BinderPlanet.com

Welcome to BinderPlanet.com the World's Premier IH Website.

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

1978 Aussie Traveler

Friends of BinderPlanet Facebook Group

winchested

Dreams of Cub Cadets

They are an Australian online parts shop. Often have sales, so worth keeping an eye out if you don't need it super urgent.

The boss kit I ordered was for a VK-VL commodore, but then I didn't end up using it as I replaced the whole column and the new column came with a boss.
See them advertised on 4wd24/7 all the time!

Bradley56

Farmall Cub

They are an Australian online parts shop. Often have sales, so worth keeping an eye out if you don't need it super urgent.

The boss kit I ordered was for a VK-VL commodore, but then I didn't end up using it as I replaced the whole column and the new column came with a boss.
Ok Wow thanks for that!
Would be interested in what column you used?... Also Holden?... Is your build on any other sites besides here?

Sent from my HMA-L09 using Tapatalk

LukeM

Farmall Cub
Ok Wow thanks for that!
Would be interested in what column you used?... Also Holden?... Is your build on any other sites besides here?

Hi mate,

This is the only place I have a build thread.
The steering column I bought a brand new one, ADR compliant collapsible and adjustable. Cost a bit, but I started looking for HQ and similar columns on ebay and they were the same if not more!

I got 32" length.

Bradley56

Farmall Cub
Well, if a better seat base can't be found down there, here is mine. It's possible to send it, though I don't have a box big enough for it right now. If you just need the steel, so much the better.

And BTW, this is a good example of California surface rust. The piece is solid though.

View attachment 177975
Currently restoring my seats also!
910e53062654eb14f073cc62accc8506.jpg
5a68a95ff74827209d12504594e7d947.jpg

Bradley56

Farmall Cub
Hi mate,

This is the only place I have a build thread.
The steering column I bought a brand new one, ADR compliant collapsible and adjustable. Cost a bit, but I started looking for HQ and similar columns on ebay and they were the same if not more!

I got 32" length.
OH wow you are a wealth of information this column is fantastic and it outs the indicator on the right side!
Sorry to keep asking questions but what about the Ignition?... I looked at their sight and it did not mention key ignition!
I think mine is a bit dodgy after 42 years I could almost justify buying one of these!
Thank you for your posts and quick replies!

LukeM

Farmall Cub
OH wow you are a wealth of information this column is fantastic and it outs the indicator on the right side!
Sorry to keep asking questions but what about the Ignition?... I looked at their sight and it did not mention key ignition!
I think mine is a bit dodgy after 42 years I could almost justify buying one of these!
Thank you for your posts and quick replies!

I haven't got an ignition switch yet, but will get something like this I think:

and mount it on the dash.

Not sure if others have any better options, but haven't been able to find anything better so far.

Bradley56

Farmall Cub
I haven't got an ignition switch yet, but will get something like this I think:

and mount it on the dash.

Not sure if others have any better options, but haven't been able to find anything better so far.
Yes mate I agree!
Thinking the same thing!
Even a few hidden kill switches and a push button start!
But wondering about the steering lock function in the Column?????

Patrick Morris

Lives in an IH Dealership
Currently restoring my seats also!
That looks pretty snazzy. Did you go with different densities on the foam?

I finally pulled my one remaining stock seat base apart. As said, the steel is rock solid, just a little bad looking rust in the center, but it's only surface rust. All I can figure is some PO must have spilled their coke in their lap one day.

Too bad it would be so expensive to mail to Luke in Australia.

1612808938776.png

1612809134874.png

Bradley56

Farmall Cub
That looks pretty snazzy. Did you go with different densities on the foam?

I finally pulled my one remaining stock seat base apart. As said, the steel is rock solid, just a little bad looking rust in the center, but it's only surface rust. All I can figure is some PO must have spilled their coke in their lap one day.

Too bad it would be so expensive to mail to Luke in Australia.

View attachment 203643

View attachment 203644
Yes Mate!
The old foam was bad in some places so I cut it out and glued in new pieces then using new foam of different densities I have built it up and shaped it to give mire support like a modern seat also I bought some leather off cuts from a furniture manufacturer and will cover in 2 tone tan & walnut burgundy leather
a93ae555cd8c38d5f078c8c3485682b2.jpg
f8ac13305723dd68945aeea6ea69b5a8.jpg
88b27e166b76ccefaaf8450fca19e2f7.jpg

LukeM

Farmall Cub
Making some more progress.

Completed a lot of wiring. Made up a new loom for the dash with all new plugs. Ran everything down to the back lights and connected all of those.
Connected horn, electric water pump, electric thermo fan.

loom.jpg

Installed and connected headlights, front indicator lights, installed new bumper. Cleaned and painted the headlight surrounds and grille.

front end.jpg

Tail lights all installed and connected. I used some LED's for the reverse lights and put orange globes in the reverse section (we aren't allowed to have red blinkers in Australia).
Installed the tailgate and F100 straps. The gaps aren't great, but it seems the right rear quarter is bent out a bit at the top, so not sure there is anything I can do about that.

tailgate.jpg

Not happy with how the bumper sits on the original brackets. Really needs to move about 50mm towards the tail gate. I'm going to make up some new brackets.

TravelerMan79

Farmall Cub
Looking good! Did you use any chrome paint on the grill and headlight surrounds? My LS rear quarter was pushed out as well, but I attribute that to all the rust. I did manage to pull it back into position though even with the top still attached. Agree as well on closing the gap between the rear bumper and tailgate, but might be tricky to move up if frame rails fit into the bumper. Had same issue when I put a 25 mm body lift on my Lexus LX450/ 80 Series Land Cruiser when I purchased a used Slee rear bumper, but nothing I could do.

LukeM

Farmall Cub
Looking good! Did you use any chrome paint on the grill and headlight surrounds?
Didn't use any chrome paint, just some tin foil and some fine steel wool (0000).
There are some small bits at the top of the grille where the chrome has chipped off. I am waiting to see how it looks with the bonnet on before I paint them.
The headlight surrounds chrome was perfect, just needed a clean, then new black paint.