BinderPlanet.com

Welcome to BinderPlanet.com the World's Premier IH Website.

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

1978 Aussie Traveler

LukeM

Farmall Cub
Hi all,
I have started asking some questions in the tech forums so thought I should start a build thread. Good to have a place to have a sequential record of my work too.

I have recently acquired a 1978 Traveler, RHD, 345 V8.
It was a project that was started by PO but stalled a few years ago and not been touched since.

Body was taken off and blasted. 99% rust free. Resprayed in Concorde Blue and put back on. Was put in a shipping container after spray and sat for 5 years.

I purchased it about a month ago.
My plan:
Get it running, make sure it is all good mechanically, then start pulling things apart!

Main items in plan (likely to change...)
- More 'resto-mod' than keep everything original.
- Rewire all electrics - wiring is brittle and lots of dodgy connectors everywhere! This is probably first step as the shell is almost bare, so best time to do it.
- EFI
- Retrim seats, doors, dash
- Spray liner all inside floor surfaces
- New console + stereo (Tuffy or similar)
- Tailgate conversion (to allow roof off / soft top)
- Roll bar + lap sash seatbelts front and rear

watermark.php

watermark.php

20200129_154349.jpg

20200129_154356.jpg

Attachments

• 20200129_154630.jpg
    20200129_154630.jpg
    183.1 KB · Views: 64
  • 20200129_155827.jpg
    20200129_155827.jpg
    128.9 KB · Views: 62
  • 20200129_162127.jpg
    20200129_162127.jpg
    290.2 KB · Views: 63
  • 20200130_081218.jpg
    20200130_081218.jpg
    164.1 KB · Views: 66

J.J.

Lives in an IH Dealership
Awesome! Do you think it ever came with a dash pad? Interesting how they put the stickers right where the pad would be. It would be interesting to look at the Line Set Ticket too.

JJ in TN

LukeM

Farmall Cub
It has the steel surround for the instruments and then the dash pad that the runs onalong the top (currently cracked vinyl!).
No covering on the left hand side, no glove box either.

Tried to order a LST a couple of weeks back but still awaiting a reply from historical society.

J.J.

yeah, I noticed that there was no glove box. I have been to your country 4 times, wonderful place. Lots of IHs there hiding.

JJ in TN

stroker3

It has the steel surround for the instruments and then the dash pad that the runs onalong the top (currently cracked vinyl!).

Some postal scouts have similar decal(s) on the dash, no glovebox and a different dash pad than the left hand scoutII's. Guessing you have what your scout should.

00U0U_92LKxVa6Trx_600x450.jpg

LukeM

Farmall Cub
Been a bit slow going due to isolation and the truck not being at my place.
Have managed to build up a nice stockpile of parts waiting to be installed though - new wheel cylinders, brake hoses, pads, shoes, master cylinder. New alternator. New shocks and body mounts. Decided just because I can't work on it doesn't mean I can't spend money on it!

Did manage to pull the carby off and rebuild it after it was suggested here due to stalling as soon as I put it in gear. Put it back on yesterday and now it starts and idles in both neutral and drive. Just have a cracked exhaust manifold to deal with now (also in my pile of parts to be installed!).

Also found a good condition tailgate for the conversion and its getting sandblasted now. Few small rust spots, but nothing major.

image.jpg

TravelerMan79

Farmall Cub
Just looking at some old threads here about the tailgate conversion. Seems locking it was a bit of an issue. Not sure how or when I'll tackle that one. You Aussies are so lucky that you don't have to deal with the rust we Canadians have to deal with. Lol...

LukeM

Farmall Cub
Just looking at some old threads here about the tailgate conversion. Seems locking it was a bit of an issue. Not sure how or when I'll tackle that one. You Aussies are so lucky that you don't have to deal with the rust we Canadians have to deal with. Lol...

The actual liftgate conversion is on my list, but the more I think about it I may just go for the soft top and be done with it. We don't get the winter's you get either, so a soft top is a simple option. Thinking of a modified Jeep TJ roll bar like Winchested did to give me front and rear lap sash seatbelts. No off the shelf options here for Scouts.

TravelerMan79

Farmall Cub
Yes, a soft top is definitely on my shopping list as I really don't plan on driving mine in the winter after it's restored. Actually, when I first discovered the IH Traveler, I hadn't even thought that the lift-gate included the "tailgate". It wasn't until I saw an old sales photo of it without the topper that I noticed the missing tailgate. I couldn't believe that they would let people drive the vehicle without a tailgate and topper. It really makes you kinda wonder about the structural integrity of the body. I don't think you would get away with that today. Lol.

J.J.

Progress is good. Its a great idea to have your stockpile ready when you get it all in one place. When my frame was at the powdercoater and the body at the body shop I was stockpiling. It was a great thing to have when everything was back here, it was just a matter of walking to the storeroom.

JJ in TN

Greg Cejka

Farmall Cub
Tom was telling me that a jeep JK bikini top for a 4 door covers all the way to the back seat and is the same width just a lot less expensive. if you want to go that route

LukeM

Farmall Cub
Made some progress today. Got the transmission and transfer case out and delivered to the shop to get overhauled. Came out surprisingly easy, hope it goes in the same!
Need a new transmission mount. Looks like a rear main seal too. Now is the time to do it I guess.

20200527_132708.jpg
20200527_132645.jpg
mount.jpg

J.J.

that is nice and clean under there!

Mounts are easy to find, and poly is the way to go.

JJ in TN

LukeM

Farmall Cub
Bit more progress...
Finished the rear axles.
New bearings and seals on the axles.
New wheel cylinders, springs, shoes, drums, hard brake lines, brake hoses, hand brake cable.
Everything else cleaned, painted and reused.
Front next!
20200625_140745.jpg

J.J.

Nice! I think the rear axle on mine was my favorite part of my build. My 30 year old son is a mechanic at UPS in a sorting facility. We together rebuilt the front and rears on sawhorses this last year on Christmas Day together. Great time to spend with the kid !

JJ in TN