1974 Scout II project

Discussion in 'Binder Builds' started by Sunshine, Apr 26, 2020.

1. Sunshine

Sunshine Farmall Cub

Hey there!

I just bought my first scout a few weeks back, it's a 1974 scout II, 4.2L 6 cylinder 258 I believe! To give you an idea of what I am working with.... When I got it, it started... with a little love via gas in dumped into the carb, and had a pretty rough idle (putt putt putt and would die within a minute or two without pumping the throttle). The body has what you would expect for rust, floor boards by doors and under seats a bit, fenders, and the body mounts under cab. Brakes are in seemingly good condition but I haven't pulled the tires off yet (disk up front, drum in the back). Fuel and brake lines look good, and the gas tank looks good with barely any rust!

Currently I don't have the space/means to start tackling any body issues (We're in the process of buying a house), so I figured I would start with the engine (I'd like to be able to drive it to our potential new house)! First, I gave the engine a nice little scrub to see what I was working with and make it easier to find and address any leaks. Next, I changed the spark plugs and some rubber fuel hoses that were cracked. I noticed the oil pressure sender/switch had a steady drip of oil coming out of it so I replaced that today, so far so good!

The good stuff!
    I pulled the carb off the other day and took it apart to clean it and rebuild it, got it all put together and back on the truck tonight. She started right up and idled nice! I let it idle for a few minutes until I couldn't resist the urge to drive it anymore, jumped in, put it in reverse and backed out of the driveway, shifted into drive and when I tapped the gas pedal it sputtered a bit and died. I started it back up and was able to putt back into the driveway. I'm not sure where to go from here... I've read that there could be a vacuum leak or maybe the vacuum break booster? Or that I potentially messed up the carb when rebuilding it...

Did I mention that I am NOT a mechanic! I can find my way around an engine and the shop pretty well, but am just beginning my restoration career, please be easy on me. Also, I understand that this is going to be a timely and costly adventure with a lot of learning as I go. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
    - Sunshine!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 26, 2020
    TravelerMan79 likes this.
  2. Justutt67

Justutt67 Farmall Cub

Nice are you in CO? I thought I saw that Scout on Craigslist. I think he had 2 for sale? There are lots of good builds on this sight with tons of info and pictures to help you out.

3. Sunshine

Sunshine Farmall Cub

I'm in the Denver area now, headed to FoCo soon! And yeah I got it from Craigslist, he only had this one left when I got there! I couldn't pass it up!