiper clip 1.jpg

wiper clip 2.jpg

Gioscout2

Farmall Cub
It sure helps when you have a helping hand,, after my son and I took the bikes out this morning for a coffee and some lunch he came back to my place and gave me a hand so I could get another item off the list. The Windshield is in. I was able to reuse the seal that was on the original frame after a bit of soaking in some very hot water with some cleaner and dish soap, the rubber was in great shape. It is the older style so I will have to get a locking strip. It wasn't that bad to put in, you just have to take your time and use plenty of soapy water. I did use some rope and and a couple of those specialty non marring trim tools. The glass in the old frame was cracked but I was lucky to get 2 spare windshield glass with the parts when I first got the scout. So I still have a spare windshield and seal, sorry guys, just in case someone asks I am keeping both, it's to hard to get parts around here. That's sonny boy on glass duty after we layered it with finger prints.

windshield install.jpg

J.J.

I know someone that had the same situation you are in re: the locking strip and the install. He literally drove it down to a large truck stop to where they service the big rigs and asked around. Same strip as on some of the Petes etc. They turned him onto who did their glass work, he wasn't far away from the truck stop, and everyone enjoyed seeing the old Scout so they helped him out. Glass guy had the channel and knocked it out on his lunch break for my buddy and all is cost him was a 12 pack, or a flat as they would say in your land eh?

JJ in TN

Gioscout2

Farmall Cub
I know someone that had the same situation you are in re: the locking strip and the install. He literally drove it down to a large truck stop to where they service the big rigs and asked around. Same strip as on some of the Petes etc. They turned him onto who did their glass work, he wasn't far away from the truck stop, and everyone enjoyed seeing the old Scout so they helped him out. Glass guy had the channel and knocked it out on his lunch break for my buddy and all is cost him was a 12 pack, or a flat as they would say in your land eh?

JJ in TN
I had tried our local Glass guy but he didn't have any of the right size. I know that some of the early GM trucks used the same thing. We do have a IH heavy truck dealer in town so I may see if they can help , if not good old Rock Auto shows some in stock, only thing is they show the fake chrome I would prefer just black, mtf.

Gioscout2

Farmall Cub
Had some parts arrive that I ordered. My new heater core, the resistor , spark plugs , plug wires and my windshield locking strip. I got the heater core back in the heater box but couldn't mount on the Scout as there are no retaining clips for the bolts. I didn't realize I had missed putting some in before I painted the inner fenders. I usually like to weld nuts on the back so I may have to cover things up as some welding may be involved. I did get the spark plugs in, they are NGK Iridium, I run NGK in all my vehicles have been for a long time and they have treated me good. Through out the week I have been cleaning these things up, the wheels . They are original wheels for the IH and while I was cleaning found the factory stamp on them "IHC" 15x8 and year was 1977. Two of the four were in pretty rough shape the other two not so bad. Took a few hours with the wire wheel and my small sand blasting gun and more hand sanding after that and they came out pretty good was mainly surface rust and there were not damaged areas. Only took a couple of pics, here is before and after.
wheel 1.jpg

wheel 2.jpg

IHC wheel stamp.jpg

wheel stamp.jpg

wheels painted.jpg

Gioscout2

Farmall Cub
So while I was finishing up with the last wheel yesterday late after dinner and putting my tools away for the night , the Misses came out to the shop and asked if she could back her Jeep up to the shop door as she had something she wanted me to get out of it for her. Of course I was thinking now what did you buy, had no clue of what it was. Well to my surprise and I mean surprise it was actually for me, take a look,
Welder1.jpg

Welder.jpg

Quick back story on this,, the welder that I did have was on loan from a buddy who was storing at my shop as that his shop was not ready. The day finally came about 2 weeks ago were he was ready to pick it up and take it home. I had done about 90% of the welding on my Scout with his welder , I was sad to see it go. He did say I could borrow it again once he was done a small project he needed for. That's when I said well I guess I will have to wait for any welding for a bit. So I thought,,,,:clap::clap:

winchested

So while I was finishing up with the last wheel yesterday late after dinner and putting my tools away for the night , the Misses came out to the shop and asked if she could back her Jeep up to the shop door as she had something she wanted me to get out of it for her. Of course I was thinking now what did you buy, had no clue of what it was. Well to my surprise and I mean surprise it was actually for me, take a look,
View attachment 214740
View attachment 214739
Quick back story on this,, the welder that I did have was on loan from a buddy who was storing at my shop as that his shop was not ready. The day finally came about 2 weeks ago were he was ready to pick it up and take it home. I had done about 90% of the welding on my Scout with his welder , I was sad to see it go. He did say I could borrow it again once he was done a small project he needed for. That's when I said well I guess I will have to wait for any welding for a bit. So I thought,,,,:clap::clap:
Whoo hoo! That's the one I have. The fan sucks in the winter it sticks. But other than that it's pretty great.

My only complaint is I've over heated the thermal switch many times welding heavy beads on axles etc. But it welds fantasticly.

Mostly run 35 thou 70S6 Hobart or Lincoln. Have run the 35 thou princessauto flux core wire on 10 lb reels and it's nice for outdoor welding.

Running 20 or 25 is great too at low amps for sheet metal.

Great addition to the shop. I Litterally use mine all the time now for odd jobs.

Gioscout2

Farmall Cub
Whoo hoo! That's the one I have. The fan sucks in the winter it sticks. But other than that it's pretty great.

My only complaint is I've over heated the thermal switch many times welding heavy beads on axles etc. But it welds fantasticly.

Mostly run 35 thou 70S6 Hobart or Lincoln. Have run the 35 thou princessauto flux core wire on 10 lb reels and it's nice for outdoor welding.

Running 20 or 25 is great too at low amps for sheet metal.

Great addition to the shop. I Litterally use mine all the time now for odd job
That is good to hear, not to worried about winter I always have my heat on in the shop for that. I usually use gas when welding but since I have the flux core I will use that too. Was nice to get the bonus kit for the price. I would have been lost with out a welder.