BinderPlanet.com

Welcome to BinderPlanet.com the World's Premier IH Website.

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

1978 Scout II New To Me Project

Binder TV

Gioscout2

Farmall Cub
I'm trying to get mine running for our show.. It will still be rusted and look like 'well a 40+ drama queen' but no worries.. Remember some of us just luv to see another IH . We care more about that its an IH and what it may or may not have than if its got a ceramic glass coated baby arse paint job.. Hopefully a IH lover newbie will be born out of the youth attending.. and as long as it gets us back home .. FANTASTIC Day !!
Our plan is to hopefully come out to some of those shows, and maybe by the time its done our border will be open,:scout:

Gioscout2

Farmall Cub
Finally was able to finish up paint on the top, our weather has been so humid the last couple of weeks was hard to get a good day to paint, I was able to get a day to do the top part early last week and today I was able to get the second colour on the sides of the top. I also got the lift gate painted and some interior panels. Over all I used up a gallon and a quart of the Rallye Gold and almost 3/4 of a quart for the Medium Gray ( its a newer International colour used on the Fleet trucks) and just about a gallon of clear.
Roof sealer.jpg

roof painted.jpg

roof Rt.jpg

roof Lt.jpg

side panels.jpg

lift gate and panels.jpg

Gioscout2

Farmall Cub
Almost done with playing around with the body parts. I was able to get the inside of the tub coated with the bed liner today. At first I was only going to do the back cargo area but since it I had enough bed liner if figured what the heck, so I did the passenger area too. It should help a bit more with sound deadening since I have under the whole tub done too.
Next stage of the build is to get the motor and tranny married back together and in the frame for the final time.
tub bedliner rearview.jpg

tub bedliner sideview.jpg

tg bedliner.jpg

Gioscout2

Farmall Cub
Got this done today,, motor and tranny put together a couple times. Had a little bit of an issue when I was trying to line up the flex plate to the torque convertor. I didn't realize there is a certain way the holes on the flex plate and torque convertor have to line up so I disconnect the tranny again from the motor took off the flex plate and lined it up to the proper holes on the torque convertor and this time I marked 2 of the holes so I knew where it would line up. Once that was sorted out things got rolling again.
I think my engine stand actually said thankyou once I lifted the motor off of it. This is how I went about getting my motor and tranny back in the frame, sure beats using my engine hoist.
Now I am waiting on some hardware for the exhaust manifolds and then hopefully I can start mocking up some exhaust.
engine install 1.jpg

engine install 2.jpg

engine install 3.jpg

engine and tranny install.jpg

Lars-S

Binder Driver
motor and tranny put together a couple times. Had a little bit of an issue when I was trying to line up the flex plate to the torque convertor. I didn't realize there is a certain way the holes on the flex plate and torque convertor have to line up so I disconnect the tranny again from the motor took off the flex plate and lined it up to the proper holes on the torque convertor and this time I marked 2 of the holes so I knew where it would line up.
Its to make sure the balancing weights are in correct location either on plate or relative to flywheel/converter.

Gioscout2

Farmall Cub
Not much has happened lately,, been busy working with a friend of mine on other side projects. However today I was able to get the exhaust mocked up, it is 21/4" regular steel from the manifolds right to the mufflers which I will clean and paint for now . Eventually I will have a shop do up some stainless pipe to replace it , but I am going with Magna Flow stainless steel mufflers which are on backorder of course, so I improvised and made some custom light weight highly flammable cbc mufflers,(card board cut outs). Once the mufflers make it, then I will cut the pipe to the length I need which will leave me enough to make some down spouts. I might drop them down just before the rear axle but going to wait and see how much clearance I have once the gas tank is in, then maybe have the spouts go just past the rear axle. For now undecided.
exhaust 1.jpg

exhaust 2.jpg

J.J.

Lives in an IH Dealership
Did you have to do anything with your pipe on the passenger side between the frame and the transfer case? Its awfully tight in there, stock there was a dimple in the pipe for that area.

JJ in TN

Gioscout2

Farmall Cub
Yeah, I cut of a bit of the tab on the side of the transfer case, but not to much that it removed the 2 extra hole on the tab. Also going to relocate the pipe hanger that would be right where I have a joint in the pipe on the right side. What are the two extra holes for anyway on the right side of the transfer case?

J.J.

Lives in an IH Dealership
Yeah, I cut of a bit of the tab on the side of the transfer case, but not to much that it removed the 2 extra hole on the tab. Also going to relocate the pipe hanger that would be right where I have a joint in the pipe on the right side. What are the two extra holes for anyway on the right side of the transfer case?

Probably a jeep application would be my guess. I did the same thing on my 76, no other way around it. Doesn’t affect the integrity any.

JJ in TN

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Perdido

Binder Driver
What purpose does the D20 flange on the passenger side serve? If it’s not a necessary part for a Scout II I plan on cutting it off.
Rut

Lars-S

Binder Driver
What purpose does the D20 flange on the passenger side serve?
Do not know, nor if it is necessary, however another question is 'can I use it for something'? I mention this because when I was looking at the flanges and studs on the 46re extension along with the Dana 300 adaption I was thinking can I use any of them for exhaust brackets / hangers.. just an alternate FYI

Perdido

Binder Driver
Probably a jeep application would be my guess. I did the same thing on my 76, no other way around it. Doesn’t affect the integrity any.

JJ in TN

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Well, if I could read and comprehend better I would know the answer to my question! I pulled out the trusty Evolution saw and whacked that puppy off…got more room for the exhaust!
Rut
1A5779D1-FEF8-416F-B053-A6461A82A23E.jpeg
45B81B67-9EF8-4858-8651-684645590565.jpeg

Gioscout2

Farmall Cub
Well, if I could read and comprehend better I would know the answer to my question! I pulled out the trusty Evolution saw and whacked that puppy off…got more room for the exhaust!
Rut View attachment 212930 View attachment 212931
A friend of mine told me that back in the day on some older GM truck transfer cases they were able to adapt a PTO drive to the cases so our cases may be similar and those tabs could have been used as mounting holes.