BinderPlanet.com

Welcome to BinderPlanet.com the World's Premier IH Website.

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

1978 Scout II New To Me Project

Friends of BinderPlanet Facebook Group

Gioscout2

Farmall Cub
Hi all, I have been reading and reviewing allot of the amazing information on this site, feels like my head is about to explode at times with all the info. Anyway,
I am new to owning a Scout but not new to rebuilding classics. A long time ago I also worked for IH assembly plant in Canada, we weren't building Scouts only the Heavy stuff when I was there. I had told my wife that one day that the Scout II would be on my build list and finally came across one. I asked my wife if she wanted to go on a 1 day road trip and off we went . We drove about five hours to check this out and fortunately we made the deal so I rented a Uhaul trailer and brought it home,We have a 1978 4X4 with the 345 I haven't confirmed the trans but I think it is the 727 auto with factory air. Here are a couple of pics of how we loaded this 6200 lbs beast.
When you don't have a winch this is what you do :no:
image1.jpeg
image2.jpeg
image4.jpeg

IMG_0143.jpg

Made it back home and unloaded the next morning in my shop . No it did not run, used more ratchet straps to unload.
I will add more pics as I have already started to tear it down.

Gioscout2

Farmall Cub
here we go,,

Attachments

• IMG_0187.jpg
    IMG_0187.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 235
  • IMG_0191.jpg
    IMG_0191.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 233
  • IMG_0197.jpg
    IMG_0197.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 194

Gioscout2

Farmall Cub
Thats great, Where do you live? Im down in Delhi.
Essex half hour south of Windsor , forgot to mention along with all the parts, the PO left me a lot of work to redo,,along with the unfinished . but again it wouldn't be a project if there wasn't work to do.

winchested

Lives in an IH Dealership
Well if I ever get insurance this spring summer and you want a guest I can drive down and give ya a hand. With anything but body work.

Gioscout2

Farmall Cub
Got some work done, I'm no metal pro but the wheel well didn't come out to bad, still needs some refining though. It did test my patience with some of the welding, still trying to get back in the groove with the mig welder. I even made my own slip roller so I could make some clean curves.1 down 1 more to go :hammer:

IMG_0225.jpg
IMG_0228.jpg
IMG_0229.jpg
IMG_0223.jpg

Gioscout2

Farmall Cub
Got some more work done, 2nd wheel well done, not to concerned on them being perfect and I am probably going to spray bed liner in the back . But they did come out better than I expected, :clap: next step is to see what else I have to fab up and weld before the wells go back in, getting back in the groove with the mig welder.
IMG_0234.jpg

MrKenmore

Lives in an IH Dealership
I spy Concord Blue paint!!! I suppose that was the original color. What are your color plans? It's a nice color. 1978 and 1980 only.

Gioscout2

Farmall Cub
I spy Concord Blue paint!!! I suppose that was the original color. What are your color plans? It's a nice color. 1978 and 1980 only.
Actually kinda stuck on what colour to go with,, I do like the blue (kinda partial to blue as the last two pickups ( they weren't IH's) I had were blue and so is my bike) the seats are original and in pretty decent shape, and are done in the blue tweed and I think a good cleaning would bring them back to life. The colour is up for debate here at homestead as that this project is actually for my wife, more to follow on this one.

Gioscout2

Farmall Cub
Some more progress
I still have some fine tuning to do to the wheel wells to confirm a good fit but before they go in I had to fab up a new weld edge for the inner quarter as the one's that were there on both side were pretty rotted. So I made up these strips that I am going to have to weld from the inside of box area once I have them lined up to the wheel well area. Since I did not have to replace the outer quarter panels (which are good) however creates more work on having to come up with different ways to weld these wells back in.
IMG_0235.jpg
. More clean up around well area before final welding though.
IMG_0237.jpg
IMG_0239.jpg

Gioscout2

Farmall Cub
Made up some new gussets as I think is what they are called for this area under the floor , They wont get welded in until I clean the whole area with wire wheel, grinder, chisel , sander air gun and what ever other tool I have :gun_bandana: , oh and have to remove more of the P/O's work like the galv. metal he used to try and hide the rust.
IMG_0242.jpg

IMG_0247.jpg

Gioscout2

Farmall Cub
Spent some more time in my shop on the weekend, this area was in great condition once I removed the old undercoating that was on it, which probably saved it from decay.
IMG_0249.jpg

IMG_0251.jpg

IMG_0255.jpg

Gioscout2

Farmall Cub
Got my new rad ,, ( compare to the old one) no where near ready to install this , just had to show it...
IMG_0257.jpg

Gioscout2

Farmall Cub
Had some time today to get some more work done...
Finished for the most part the install and and welding of the rear floor
IMG_0267.jpg

I also started to attempt in fabbing up my own filler panels for inside the wheel wells, I couldn't see me paying $120.00 ( that would be almost $160.00 Canadian for me ) for each one of these panels , I put the old one next to the one I made, a bit of a difference :clap:, just have to finish the welding and make the other side.
IMG_0266.jpg

IMG_0269.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_0268.jpg
    IMG_0268.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 122