BinderPlanet.com

Welcome to BinderPlanet.com the World's Premier IH Website.

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

1978 Scout II New To Me Project

Binder TV

Arkansas Dave

High Wheeler
Body work looks good, I am about to start on mine also most of my supplies came in but the rest will be here Tuesday looks like yours is coming along nice.

Dave

Gioscout2

Farmall Cub
Body work looks good, I am about to start on mine also most of my supplies came in but the rest will be here Tuesday looks like yours is coming along nice.

Dave
Thanks, had my boy come over tonight to give me a hand to start tearing it down again, roof and doors off, still need to pull windshield frame, and hopefully I will have the tub off the frame again and back on the dolly for the last time , a bit more body work and then put a plan together for final sanding of everything.

Gioscout2

Farmall Cub
Getting closer,
Well final sanding on the body and other panels finally done over the past couple of weeks. I was a bit worried on how the doors were going to come out but I got them dialed in pretty good. Even had a chance to clean up the shop and give it a good wash down. For a while everything was covered in some form of sanding dust.
Today I was home so I went to the my local parts/paint store to get a quote on all that I may need to get to paint. Plan is to give a coat of sealer, minimum of 2 coats of base ( maybe 3 depending on coverage) and the same with Clear coat. We have our main colour picked ( Rallye Gold, IH paint code 4416) the wifey and I now trying to get the right shade of charcoal or dark grey picked, hard part is to find one that is non-metalic. I am going to do the hard top a 2 tone, from drip rail up on roof will be body colour and around window area and lift gate will be grey.

final sand 1.jpg

final sand 2.jpg

final sand 3.jpg

final sand 4.jpg

final sand 5.jpg

Attachments

• final sand 3.jpg
    final sand 3.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 16
  • final sand 4.jpg
    final sand 4.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 15

Gioscout2

Farmall Cub
Wow Gio that truck has sure come an awful long ways!!

JJ in TN

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks.
yeah slowly but surely. Getting help from me, myself and I can be challenging some times :sweatdrop:,, and if I don't have to do body work for a while it wont break my heart.

Gioscout2

Farmall Cub
And another step closer to paint. Today I prepped and gravel guarded the bottom of the doors, fenders and tub. I was debating on whether or not to do it, but it's on now and no going back. The product I chose is paintable and had a choice between off white or black. Obviously picking white as it will be easier to cover the colour with sealer and paint.
Now that this is done, getting anxious to paint :yes:
stone guard prep.jpg

gravel guard doors.jpg

gravel guard fenders.jpg

gravel guard tub.jpg

Higgy

Farmall Cub
Why the hell am I not getting updates on my watched threads?! Thought you were taking a break lol, guess not!! Keep it up!!

Lars1974

Farmall Cub
This is exciting stuff - will be great when done (I’d say it’s great now!).

Can you share what tools / processes you used in the sanding and bodywork process? I’m nowhere near having to do that yet, but I also don’t know anything about it.

Gioscout2

Farmall Cub
Why the hell am I not getting updates on my watched threads?! Thought you were taking a break lol, guess not!! Keep it up!!
I know what you mean about the updates on the watched threads, I've noticed they seem delayed at time.
I Don't plan on taking a break,, lol. I've got more time on my hands as of last week I am officially only working part-time,(my choice)

Gioscout2

Farmall Cub
This is exciting stuff - will be great when done (I’d say it’s great now!).

Can you share what tools / processes you used in the sanding and bodywork process? I’m nowhere near having to do that yet, but I also don’t know anything about it.

Thanks Lars when I get a chance I will take a couple of pics of the tools I used. As for the processes related to the bodywork, I can tell you one thing for sure it was alot of man hours and be prepared to have everything covered in sanding dust. I will try to expand on them too but if there is something specific just ask and I will explain what I did.

Gioscout2

Farmall Cub
YEAH HA...
Camped out pretty much the whole day in the shop yesterday,, but for good reason. After 10 hours in the booth, it's done...There are a couple things that I am not to happy with but as this is really my first time to paint a whole vehicle I have seen other jobs people pay for that didn't look this good. I had one run in the clear on the glove box door, I hung it in a bad spot so I will redo it once I get to the roof as I only had so much room in the booth.
The processes was first wash down all the body parts with soap and water then a foam glass cleaner and final clean with a grease and wax remover, maybe a bit over kill but prep is everything. The last thing was to run a tack cloth on all the panels just before spraying. I tacked in between each coat.
I sprayed 1 coat of sealer, 3 coats of base ( 1978 Rallye Gold factory colour, wifey's choice) and 2 coats of clear. Process was long as I did the whole thing alone. The exhaust system definitely got a work out as it ran for a good 14 hours.

Sealer.
sealer.jpg

First coat
First coat.jpg

Final 3rd coat
Third coat1.jpg

Third coat2.jpg

Third coat3.jpg

roguemustang

Farmall Cub
Lookin' good! I love the spray booth setup. When I painted my '56 Ford, I had to find a calm day and do it outside!

Gioscout2

Farmall Cub
Thanks everyone,, well after a day of staying out of the shop I had to go back in today to take a closer look, and you all know we are our own worst critic. So in saying that there are couple of areas that are so so, some orange peel here and there. If I have enough paint and clear left over once I am done the roof I may redo the hood the clear on in has a couple of light spots on it and the more I look at well you know..:censored:. I have to keep reminding my self that this is going to be driver and not a show queen and was my first real full paint job, but I will definitely take it out to some car shows some day.:wacko:

Lars-S

Binder Driver
I will definitely take it out to some car shows some day.:wacko:
I'm trying to get mine running for our show.. It will still be rusted and look like 'well a 40+ drama queen' but no worries.. Remember some of us just luv to see another IH . We care more about that its an IH and what it may or may not have than if its got a ceramic glass coated baby arse paint job.. Hopefully a IH lover newbie will be born out of the youth attending.. and as long as it gets us back home .. FANTASTIC Day !!