BinderPlanet.com

Welcome to BinderPlanet.com the World's Premier IH Website.

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

1977 Scout II body rebuild

Binder TV

Jrc55

Binder Driver
Way back in the beginning of this thread, you talked about taking some measurements of the tub. Do you have those written down, so you can post them up as a guide line. I'm getting ready to weld supports in the doors/tailgate and wondering how close they are with all the rot. Any help would be appreciated!!

I believe it's documented... 57 1/2 inches from bedside to bedside behind door on top of weatherstrip edge
IMG_20180829_094004932.jpg

This one is critical and so is each side to a point on the tranny tunnel
IMG_20181021_123015_707.jpg

as for tailgate and door openings, you make those what they need to be for good gaps. I thought the door was 46" from rear jamb to the front hinge pocket opening. but stock gaps are way to big.

I'm sorry that's not much help. I can take some crucial measurements on my finished scout if you need them now that all my panels fit nicely

Jrc55

Binder Driver
That last pic brings back memories of one of my favorite threads.... Hope all is well with you Jim. Any thoughts on when you might start on your 800?
Thanks Ed! Right now I am reorganizing the shop and building, buying and modifying tools. I got me one of them there fancy bead rollers and built a stand along with other things like a Johnson saw for my big English wheel Build which is next.
I’m going to use the same technique that I used for the stand to build some running boards for the scout II out of 2x4 tubing. Still have to catch up on everyone’s build

The 800 needs a chassis and stock axles before I can start and I’m having no local luck. I got an FJ40 in the meantime. Pics just for fun...
0813DA1B-2884-48F4-A7C3-0886FA6D4FF6.jpeg
64B34C75-02A3-4F10-8B30-91EAA2547337.jpeg
DF8157A7-BCCC-4512-9547-5463380B6B41.jpeg
6BB8E76E-8387-4C2F-B856-2A59105B0778.jpeg
79B97667-AE31-4C4A-AE0E-0047AC97DA1E.jpeg

mongocanfly

High Wheeler
That's a sweet looking roller jim...cant wait to see what you do with it...those fjs are one of the nicest looking things Toyota ever turned out..

Jrc55

Binder Driver
Thanks, Greg. love my little manual bead roller, but this thing does 16 gauge and should be able to turn out big panels and bed floors

mporter52

Binder Driver
Do you happen to remember if you used 16 or 18 gauge sheetmetal when rebuilding your window frame. Your thread inspired me to pick up a rusty frame and fix it. Thanks!
Mike

Jrc55

Binder Driver
Do you happen to remember if you used 16 or 18 gauge sheetmetal when rebuilding your window frame. Your thread inspired me to pick up a rusty frame and fix it. Thanks!
Mike

I believe that I used 20 gauge for all the outer steel. (I used whatever the parent metal happened to be since I had 12, 14, 16, 18, 20, and 22 gauge on hand). The inner windshield frame backbone I believe was 16 gauge and I made all those difficult panels out of 16 there. May I suggest that you invest in one of these and you'll always know what gauge you are working with...

30NX67_AS02.jpg

mongocanfly

High Wheeler
Wow...!...16ga in a beadroller..I assume that's aluminum.....impressive..Mittler makes some nice stuff

Last edited:

Jrc55

Binder Driver
Wow...!...16ga in a beadroller..I assume that's aluminum.....impressive..Mittler makes some nice stuff

No, Greg. Steel! It’s the big industrial motor powered 36”. It was hard to justify but setting up my retirement business requires an investment sometimes. I never went to college and don’t have a nice house so I justify these things in my head and have still managed to remain married!:laugh::laugh:

mongocanfly

High Wheeler
16ga steel beadrolling is impressive...I made a die and shoe to stamp 16ga..it takes a good bit of pressure to move the metal around...look forward to what what you turn out with it..
And you cant ever have to many tools...haha

Jrc55

Binder Driver
That’s what I want to get into next, Greg. I’m experimenting with delrin and making bushings and bead roller dies. I could never afford a power hammer but like you I want to make my own profiles to press. I bought some phenolic material and hope to get some delrin squares to cut contours for stamping a. Nice work Greg